Dungeons and Dragons, a return

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dropping a weapon is a free action. Drawing/picking up a weapon is an object interaction.

That isn't how two weapon fighting works in 5e...
Your character gets X attacks per round (determined by the books). Using a second weapon changes that to X+1 attacks, with the single extra attack being with the off-hand. That off-hand attack doesn't get your usual bonuses unless you have the Two weapon fighting style or feat. And both of your weapons need to have the LIGHT property, so forget about using two longswords.
It's not a very good implementation, in my opinion. I think it was done for balance, but it just makes two weapon fighting untenable.
I’m only recently converted from 1st Ed to 5 th Ed having disdainfully dismissed all versions between with barely a notice. I have a lot to learn in 5 e.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not really clear in any sourcebook. It is, I think, one of the worst written bits of 5e rules. It takes a lot of pondering and reading, and even then you end up scratching your head and going "huh???" a lot.
The two-weapon rules also ignore your ability to block with those weapons.

Granted, two weapon fighting that allowed their defensive use as well as doubling the number of possible attacks would be somewhat unbalancing. But if you've ever fought someone who is using two weapons and is truly ambidextrous, it IS unbalancing.

You could give them the Sentinel feat then. But reactions need to have limits too. You might also look at the Legendary Actions.

One of the things 5e does right, mostly, is that the rules apply to PCs, NPCs, and monsters. There are some exceptions, but those are being removed.
I agree that adhering to the rules ought to be universal for the most part. But I’m a new DM and not a professional game maker and this is a home-brew so I’m gonna muddle though as inspiration hits me. 😁

I want the two-weapon wielding to be overwhelming. In the books, everyone runs when the Huntsmen show up because they scare the bejeezuz out of them. I want to convey that same idea.

And another augmentation I forgot to mention: they gain an armor class bonus as long as they are wielding dual weapons. That kicks in after something like 50% or 75% of the war party has been killed, they don’t start with it. I see it as a result of getting stronger and faster, they gain the strength of their fallen comrades.

I give the standard huntsmen a short sword and hand axe for their melee weapons. But I also include a Captain for each war band. His strength is 18 and he stands about 6’8” - 7’ tall, and he wields a longsword and battle axe. Or other weapons that do not have the “two-handed” or “heavy” designation. He also gets 50% more HP than the rest of his band starts with, and he gets cantrip level spells and healing spells to boot.

These guys are henchmen for a magic user of some sort.

So yeah, I’m breaking some rules but it is in the spirit of making for a terrifying experience.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m only recently converted from 1st Ed to 5 th Ed having disdainfully dismissed all versions between with barely a notice. I have a lot to learn in 5 e.
One thing I find odd is that players can level-up for accomplishing tasks/mini-adventures within the larger adventure, instead of counting XP. It isnt clear to me if this is intended to replace XP or if it is just an option. You can still tally XP, the values are available. But that was my big criticism about Dragon of Icespire Peak, often the tasks were short on challenge, and if you tally the XP, it just does not add up to justify the advancement in level.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't, at this point. OneD&D is in play testing, so you'd just be starting over again as soon as it's released.
I agree that adhering to the rules ought to be universal for the most part. But I’m a new DM and not a professional game maker and this is a home-brew so I’m gonna muddle though as inspiration hits me. 😁
Rule zero, AKA The Rule of Cool says do whatever you want.
I want the two-weapon wielding to be overwhelming.
Then it'll be overwhelming when your players do the same thing... That's where things like this get sticky.
In the books, everyone runs when the Huntsmen show up because they scare the bejeezuz out of them. I want to convey that same idea.
Easy enough to do. Assign them classes and subclasses and add a couple levels beyond the party. Battlemaster Fighters, Kensei Monks, things like that.
And another augmentation I forgot to mention: they gain an armor class bonus as long as they are wielding dual weapons. That kicks in after something like 50% or 75% of the war party has been killed, they don’t start with it. I see it as a result of getting stronger and faster, they gain the strength of their fallen comrades.
There are Warlocks who can do that. And pretty much everybody multiclasses.
I give the standard huntsmen a short sword and hand axe for their melee weapons. But I also include a Captain for each war band. His strength is 18 and he stands about 6’8” - 7’ tall, and he wields a longsword and battle axe. Or other weapons that do not have the “two-handed” or “heavy” designation.
RAW, that doesn't work. They specifically need the "light" property. But you can easily create a longsword clone and give it the light property. Just remember it'll still have that property when your players pick it up off the battlefield.
He also gets 50% more HP than the rest of his band starts with, and he gets cantrip level spells and healing spells to boot.
Cantrips from what class?
I'd suggest getting on something like D&DBeyond. Tinker. You can do what you're describing within the rules, and I think that when you can, it's better to do it that way than by fiat. But that's me.
One thing I find odd is that players can level-up for accomplishing tasks/mini-adventures within the larger adventure, instead of counting XP. It isnt clear to me if this is intended to replace XP or if it is just an option. You can still tally XP, the values are available. But that was my big criticism about Dragon of Icespire Peak, often the tasks were short on challenge, and if you tally the XP, it just does not add up to justify the advancement in level.
The idea is to use one or the other, not both. If you've got a campaign all mapped out, including encounters and the BBEG, it's likely you already have in mind what levels the party should be for each story arc. So you level them that way. Sometimes that means going up a couple levels, or going up in the middle of an arc. This also completely divorces leveling from fighting.

