• Thread starter Deleted member 32980
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
It's nice to see the couple stories that popped up.

I want to bring up something and I want you guys to expand on it. It's a couple things:

1. American "senseis" that teach night classes and such at "dojos" is said to do it just for money and the students really don't learn anything other than katas how to loose money. I know a few people that the senseis now are a-holes and ask too much money. Are these teachers based on greed?

2. Are most American students in dojos feel like they are bad-a because they are in a martial arts class?

Nice generalization.
1. As an "American sensei" that does teach a night class, I don't do it just for money, I don't teach "kata", and for the most part, my guys can fight.

2. I don't think my guys think they are bad-asses because they are in a martial arts class, but I have several guys I wouldn't want to cross if something serious was on the line.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"dislike" LOL. Seriously, guys who feel the need to challenge dojos also probably feel the need to use a ruler to check their junk measures up too. Adults don't feel the need to do either. But, children will be children. :D

As to "Bad Asses", if you have to call yourself one, you just ain't. :rofl:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, for anyone that can help, I'd like to know if dojo challenging is still a acceptable option towards dojos.

Only for the insecure, immature and clueless.

Many people I've met have said, "training by yourself is hurting more than helping."

I'd agree with that.

And, "you can't be good at all without any 'formal' training such as a dojo."

There's a reason why the military used drill sgts, and doesn't just set newbs up with a tv screen and copy of "Saving Pvt Ryan".

Obviously those people need to understand that you don't need others to teach yourself or develop a style of your own.
Books also can assist in understanding.

There is a difference between teaching yourself, and learning correctly. If you don't -know- what "correct" is, how can you adjust until you do?
A book, or a video for that matter, can't provide immediate feedback. Spend a while learning wrong, it's hard to 'unlearn' later.

So by never being in a dojo to train 'formally', would it prove them all by challenging a dojo with all due respect and honors offered.

In the movies and fantasy land, sure. In reality, nope. In reality, you're trespassing, and can be arrested. But, once in jail, you can "pressure test" your "mad skillz" under "real world conditions". :lol:

Thanks for offering helpful comments. Don't waste space or I'll report you on-the-spot.

Feel free to report me.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So here it is, Monday morning and since the school is open you're back.
You did say you were going to address the questions asked of you last week.
We're waiting for you to do so.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

OP
D

Deleted member 32980

Nice generalization.
1. As an "American sensei" that does teach a night class, I don't do it just for money, I don't teach "kata", and for the most part, my guys can fight.

2. I don't think my guys think they are bad-asses because they are in a martial arts class, but I have several guys I wouldn't want to cross if something serious was on the line.

1. I hope they fight for good. And it's nice to meet you!

2. That's good. Why aren't they teaching the classes then? J/k

OP
D

Deleted member 32980

Only for the insecure, immature and clueless.

I'd agree with that.

There's a reason why the military used drill sgts, and doesn't just set newbs up with a tv screen and copy of "Saving Pvt Ryan".

There is a difference between teaching yourself, and learning correctly. If you don't -know- what "correct" is, how can you adjust until you do?
A book, or a video for that matter, can't provide immediate feedback. Spend a while learning wrong, it's hard to 'unlearn' later.

In the movies and fantasy land, sure. In reality, nope. In reality, you're trespassing, and can be arrested. But, once in jail, you can "pressure test" your "mad skillz" under "real world conditions". :lol:

Feel free to report me.

Why would I bother? Your a founder, a supporter and a staff member. it would just be pointless.

Oh btw to prove your type (because you just did) power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. And you sir, have all the power you need here.

OP
D

Deleted member 32980

So here it is, Monday morning and since the school is open you're back.
You did say you were going to address the questions asked of you last week.
We're waiting for you to do so.

Wow anyways. I don't claim a title I'm not.

And don't be rude about it. Btw I think it's hilarious none of you people addressed my writings on people and kindness... Maybe because I blew you all out of the water? Affirmative.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why would I bother? Your a founder, it would just be pointless.
2 corrections.

1- I'm -THE- founder. #1 Super Guy. Gawd Emperor. "The Captain". The "Dork Knight Incarcerate!"
Not to be confused with Soke Hong Kong Fooey. or Leto II. He was kinda wormy. Or those pasty faced guys from DS9....though having my own army of Jem'Hadar could be interesting.....

2- Rules here apply to everyone equally. Been a while since I was suspended....but it's happened.

The only thing here pointless is coming onto a forum populated by professional martial arts instructors with decades of experience and asking if doing 'tough guy' antics is a good idea. The only thing more pointless would be going onto a Mac forum and asking if switching to Windows was good.

Seriously, you asked a question. The answer was "no". What's pointless is your apparently ignoring all answers that don't validate your desired response. Dislike this all you want. Doesn't change the validity of the statement.

*Wibble*

OP
D

Deleted member 32980

2 corrections.

1- I'm -THE- founder. #1 Super Guy. Gawd Emperor. "The Captain". The "Dork Knight Incarcerate!"
Not to be confused with Soke Hong Kong Fooey. or Leto II. He was kinda wormy. Or those pasty faced guys from DS9....though having my own army of Jem'Hadar could be interesting.....

2- Rules here apply to everyone equally. Been a while since I was suspended....but it's happened.

