Dog euthanized to be buried with owner

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oy.

If I died tomorrow, guess who'd be taking care of my black and white cat? My mom and dad. and the cat stays right where she is.

I cant imagine wanting to kill my beautiful healthy Princess (she's seven) in my will. Horrible.

terrible for that man to want do that to his dog.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agreed, messed up but I doubt there's a law against it.

Millions of animals are slaughtered everyday in the US guys, most in the prime of their lives. Does one more make any difference?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score

Millions of animals are slaughtered everyday in the US guys, most in the prime of their lives. Does one more make any difference?

Grey area I think.
Because people can be prosecuted for cruelty to animals, even for people that are theirs. Otoh people have dogs put down daily for some reason or other so there is that as well.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, can't say that i agree, but in some cultures, when the lord died, everybody was slaughtered and placed in one mass tomb, men women even kids,animals and arms just so they could all hit heaven together. ?

j

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The veterinarian involved reportedly euthanized the dog after first pleading with the family to let it live. He followed through with putting the dog to sleep because he said he feared the dog would be killed anyway in a less humane way.

In other words the dog owner knew the dog wouldn't have a bright future.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good thing he didn't have a loving wife. Different strokes for different folks I guess, I just can't see it myself.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good thing he didn't have a loving wife. Different strokes for different folks I guess, I just can't see it myself.

Or you could do it the other way around... when your dog dies, you get euthanized and buried with him!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of those rare occasions where someones actions offend me enough to put fingers to keyboard.

If he wasn't dead already ...

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like a selfish imbecile.. Still, being America and all, the dogs prob lucky the owner didnt blow its brains out himself :)

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like a selfish imbecile.. Still, being America and all, the dogs prob lucky the owner didnt blow its brains out himself :)

The owner was busy being dead at the time, I think.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Depends on the state laws, but legally speaking, pets are property, so as long as the euthenasia process was humane, perfectly legal request.

Sane? Acceptable? Rational? Not by a long shot. But legal.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sad face. Sad no one stepped in. If the guy was in his right mind, he would (probably) not have done this.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sane? Acceptable? Rational? Not by a long shot.

In his opinion it was all three or he wouldn't have done it.

Sacrificing living creatures is still a common practice around the world, (we won't talk of the tens of millions we kill everyday for food), again while we consider dogs to be loving pets, many people do not. An animal, is an animal, is an animal.

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe you dont know the full story.
A similar thing happened with my grandfather. He knew he was dying and begged the family to put his dog to sleep and bury it with him when he went. The family didnt do it because the dog was only 7 and in good health.
After my grandfather died, despite the best efforts of the family, the dog lasted two months. It pined for my grandfather so badly that the vet recommended he be put to sleep. He wouldnt eat and barely drank and got to the point that he was so poor condition that they did put it to sleep.
The thing is that my grandad knew the dog and knew what it's reaction would be.So maybe in some circumstances this is not a heartless request but a practical loving one.

Latest Discussions