Or you can add up EXP. The drawback to this is that they may or may not be the appropriate level for that CR17 BBEG encounter. Adjusting on the fly is fine, but better, I think, if it works out as planned. Ending with a TPK because they didn't do enough side stuff to get exp is a bummer.

Us old farts grew up counting EXP, but after a bit of exposure, I think the milestones method is actually better.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I mentioned this a couple times, but finished making a martialtalk campaign. Have a busy January, so the end of january/beginning February I'll start it online. Going to send a poll to see who wants to join, and who's okay with the time (thinking Saturday nights). The campaign in question will be almost purely martial classes, to fight martialtalk.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I mentioned this a couple times, but finished making a martialtalk campaign. Have a busy January, so the end of january/beginning February I'll start it online. Going to send a poll to see who wants to join, and who's okay with the time (thinking Saturday nights). The campaign in question will be almost purely martial classes, to fight martialtalk.
Planning to play over Discord and/or Roll20 or some such?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've also got a homebrew class that I finished making for a medic. In case anyone wants to play it for the purpose of healing, without relying on magic. It's a druid class but not d&d druid so much as Celtic druidry.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rule zero, AKA The Rule of Cool says do whatever you want.
Yup, and the DM is always right. That what this how whole thing is based on.

What rule says that a troll gets to regenerate unless hit with fire or acid? “The rule of the troll” that defines what a troll is.

In the same way, I am making a rule (for me, in my games) that defines what a huntsman is. If my huntsmen have the desired effect on my players, and they enjoy the challenge, then I’ve done a good job of designing “the rule of the huntsmen”. I recognize that my huntsmen is a work in progress. But I have no qualms about giving him the features and abilities that I have done, as long as I find that it plays well, even if it clashes with a few of the formal rules. I will never, at least as a DM, play in a big tournament or gen-con or whatever where I would need to have my home brew approved by some higher D&D authority. I am playing with my family, and I doubt anybody but perhaps some friends of my son (currently age nine) and perhaps some of those parents will ever join our game. So, as DM I make the final rules and my newly created monster will play as I deem fit within my games.

Then it'll be overwhelming when your players do the same thing... That's where things like this get sticky.

But they don’t get to do the same thing. The rule of the huntsmen gives them certain abilities. The players are not huntsmen. In the same way that Players do not get to decide that they regenerate unless hit by fire or acid, like a troll does. Players are not trolls.
Easy enough to do. Assign them classes and subclasses and add a couple levels beyond the party. Battlemaster Fighters, Kensei Monks, things like that.

