Don't teach Judo if you don't know Judo

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In the Abouts Breakfalks thread, we discussed the possibility that the OP was not learning actual judo techniques from his instructor, but "judo-inspired" techniques. This video is an example of someone who obviously knows nothing about this throw, attempting to teach it

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
At the start of the video I thought it would be someone with a wrestling background adapting the Osoto Gari for an MMA context and I was prepared to give him some slack if it didn't quite match standard Judo practice. Then he got going and I'm thinking "What the hell?! Have you ever grappled at all?"

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the start of the video I thought it would be someone with a wrestling background adapting the Osoto Gari for an MMA context and I was prepared to give him some slack if it didn't quite match standard Judo practice. Then he got going and I'm thinking "What the hell?! Have you ever grappled at all?"
Tony, my Judo days are far in the past, but we have a very similar technique. Am I missing something, or is it bat***t crazy to lean back for that technique (osoto gari)?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tony, my Judo days are far in the past, but we have a very similar technique. Am I missing something, or is it bat***t crazy to lean back for that technique (osoto gari)?
You are not missing anything. It's a clear sign that he has no idea what he's doing.

I watched a few of his other videos. Some are better than this one but none are very good. He's not a wrestler, as evidenced by his video on the double-leg takedown. I sort of get the impression that he might be self-taught from videos and messing around with his friends. Most of the techniques he shows have some of the details right, but it's glaringly obvious that he's missing a lot of important elements.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are not missing anything. It's a clear sign that he has no idea what he's doing.

I watched a few of his other videos. Some are better than this one but none are very good. He's not a wrestler, as evidenced by his video on the double-leg takedown. I sort of get the impression that he might be self-taught from videos and messing around with his friends. Most of the techniques he shows have some of the details right, but it's glaringly obvious that he's missing a lot of important elements.
Even the next throw (looks like seoi nage to me), I didn't see any aspect of using bodyweight in it. I've always taken seoi nage as a sacrifice throw (sutemi waza). Why would you go to your knees, THEN try to throw them?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
or is it bat***t crazy to lean back for that technique (osoto gari)?
I only got as far as watching him lean back.
He should lean forward instead. That "lean back" is wrong. Also the "under hook" can only be used to throw his opponent

- forward, or
- along his shoulders line.

What he is showing is to throw his opponent backward instead. That "under hook" doesn't give him enough power to "push" his opponent to fall back.

IMO, to use your forearm to press across your opponent's throat can be a good "pushing" contact point.

cane_bundle.jpg

This throw front cut (forward motion), or slant cut (45 degree motion) is a symmetry. He gets under hook on one arm and over hook on another arm. His opponent also has under hook on one arm and over hook on another arm. When he leans his body back, his opponent can lean forward and use the same throw to throw him.

Front cut - this require forward body momentum with extra forward stepping.

Slant cut - this require 45 degree leg lifting.

Last edited:

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay I don't even do judo but as soon as he said "lean back" I was like what the hell. If the opponent knows what hes doing hell just push you over.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the techniques he shows have some of the details right, but it's glaringly obvious that he's missing a lot of important elements.

Like, oh, breaking the balance before you try to take him down? Good thing he was shorter than his partner...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay I don't even do judo but as soon as he said "lean back" I was like what the hell. If the opponent knows what hes doing hell just push you over.
I'm not sure he'd even have to know what he's doing. If he just leans a bit, it might do the trick.

OP
F

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Both techniques he shows seem like awkward ways to through/take down someone.
Yoko Osoto gari is a variation because it is not an ideal position for this throw. Drop seoi nage works fine IF you know how to do it.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Arm spin throw (I used and taught in wrestling) was almost as bad as the judo throw. It was a bit better during the second time when he didn't pause, but still off. He muscled it by pulling the opponent over his shoulder; the throw comes from spinning through far more than he did. Done properly, and your at about 270 degrees before the opponent is off his feet. Done properly, it takes just about zero strength. He looks like a guy that just learned it last practice.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yoko Osoto gari is a variation because it is not an ideal position for this throw. Drop seoi nage works fine IF you know how to do it.

There are some quirky MMA tweeks on these throws. Oike with the drop seonagi we over rotate so our back isnt given up as readily.

But again I don't see that happening here.

Latest Discussions