Dojang Holidays

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which holidays would it be acceptable for your dojang to be closed on, assuming you reside in the USA and you attend a commercial school?Christmas Eve and Christmas Day?the entire week of Christmas?Thanksgiving weekend?Spring Break?What about the various single day holidays like MLK Day, Washington's Birthday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, and Veterans' Day?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well here is my list:

Thanksgiving from Wednesday though Sunday
Christmas December 24 -January 2
The week of National and that is for 10 days

We are open all other times.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wednesday before Thanksgiving to Sunday after Thanksgiving

December 23 - January 2nd

Memorial Day and Labor Day

Most other days we are open.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Over time the attendance will tell you and you can adjust from wherever you start. We've found that numbers get so low between Christmas and New Year's (many travel then) that it's not worth opening. Other than those you mention, we close the week of JO's/Nationals because the instructors are all coaches. We also close (local TV, just like schools) if the roads are bad later in the day and schools are closed or closing. I think it can really vary depending on your students/families.

Carl

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Over time the attendance will tell you and you can adjust from wherever you start. We've found that numbers get so low between Christmas and New Year's (many travel then) that it's not worth opening. Other than those you mention, we close the week of JO's/Nationals because the instructors are all coaches. We also close (local TV, just like schools) if the roads are bad later in the day and schools are closed or closing. I think it can really vary depending on your students/families.

Carl

Yesterday was the first day of Spring Break here. It was a ghost town even in the adult class which surprised me. I expected a dip, but I literally gave a semi-private lesson to 3 people in a class that is normally 20+.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
You might think about halloween too. Here, kids still do the trick or treat thing so no kids show up. Adults don't come either because of their kids or because there are so many things going on on halloween night. Every area is different though. I think that you should keep the school open as much as possible though.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You might think about halloween too. Here, kids still do the trick or treat thing so no kids show up. Adults don't come either because of their kids or because there are so many things going on on halloween night. Every area is different though. I think that you should keep the school open as much as possible though.
That's true. Last year we had, maybe, 5 kids amongst all the classes. Most likely we will close for Halloween this year.

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Strange how such similar cultures can differ, it's barely even recognised as anything special in the UK now, I know I've trained on Halloween every year I've been training, and the numbers in the class don't seem to drop.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I always closed (for regular classes) on New Years day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve/Christmas.
But all the advanced belts, some of my friends, and a bunch of the cops, had a key to the Dojo. The rule was - you go in, you can let anyone (without a key) in that you want, but they leave before you do, and you're responsible for them.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
You might think about halloween too..

Since my kids class starts at 6:15pm most are done trick or treating by then. I know one school that gets lots of kids on Halloween because they lewt the kids wear costumes, do some fun drills and...... give out candy. Feed them and they will come.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
Whenever the local schools are closed for Holidays or Snow Day, we are closed. A big Holiday for us is Christmas & New Year, schools close before Christmas and stay closed until after New Years.

We also close for a total 7 weeks during the summer. Broken down like this: Closed 2 weeks during each month of June, July and August, and the first week in September.

During the 2 weeks we are open during the summer months, we don't practice Taekwondo based curriculum. Like this:

1st week of June

Monday - Boxing
Tuesday - Wrestling
Wednesday - Nunchuku
Thursday - Board Breaking

2nd week of June

Monday - Judo throws
Tuesday - Shaken & Shuriken throwing
Wednesday - Dragon Rope
Thursday - Last day of class for the month is game day - various martial arts based games for time, reaction, strategy, etc.

We repeat it in July and August.

Latest Discussions