Too Many People Miss My Points

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Too many people on this forum miss my points. Now that's not the same as agreeing with my points, Im fine with people disagreeing with my points, but the problem is when people don't get my points in the first place. I must say, some of the people on this forum are kings and queens of missing points.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
First, posting a piece disparaging other is not going to help you with understanding point issue

Second, speaking as someone who is married to a woman from another country who continually misunderstands what I am trying to say and continually miss my point, sometimes you have to say things differently or come up with other words to get your point across works wonders. Certainly it works much better than blaming other for the misunderstanding and then calling them names

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
, speaking as someone who is married to a woman from another country who continually misunderstands what I am trying to say and continually miss my point, sometimes you have to say things differently or come up with other words to get your point across works wonders.
Trust me, this does not only apply to spouses from another country. And it's not just limited to spouses. Misunderstandings occur in all walks of life: Work, love, school, social, teaching MA...

Effective communication depends on both parties having the same frame of reference, whether it be language, experience, or view of the world. Lacking this, one must adjust their communication style or method, so it clicks with the other party in one of these respects.

Sometimes, one isn't aware or educated enough to realize this so often runs into communication problems. Sometimes we are so Chauvinistic that we believe everyone thinks, or should think, like we do. "Why don't those damn Europeans all speak English?"

Just like in sparring, we have to recognize the other's style and adapt our own to effectively interact.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think another factor is we're online, no tone of voice to hear, no looking at the person who's sharing a point or expressing an opinion.

That and we're all pretty much nucking futs.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I missed the point of this thread. 😕
Was it to blame everyone else for ones own errors, or perhaps it was to ask for advise on how to better communicate? I know in the past I felt this forum was a good testing ground for my own ability to type out thoughts and put forth a solid argument. The honing of this skill is in its essence, how to think properly. This was the reason one would go to university for the humanities. To learn to think deeply and communicate. Everyone thinks they can do this naturally, just like everyone thinks they can fight. However as Mike Tyson said " everyone has a plan (thinks they can fight) until they get punched in the face". Similarly everyone thinks they can use their brain and communicate until people miss their point.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Too many people on this forum miss my points. Now that's not the same as agreeing with my points, Im fine with people disagreeing with my points, but the problem is when people don't get my points in the first place. I must say, some of the people on this forum are kings and queens of missing points.
I think one thing that's tough to tell with your posts are; sometimes you seem to post as if you are making a point contrary to your actual point (ie: posting about belt tests mattering a lot as the argument of others, but not making it clear it's not what you think). So clarifying your own point rather than focusing on others might help.

Also, not recently but in the past you used a lot of analogies. Using analogies as a debate tool is inherently flawed, they are much better as a teaching tool.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think one thing that's tough to tell with your posts are; sometimes you seem to post as if you are making a point contrary to your actual point (ie: posting about belt tests mattering a lot as the argument of others, but not making it clear it's not what you think). So clarifying your own point rather than focusing on others might help.

Also, not recently but in the past you used a lot of analogies. Using analogies as a debate tool is inherently flawed, they are much better as a teaching tool.
Using analogies to explain things is a lot like swimming in a corn starch pool.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. I definitely wouldn't become consumed by it. The downside to the Internet Discussion is that we often read with our arrogance and our ego. I'm no exception. As a result we read things out of context. I think the biggest issue about this group is that we are too eager to point out exceptions and I think that is because we try to be too accurate like a kung fu form or a kata and as a result we missed the point of why the form /kata was created in the first place.

It's bound to be an issue here. There's no escape.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
6ogzoj.jpg

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think one thing that's tough to tell with your posts are; sometimes you seem to post as if you are making a point contrary to your actual point (ie: posting about belt tests mattering a lot as the argument of others, but not making it clear it's not what you think).
Whether or not belt tests matter a lot depends. Some students want to earn belts some students don't, so it depends on what the student wants.

So clarifying your own point rather than focusing on others might help.
Perhaps, and it would also help if people wouldn't take into account stuff I've said in other threads.
People use analogies as debate tools all the time. Ever listen to discussions about politics? Tons of analogies are used when discussing politics.

Latest Discussions