There are Warlocks who can do that. And pretty much everybody multiclasses.

Sure, it’s a work in progress and so far I have been functioning with the rules from the Essentials set. As I get into the more complete rules I may find a better way to structure the huntsmen.
RAW, that doesn't work. They specifically need the "light" property. But you can easily create a longsword clone and give it the light property. Just remember it'll still have that property when your players pick it up off the battlefield.

except that It does work, because of the rule of the huntsmen. It is in the definition of who and what they are. I have written that ability into their stat bloc.
Cantrips from what class?
I'd suggest getting on something like D&DBeyond. Tinker. You can do what you're describing within the rules, and I think that when you can, it's better to do it that way than by fiat. But that's me.

Mostly wizard combat cantrips, and a couple of cleric healing spells. Again, I’ve been working from the Essentials set rules, and I may find something better in the complete rule set.
The idea is to use one or the other, not both. If you've got a campaign all mapped out, including encounters and the BBEG, it's likely you already have in mind what levels the party should be for each story arc. So you level them that way. Sometimes that means going up a couple levels, or going up in the middle of an arc. This also completely divorces leveling from fighting.

Or you can add up EXP. The drawback to this is that they may or may not be the appropriate level for that CR17 BBEG encounter. Adjusting on the fly is fine, but better, I think, if it works out as planned. Ending with a TPK because they didn't do enough side stuff to get exp is a bummer.

Us old farts grew up counting EXP, but after a bit of exposure, I think the milestones method is actually better.

Yeah, it’s a new approach for me and I am evaluating how I feel about it. As that particular adventure was written, the challenge was poor compared to the level jump it was intended to justify. It was simply weak, if XP were being counted, it wouldn’t justify the jump for a single player, never mind a team of five.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've also got a homebrew class that I finished making for a medic. In case anyone wants to play it for the purpose of healing, without relying on magic. It's a druid class but not d&d druid so much as Celtic druidry.
Would love to take a look at what you created. Is it a complete stand-alone class that can advance up the levels, or more like a skillset that an existing class can take on?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Combo. Discord for voice chat, but roll20 to share maps. and Kanka.io to share any journals or adventures people make.
Well count me in.
So... the Healer feat?
You are an able physician, allowing you to mend wounds quickly and get your allies back in the fight. You gain the following benefits:

• When you use a healer's kit to stabilize a dying creature, that creature also regains 1 hit point.
  • As an action, you can spend one use of a healer's kit to tend to a creature and restore 1d6 + 4 hit points to it, plus additional hit points equal to the creature's maximum number of Hit Dice. The creature can't regain hit points from this feat again until it finishes a short or long rest.
If you're not using magic at all, I'd just drop the short rest requirement (the whole "X times per short rest" is one of the things going away with OneD&D).

Are you restricting the classes/races/sourcebooks used?

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well count me in.

So... the Healer feat?
If you're not using magic at all, I'd just drop the short rest requirement (the whole "X times per short rest" is one of the things going away with OneD&D).

Are you restricting the classes/races/sourcebooks used?
Is the OneD&D an online/electronic format? I’ve heard of it but don’t know how it will differ in actual rule sets from the 5e. Personally, I don’t like the idea of playing in an online format if my players are sitting at the table with me. I actually like holding my Character sheets in my hand, flipping the pages in the rule book to look up a spell or some rule application, and actually rolling the dice on the table. I don’t like an app generating my roll values for me, and keeping track of my character info.

Looks like I better start buying up the books before they become hard to get and expensive.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the OneD&D an online/electronic format?
The playtest material is online, but it will be published in book form when it is officially released.
I’ve heard of it but don’t know how it will differ in actual rule sets from the 5e.
Well of course not. Unless you're part of the playtesting, you wouldn't. :)
Personally, I don’t like the idea of playing in an online format if my players are sitting at the table with me. I actually like holding my Character sheets in my hand, flipping the pages in the rule book to look up a spell or some rule application, and actually rolling the dice on the table. I don’t like an app generating my roll values for me, and keeping track of my character info.
Online resources are wonderful.

