D&d

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've noticed alot of people here either currently play D&D or have played in the past. Just thought I'd create a thread dedicated to discussing the game and favorite characters you have played or currently play.

I started playing almost three years ago. Play once a month now if we are lucky. Still on my first character! Human 1 Sorc/9 Wiz. Pretty slick character, but since he was my first, wish I could start over and correct some of the mistakes I made! But you live and learn :) We are playing "Temple of Elemental Evil" now, which has proven pretty fun... The DM has been playing since AD&D. Just changed to 3.5 last year.

I spend time designing new characters too, if mine (Caladros) ever dies. I get about as much pleasure planning as playing :)

MrH

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good thread, mrhnau! (Why didn't I think of it?)

I've been playing D&D for 24 years. I've played the initial offering (that contained only a 1 red and 1 green book), first edition, second edition, 3.0 and a bit of 3.5. I still have most of the books from the original series like Legends and Lore, Oriental Adventures (where we first saw the monk class), and Unearthed Arcana (now rereleased in 3.5).

I've played every main character class but have spent the majority of my time as a DM. I have my own campaign world based off of my first game as a PC. I've been developing this game world for 24 years then so it's well-detailed.

I've written a lot of material on this world. My plan had been to write a source book (similar to Eberon or Forgotten Realms) that would be available to my players. I was going to have it bound and everything, just as a personal endeavor. Of course, like many personal endeavors, it tends to get sidetracked for years at a time. I haven't given up on it though.

As a DM I've had the pleasure of watching my players develop much of my world through their adventures. My original characters are now demi-gods of this world and even some of the players' characters have advanced to this rank.

I am definitely not a power gamer though. I try to create rich tapestries of adventure that allow many opportunities for role-playing and character development. This is what creates such a vibrant and dynamic history for a good game world.

My longest campaign took me 2 years to write and 3 1/2 years to play. This was back in college. I had a party of 6 players. We'd play every Tuesday and Thursday from 6pm to sometime in the wee hours of the early morning (sometimes all night through). So, in 3 1/2 years we racked up a whole lotta gaming hours!

So there. I've firmly established myself as an uber-geek!

D&D is the greatest game ever because of the infinite possibilities of game play. It is the one love that both my wife and I share (well, besides our kids, of course).

I hope this thread goes somewhere. There are a lot of cool ideas that could be shared. Thanks for posting it.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I played in high school and some in college. However, when I got to college, I made the unfortunate choice of joining the "games club." I walked in the first day and I had the distinct impression that everyone was staring at me through pop bottles.

Anyway, I like telling stories, so the game was a natural fit. I don't play much now, but maybe I'll start again when my kids get older and if they are interested.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My wife has been wanting very much to play. She finds it to be one of the things that allows her to safely escape life stresses long enough to refocus. I'm going to start a new campaign just for her.

Since I'm at work right now, on my salaried position, obviously I'm spending all my time hanging out on the forum and working on D&D games. :supcool:

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Navarre said:
My wife has been wanting very much to play. She finds it to be one of the things that allows her to safely escape life stresses long enough to refocus. I'm going to start a new campaign just for her.

Since I'm at work right now, on my salaried position, obviously I'm spending all my time hanging out on the forum and working on D&D games. :supcool:

My wife wanted to play, so I started a small campaign (5 people). She had some "personality conflicts" and got disinterested LOL. So, I'm just playing in the other campaign now, when I get the time :)

MrH

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, my wife doesn't play well with others. She has "reasons" for it but honestly she just wants the game to revolve around her.

Since I can't seem to get out of the house except to go to work and buy diapers, I've decided to at least make use of the time by playing with her at home.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I played in the late 70s and early 80s (high school and college). I often got called on to DM, but when I played I had a long-running druid character.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Yes, my wife doesn't play well with others. She has "reasons" for it but honestly she just wants the game to revolve around her.

Since I can't seem to get out of the house except to go to work and buy diapers, I've decided to at least make use of the time by playing with her at home.

We had discussed the idea of a personal game too, with her playing perhaps two maybe three characters. We also discussed the idea of letting her DM once in a while, and me take over her characters... again, we have just not had time lately!

I enjoy creating, I think thats my thing... I love to plan! Being a DM fit me well. Maybe in the future I'll do it again... we will see!

MrH

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I played in the late 70s and early 80s (high school and college). I often got called on to DM, but when I played I had a long-running druid character.

I don't know if I'd play a druid... I've got about 4 characters rolled up and planned to level 12. I've played a magic user, so I rolled up some fighter types. I'd probably be happy with a mix between magic/fighting... My next character is going to be a Ranger/Bard. Excellant for support and tracking :)

MrH

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My wife and I have played d&d together in the past. Sometimes with people and sometimes by ourselves. For those occasions, we downloaded, some *ahem* special rules. And let me tell you, Nat 20's are pretty friggin sweet.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Who needs to be able to track? Trouble finds me.

Well, in our group, its often the case that we kill a handful of baddies, then one or two always winds up getting scared and running away. It would be useful to be able to track them and kill them! Need the goodies they have :)

Normally, they find us too, or at least we know where they are hiding (at least with good proximity). We also have some good sneakers who can spy on them before being seen... however, I think a ranger would be a good compliment to our group in particular. We have an 8-9 person group at the moment. It varies from time to time...

MrH

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've played the initial offering (that contained only a 1 red and 1 green book), first edition,
yep had the first set and used those rules for a few years.

I still play once in a while but some where along the line while moveing a few times I lost most of my original chars.
I always played with the same group for years and it was fun watching them try to develop new ideas and ways of doing things so the game did not stagnate or they become perdictable in their play

Latest Discussions