The only thing here pointless is coming onto a forum populated by professional martial arts instructors with decades of experience and asking if doing 'tough guy' antics is a good idea. The only thing more pointless would be going onto a Mac forum and asking if switching to Windows was good.

Seriously, you asked a question. The answer was "no". What's pointless is your apparently ignoring all answers that don't validate your desired response. Dislike this all you want. Doesn't change the validity of the statement.

*Wibble*

"Adults bodies, with childish minds may never mature"

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

And don't be rude about it. Btw I think it's hilarious none of you people addressed my writings on people and kindness... Maybe because I blew you all out of the water? Affirmative.
I really wanted to leave it alone as the rambling of a troll and I guess I am biting here but to be honest your writing as to the lovely people and kindness etc left me cold.

Try putting yourself in the shoes of others for a change and exercising a little bit of empathy. It is commendable you view such wonderful people as such but what makes you think they want or are interested in or even need you "protecting" them?

Also, in not caring about yelling it out to everyone how great these people are, you might just be embarrassing and mortifying the hell out of these nice people in public or at worst making them feel somewhat uncomfortable...you seem to have good intentions in that respect but good intentions often leads to the suffering of others and then such intentions don't stack up to hill o' beans.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
2. That's good. Why aren't they teaching the classes then? J/k

They could teach in their systems, I have students who have more experience at martial arts than me, in some cases like 10 and 15 years more than me, but they are studying under me because they like what I have to offer. And yes, I certainly learn things from them as well.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nate. You do realise that even sparring you can get hurt confronting a quality fighter?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
1. American "senseis" that teach night classes and such at "dojos" is said to do it just for money and the students really don't learn anything other than katas how to loose money. I know a few people that the senseis now are a-holes and ask too much money. Are these teachers based on greed?

a) Why the scare quotes around "senseis" and "dojos"?
b) Who is it saying that the instructors are just teaching for money and the students aren't learning anything useful?
c) Since most students have work or school during the day, most martial arts classes are "night classes." Did you have some reason for specifying night classes?
d) What criteria are you using for calling instructors "a-holes" who "ask too much money"?
e) Since we have no idea what teachers you are talking about, it would be pretty silly for any of us to offer an opinion on whether they were "based on greed."

2. Are most American students in dojos feel like they are bad-a because they are in a martial arts class?

Not in my experience. Of course, there are always exceptions.

I am American and my first lang is English. I studied old English and such which bonded with my style in saying anything.

This is old English:
HWÆT, WE GAR-DEna in geardagum,
þeodcyninga þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas, syððanærest wearð
feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum weorðmyndum þah,
oð þæt him æghwylc ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan; þæt wæs god cyning!

I'm pretty certain that's not what you've studied. Even if you did, it wouldn't be helpful for communicating with anyone in this century.

Oh btw to prove your type (because you just did) power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

So because Bob disagrees with you, you think he's corrupt? You might want to look into the definitions of words before you use them. BTW - someone who was corrupted with power would absolutely have banned you from the forum once you started insulting him for no good reason. In fact, a lot of non-corrupt folks would do the same. Bob's pretty patient.

I believe that's referring to your profile which claims you are a Kyudo sensei. Are you saying that you have those qualifications?

I did, although I have no idea what you mean by "blew you all out of the water."

OP
D

Deleted member 32980

Nate. You do realise that even sparring you can get hurt confronting a quality fighter?

Yes. I know what can happen. I'm not a fool.

@nat

Oi, you aving a dig at DS9 man? Seriously, grow up and stop being boring. Get a fish tank or something, or stop smoking :D

I used to be a fun guy...

They could teach in their systems, I have students who have more experience at martial arts than me, in some cases like 10 and 15 years more than me, but they are studying under me because they like what I have to offer. And yes, I certainly learn things from them as well.

What do you amen by "offer them"?

OP
D

Deleted member 32980

a) Why the scare quotes around "senseis" and "dojos"?
b) Who is it saying that the instructors are just teaching for money and the students aren't learning anything useful?
c) Since most students have work or school during the day, most martial arts classes are "night classes." Did you have some reason for specifying night classes?
d) What criteria are you using for calling instructors "a-holes" who "ask too much money"?
e) Since we have no idea what teachers you are talking about, it would be pretty silly for any of us to offer an opinion on whether they were "based on greed."

Not in my experience. Of course, there are always exceptions.

This is old English:
HWÆT, WE GAR-DEna in geardagum,
þeodcyninga þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas, syððanærest wearð
feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum weorðmyndum þah,
oð þæt him æghwylc ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan; þæt wæs god cyning!

I'm pretty certain that's not what you've studied. Even if you did, it wouldn't be helpful for communicating with anyone in this century.

So because Bob disagrees with you, you think he's corrupt? You might want to look into the definitions of words before you use them. BTW - someone who was corrupted with power would absolutely have banned you from the forum once you started insulting him for no good reason. In fact, a lot of non-corrupt folks would do the same. Bob's pretty patient.

I believe that's referring to your profile which claims you are a Kyudo sensei. Are you saying that you have those qualifications?

I did, although I have no idea what you mean by "blew you all out of the water."
I have distant relatives when you live.

Status
Not open for further replies.