The global middle class is more unstable and less liberal than we thought.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Being middle class only means you have a certain amount of disposable income, it doesn’t mean you’re educated, it doesn’t mean 2000 years of culture becomes obsolete, and it doesn’t mean that the national indoctrination you endured growing up begins to wane.

The middle class in these countries see the problems we face in the west, and would prefer to sacrifice more freedom for stability. In many regards I can’t blame them.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
For that matter, our own "liberals" are not particularly stable or liberal.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who claimed the global middle-class was particularly liberal?

I think it is coming as a surprise to certain MSM types, who had presumed that a) the rest of the world is more liberal than the USA and therefore b) a new rising middle class would be more liberal than their US counterparts as well. It seems to have caught them by surprise that when a middle-class emerges, the first order of business is protecting what they have achieved, and that is usually accomplished by conservative outlooks on things like taxes and governance. Seldom do newly-upwardly-mobile cultures look to give away what they have worked hard to achieve to those who either cannot or will not do what they have done. It may not be a surprise to you, but it's shocking to many liberals, who think that when people finally achieve success, the first thing they want to do is order the government to confiscate their new-found wealth and give it to the less fortunate (or the sick / lazy, take yer pick).

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
middle class = bourgeoisie.

I didnt think of em as particularly liberal. Both my parents are middle class income earners.

They arent really conservative, neither are they completely liberal. They are what is called up here as a 'red tory'

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it is coming as a surprise to certain MSM types, who had presumed that a) the rest of the world is more liberal than the USA and therefore b) a new rising middle class would be more liberal than their US counterparts as well. It seems to have caught them by surprise that when a middle-class emerges, the first order of business is protecting what they have achieved, and that is usually accomplished by conservative outlooks on things like taxes and governance. Seldom do newly-upwardly-mobile cultures look to give away what they have worked hard to achieve to those who either cannot or will not do what they have done. It may not be a surprise to you, but it's shocking to many liberals, who think that when people finally achieve success, the first thing they want to do is order the government to confiscate their new-found wealth and give it to the less fortunate (or the sick / lazy, take yer pick).

Actually the first thing the middle class does is demand more political power, from which they can control taxation, government controls and then make even more money for themselves.
All revolutions start and end with the middle class, the rich don't want revolution as its against them and the poor could care less about revolution, as they are too busy just surviving. Democracy only works with the middle class.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually the first thing the middle class does is demand more political power, from which they can control taxation, government controls and then make even more money for themselves.
All revolutions start and end with the middle class, the rich don't want revolution as its against them and the poor could care less about revolution, as they are too busy just surviving. Democracy only works with the middle class.

you never studied any russian history did you =]

The march/feb revolution 1917 began with the workers, women mostly, not bourgeoisie.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The increasing patriotism of affluent young Chinese has created an industry for popular books like "The China Dream." which urges China to launch a military buildup in preparation for a coming conflict with the U.S.

Didn't know patriotism was the definition of middle class. I kind of think there is alot more to being in the middle class than that. Cause lots of poor people are patriotic to (and rich ones to!)

Still China has some huge problems. Over the years they have used the 'one child' program to kill off female babies (because male heirs are favored) has brought about several million males that cannot find a marriageable woman.

That several million men that feel they were disenfranchised. And that's a big problem and that can start wars. That may be more of the grumbling you hear than any ‘middle class’ thing.

Deaf

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
you never studied any russian history did you =]

The march/feb revolution 1917 began with the workers, women mostly, not bourgeoisie.

Tonnes of it.

My undergrad is in political science & History.

Look at it again, the revolution took place in the cities, was organised by the middleclass, using the working class as tools. The point being of course is the serfs did not organise it or execute it.
:)

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tonnes of it.

My undergrad is in political science & History.

Look at it again, the revolution took place in the cities, was organised by the middleclass, using the working class as tools. The point being of course is the serfs did not organise it or execute it.
:)

the middle class weren't crazy about their autocracy either. But they werent 'using' the workers, the workers had their own grievances and they started it by the rioting in the streets.

and - what serfs? They were freed in 1861. Mind you not completely free but they werent bound to the land like they used to be.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the middle class weren't crazy about their autocracy either. But they werent 'using' the workers, the workers had their own grievances and they started it by the rioting in the streets.

and - what serfs? They were freed in 1861. Mind you not completely free but they werent bound to the land like they used to be.

Ahh, let me know when you're in Toronto, I'll buy you a beer and we can debate the points and split many more hairs. :)

Latest Discussions