Double kick and weak side round kick

Thadyce

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a few problems kicking with my right leg ( My left leg is amazing ) how can I strengthen that side so that I can kick evenly on both sides. Also I want to know how to transition my hips to do a quick double kick. When I see it done it looks easy but I can't seem to get my hips to rotate quick enough to pull it off... any help guys?

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you trying to turn your hips all the way over for both kicks? If you are, don't turn your hip too much for the first kick. Concentrate on trying to turn the hips on the last kick. Also, make sure you aren't leaning back too much. That can also make it more difficult to rotate the hips.

Sent from my SHV-E210K using Tapatalk 2

KingDiesel

White Belt
Reaction score
on the first question of getting your right leg to where your left leg is i would say force yourself to use it more because it may not be that that the right leg is weak kicking it could be that your body is used to the right leg using its stabilizer muscles but not the left leg using its SM so force yourself to kick with your right leg like when doing bag work or when your doing free drills in class force the use of that right leg

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can turn your hip into both kicks on a double kick, but it telegraphs like you wouldnt believe. Just feint the first kick and jump into the second.
Also, get a video camera. Youre probably suffering from feeling-like-youre-moving-slower-than-you-really-are :)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't believe in fainting the first kick. If you miss the first kick then fine but I like to use the first kick to slingshot you into the second kick. Makes the second kick more powerful and your second kick should be more powerful even if you miss the first kick. Here is short vid of my son doing a double kick in a match. As you will see his first kick makes contact and he uses that to slingshot his second kick. Much faster and much more powerful.

[yt]JOuyxuo4aO4[/yt]

This is my son a couple of years ago doing a front leg double at Nationals. You will see he also make contact with the front leg first then slingshots into the double to the face. This is a low high double but both kicks make contact.

[yt]-PMDQoZQPI4[/yt]

When doing the double you should kick the first kick at a 45 degree angle and the second kick at a 90 degree turnover. The first kick should be with about 60% power and the second kick at about 80% power. Practice, practice, practice. It wont happen overnight but over time you will get good at this kick. Get a standing bag and practice doing 100 running kicks non stop and your double will become a piece of cake.

As for making your weak side stronger you simply need to use it more. When you train and you do a set of 10 reps on your good side you need to do a set of 15 reps on your weak side. Always do more on your weak side and you will soon be able to use both sides well. One side will always be your favorite though.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't believe in fainting the first kick.

Poor choice of words - My bad :)
When i said feint, i meant you dont do it with as much power. It sets up the second kick. For some reason i autopiloted to call it feinting. You explained it a whole lot better.

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would say if one doesn't have a weak arm/leg then it means both arms/legs are weak! If you want to overcome that issue, I believe you'll have to practice the weak side much more times than the strong one. The level of abillity with both sides of the body is rarely equal, too. But if you practice a lot you'll surely be able to have a good kick with the right leg. I believe I usually train my "weak side" more than twice the times I train my "strong side", to have an acceptable result.
Just don't forget discipline does wonders to our martial arts goals. :)

As for the double kick, the guys explained too well, listen to them!