Here's a link to a 6th level Circle of Dreams Druid I play.

Want to check details on a spell? You can grab the PHB and flipping pages, only to find out that this spell is from one of the supplements, you can just click on the spell. Boom.

Character info? It's there, but you still change it yourself. The big difference is you won't wear out your Current HP by repeatedly erasing the field.

I prefer to roll my own dice. Because I just do. And so I generally do. But it's also nice to know that I could, if I wanted, join a game using nothing other than my iPhone.

And there's nothing better for beginners. Making a new character but some of the details are unfamiliar to you? No worries. The system will not allow you to break the rules.
[Edit to add]
The character I linked is a good example. Not sure how the Circle of Life healing bonus interacts with the Druids Goodberry spell? The system knows, and you will learn.

Don't have all the sourcebooks? Also no problem. D&DBeyond, at least, allows a player to share their online sourcebooks with everybody in their group. I have all the online resources (and most of them in paper as well). I created a campaign called "Marks Materials Management". I can send that link to people, they join, and they have access to all of those sourcebooks, same as if I handed them the book across the table.
Looks like I better start buying up the books before they become hard to get and expensive.
Not to worry. The availability of online sources will not affect paper publishing.

I use the online and PDF versions far more than the paper, but there's nothing stopping you from using a pencil. Or a quill and ink bottle, if that's how you roll.

Last edited:
OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The playtest material is online, but it will be published in book form when it is officially released.

Well of course not. Unless you're part of the playtesting, you wouldn't. :)

Online resources are wonderful.

Here's a link to a 6th level Circle of Dreams Druid I play.

Want to check details on a spell? You can grab the PHB and flipping pages, only to find out that this spell is from one of the supplements, you can just click on the spell. Boom.

Character info? It's there, but you still change it yourself. The big difference is you won't wear out your Current HP by repeatedly erasing the field.

I prefer to roll my own dice. Because I just do. And so I generally do. But it's also nice to know that I could, if I wanted, join a game using nothing other than my iPhone.

And there's nothing better for beginners. Making a new character but some of the details are unfamiliar to you? No worries. The system will not allow you to break the rules.

Don't have all the sourcebooks? Also no problem. D&DBeyond, at least, allows a player to share their online sourcebooks with everybody in their group. I have all the online resources (and most of them in paper as well). I created a campaign called "Marks Materials Management". I can send that link to people, they join, and they have access to all of those sourcebooks, same as if I handed them the book across the table.

Not to worry. The availability of online sources will not affect paper publishing.

I use the online and PDF versions far more than the paper, but there's nothing stopping you from using a pencil. Or a quill and ink bottle, if that's how you roll.
Good info, thanks. And yeah, there are so many supplements now, it seems you never have it all. I can see that as an issue.

I just like books. 😁

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One caveat.

D&D Beyond is free to use, but with limited sources. Any sources you buy online, you have, of course.
The resource sharing requires one person to have a paid subscription. I do. So if this game materializes, I will be happy to provide sourcebook sharing.
I have all the sourcebooks online except Spelljammer and Theros.

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
But do I get to be a real troll? My special abilities would be taunting and regenerating with a new name each time I die.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the Adventures in Middle-Earth RPG? It takes place during the 60-year time period after the Battle of Five Armies and before Bilbo’s eleventy-first birthday. Looks like it came out in 2016, they published two rule books and a dozen or so adventure books, each one taking place in a different region in ME. Then they stopped publishing over some licensing issues, sold it to a different company who is now publishing it as a new edition called One Ring or something.

Anyone know where this is headed? I have a few questions:

How different is the new edition from the original?
Are the old adventure books compatible with the new edition? They have become expensive.
Will the old adventure books be re-published for the new edition?
Are there plans for new adventures that weren’t part of the original?

Would love to get some info so I know where this is headed.

Latest Discussions