Drill 1 step 1 punch 1000 times

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ― Henry Ford

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.– Bruce Lee

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed, to an extent. It’s still repetitive use of the joints, and takes some building up to. A person in their 20’s might be able to deal with that kind of strain from the start.
It depends a lot on how you execute your technique. If you muscle through it and snap the punch at the elbows and shoulders, you will get injured. If you can relax and punch with the whole body, then injury is much less likely.

Even so, building up to it and managing fatigue is still important.

I’m almost 47. Yesterday I did 1000 punches. I’ve not done that many reps in a long time. I had no problems doing it. But I don’t muscle through my technique.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Practice does not make perfect. Perfect Practice makes perfect. o_O
If you muscle through it and snap the punch at the elbows and shoulders, you will get injured. If you can relax and punch with the whole body, then injury is much less likely.
This is why for each and every punch, I will follow the guidelines:

- Short inhale and long exhale. This is different from the natural breathing.
- Body push shoulder, shoulder push elbow, elbow push hand. No snap on my shoulder and elbow joint.
- Use bow-arrow stance and forward lean to initiate the forward momentum.

I will check my

- initial bow-arrow stance,
- transition side empty stance.
- ending 3-7 stance.

are all perfect. Since every punch will take me about 2.5 second (1 inhale and 1 exhale), I have plenty of time to check my structure.

2018 give me a new goal. I want to add "health" into my MA training goal.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To be honest my knee was fine, where I really had a strange "pain" was my hip lol.
You are right! It's the hip joint and not the knee joint. I have done high kick all my life. Today when I swing my leg upward, I can hear the crack noise in my hip joint.

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You are right! It's the hip joint and not the knee joint. I have done high kick all my life. Today when I swing my leg upward, I can hear the crack noise in my hip joint.
So how should I go about kicking then? I mean I don't do 1000 reps on a regular basis. But how to practice kicking without risking damage in the long run I mean we don't practice to suffer lol.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends a lot on how you execute your technique. If you muscle through it and snap the punch at the elbows and shoulders, you will get injured. If you can relax and punch with the whole body, then injury is much less likely.

Even so, building up to it and managing fatigue is still important.

I’m almost 47. Yesterday I did 1000 punches. I’ve not done that many reps in a long time. I had no problems doing it. But I don’t muscle through my technique.
If I'd ever done anything close to 1,000, it would probably not be an issue. I doubt I've ever done more than 200 of any single technique in a session, and rarely that many. I tend to do long chains, random bagwork, or groups of 20-50 at a time. That new level of activity would almost certainly lead to problems, even if I was doing the punches slow and soft. I just haven't built up the stamina in the small muscles for that kind of thing. Oddly, I can probably take more falls in a training session than I can throw punches in a row.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So how should I go about kicking then? I mean I don't do 1000 reps on a regular basis. But how to practice kicking without risking damage in the long run I mean we don't practice to suffer lol.
It is the same idea, but you flick out your foot, and precede the landing with the lunge punch.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It more of a grind up to it, if you have been moving differently, your whole life, but it should just be like walking down the road.
It's not so much a matter of the manner of movement - I've been training some of these strikes since I was 12. It's more about what I've (not) developed the support muscle stamina for. If I went and did 500 strikes today, I can say with certainty that my right shoulder (and perhaps the left) would be crap tomorrow, and the tendinitis and such in my forearms/elbows would be made much worse.

Work up to it over time, and I can probably get to 1,000 without any of that.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO, you should try not to put that "snap" into your kick. Old saying said, "You train how to hurt your opponent with your MA training. It makes no sense to hurt yourself in your MA training."

Reactions: 666
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I went and did 500 strikes today, I can say with certainty that my right shoulder (and perhaps the left) would be crap tomorrow, and the tendinitis and such in my forearms/elbows would be made much worse.
I have done 1000 punches for 3 days now. I have never felt this great before.

Training for fight and training for health is different. I can't believe that I start to talk about "health" in MA forum. When I have seen people of my age passed away, it makes me to wonder what's the value that you have good fighting skill but you can't live long.

When you train for

- fighting, you want to throw your punch as fast and as powerful as you can.
- health, you are training for your breathing. The slower that you breath, the slower that you punch.

My punching drill contain:

- 1 uppercut, and
- 1 palm strike.

It's like a small circle followed by a big circle, and a big circle followed by a small circle. When I train for

- fighting, I'll put power in both uppercut and palm strike.
- health, since I'm using the small circle uppercut for inhale, the big circle palm strike for exhale, I'm not thinking about speed and power but my breathing. In other words, no matter how many reps that I do, my breathing will always be normal.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Training for fight and training for health is different. I can't believe that I start to talk about "health" in MA forum. When I have seen people of my age passed away, it makes me to wonder what's the value that you have good fighting skill but you can't live long.

When you train for

- health, you are training for your breathing. The slower that you breath, the slower that you punch.

- 1 uppercut, and
- 1 palm strike.

It's like a small circle followed by a big circle, and a big circle followed by a small circle. When I train for

- health, since I'm using the small circle uppercut for inhale, the big circle palm strike for exhale, I'm not thinking about speed and power but my breathing. In other words, no matter how many reps that I do, my breathing will always be normal.
This goes to my comment in another thread about there being some difference in the "right way", depending upon the purpose of the practice.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've always wondered this myself too, it seems pointless to train in such a way that will leave you crippled later.. I've always been taught to not fully extend each punch or kick to its absolute end range of motion. So there's still sort of a 'snap', but you don't extend out fully so that the impact of the technique puts the force into the joint (you don't want the power/momentum to push out through the joint). In other words, leave a slight bend in the elbow or knee at the end of the technique. This leads to more controlled techniques too, as they're not being just thrown out with full force, and it relies more on muscular control.

It's good to imagine how it would be punching something or someone. Even hitting the bag you're not ever fully extending the joint to the max, when you hit there's resistance and it stops you from fully extending out. It makes sense that training in the air should resemble that.

When you train for

- 1 uppercut, and
- 1 palm strike.

Ah that's really insightful... definitely going to explore and train with this in mind more... *bows deeply*

Reactions: 666

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered this myself too, it seems pointless to train in such a way that will leave you crippled later.. I've always been taught to not fully extend each punch or kick to its absolute end range of motion. So there's still sort of a 'snap', but you don't extend out fully so that the impact of the technique puts the force into the joint (you don't want the power/momentum to push out through the joint). In other words, leave a slight bend in the elbow or knee at the end of the technique. This leads to more controlled techniques too, as they're not being just thrown out with full force, and it relies more on muscular control.

It's good to imagine how it would be punching something or someone. Even hitting the bag you're not ever fully extending the joint to the max, when you hit there's resistance and it stops you from fully extending out. It makes sense that training in the air should resemble that.Ah that's really insightful... definitely going to explore and train with this in mind more... *bows deeply*
I have fully extended joints a few times when getting too creative working at the bag. It has never felt like a good idea.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have fully extended joints a few times when getting too creative working at the bag. It has never felt like a good idea.
Yeah I've done it accidently, if I mistime a punch thinking the bag is closer than it is haha

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keeping within the original style discussed, a couple years ago I once gave myself tennis elbow getting a bit to over zealous training Paoquan

I actually wonder if some of my current "golfer's elbow" is from some of the striking drills I've been working on lately.

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So is it safe to perform high reps of push ups everyday?
300-xxx