The Crystal Mangum Story

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, the same one who falsely accused the Duke Lacross team of raping her... Now she's coming out with a book:

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=6343080

In a press release, Crystal Mangum's manager has announced plans to release a tell-all memoir entitled "The Last Dance for Grace: The Crystal Mangum Story."

Were it not for the Duke Lacrosse Case, she likely would be described as a bright, young woman from Durham, North Carolina, who has had a difficult life."

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Were it not for the Duke Lacrosse Case, she likely would be described as a bright, young woman from Durham, North Carolina, who has had a difficult life."
But, since the Duke Lacrosse Case did go forward she will be forever known as a lying whore, who tried to railroad three innocent men, and she will be known for that correctly.
You may have guessed I have no sympathy for Crystal Mangum, you'd be right. We all make choices everyday and she chose to tell numerous lies that will stick with those three young men for the rest of their lives, despite their exoneration and her and DA Nifong's disgraceful behavior. Oh, I'm sure the book tells us about the horrific circumstances that led to her bad choices. I, for one, don't care. I don't have a lot of money, every month is a struggle to make ends meet, but, I have not resorted to a life of crime.

OP
Grenadier

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But, since the Duke Lacrosse Case did go forward she will be forever known as a lying whore, who tried to railroad three innocent men, and she will be known for that correctly.

No arguments here. Did something bad happen to her that night? Entirely possible, but if it did, then I would guess that those Duke boys were at most, guilty of stiffing her for a tip.

You may have guessed I have no sympathy for Crystal Mangum, you'd be right. We all make choices everyday and she chose to tell numerous lies that will stick with those three young men for the rest of their lives, despite their exoneration and her and DA Nifong's disgraceful behavior.

It's a lot like the Tawana Brawley incident, where Al Sharpton essentially kept dumping gasoline onto a fire that should have burnt itself out a long time ago.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
You may have guessed I have no sympathy for Crystal Mangum, you'd be right. We all make choices everyday and she chose to tell numerous lies that will stick with those three young men for the rest of their lives, despite their exoneration and her and DA Nifong's disgraceful behavior. Oh, I'm sure the book tells us about the horrific circumstances that led to her bad choices. I, for one, don't care. I don't have a lot of money, every month is a struggle to make ends meet, but, I have not resorted to a life of crime.

Quit beatin' around the bush and tell us how you really feel. =-P lol

The travesty is that she'll probably make some real chedda' off of it... especially after Lifetime turns it into a movie. ...what a world.

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
The travesty is that she'll probably make some real chedda' off of it... especially after Lifetime turns it into a movie. ...what a world.

No chedda' out of my pocket....as far as movies go I would watch 'Snakes on a Plane' again before watching something about this incident.

BTW...in my opinion 'Snakes on a Plane' has to be one of the worst movies in recent history.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting question, TF.

Obviously I have no knowledge of this case at all so I can't give any sort of insight but that question really does need an answer I reckon. Does anyone know? Or has this all been settled and hidden?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What a wonderful country, lie, cheat and destoy a team and then turn around write a book and make some cash. God Bless America.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why hasnt she been charged for submitting a false report?

Why isnt she in jail?

Yeah, I don't fully understand that...probably the situation was too murky at that point for the prosecutors to make a case in any direction, I suppose.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does North Carolina not have a "Son of Sam" Law preventing people from getting rich off the stories of their crimes? The Duke Lacross players who were accused should take a cue from Fred Goldman and sue the hell out of her.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Does North Carolina not have a "Son of Sam" Law preventing people from getting rich off the stories of their crimes? The Duke Lacross players who were accused should take a cue from Fred Goldman and sue the hell out of her.

I think they already are-maybe her book is just a smart, preemptive way of making sure her wages aren't garnished for life.....

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think they already are-maybe her book is just a smart, preemptive way of making sure her wages aren't garnished for life.....
If they are they clearly need to move to attach any earnings from this or any other book on that period.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
If they are they clearly need to move to attach any earnings from this or any other book on that period.

Oh, yeah, that'll be a lot. :rolleyes:

certainly not enough to begin to make up for their ordeal.....not to mention their lawyer's fees.....'course, I think they're also suing the county and the D.A.-that'll do. :lol:

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why hasnt she been charged for submitting a false report?

Why isnt she in jail?

People basically don't get charged for false reports. Especially women making accusations of sex crimes. Nothing unusual then in this case, I'm afraid. At least Nifong had to pay for his actions with his career.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score

She has been convicted of no crime. Rather hard to garnish someone's earnings for a crime that doesn't exist in the eyes of the state.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
She has been convicted of no crime. Rather hard to garnish someone's earnings for a crime that doesn't exist in the eyes of the state.
I'm fairly certain that the suit that will go forward will be a civil suit. The potentiality of having her wages tapped for life from a defamation suit are very high.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
The potentiality of having her wages tapped for life from a defamation suit are very high.

I doubt it. Libel and defamation cases are very hard to get judgments on. The plaintiffs, by North Carolina law, would have to prove at least negligence on the part of Mangum, and she can easily argue confusion or trauma. I am aware of no evidence that Mangum knew her statements were false.

Nifong on the other hand...

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you saying that you dont think she knew she was lying?

"What I think" and "evidence that will hold up in court" are two very different things. That is what we are talking about here.

As for me, I have reached no firm conclusion, since I really haven't looked into the evidence and circumstances of the case. I don't know what Mangum told the police and the prosecutors and what the circumstances were. Nevertheless, she probably knew she was lying. Why she did, I don't know.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting question, TF.

Obviously I have no knowledge of this case at all so I can't give any sort of insight but that question really does need an answer I reckon. Does anyone know? Or has this all been settled and hidden?

It is likely the authorities at state and local levels just want the situation to die and fade from memory. Prosecuting her would reflect yet more bad light back on them. They pressed the case against the men for quite some time, even knowing of - and concealing - evidence which was exculpatory. So the more zeal they would go after Crystal with, the more absurd their prior reliance on her would appear. They only want this embarrassing story to go away. Incidentally, she could likely raise an insanity type defense of some merit.

I doubt she'll make much money off any endeavor, not a very sympathetic figure. Even should her story be aired and she make a zillion, one can bet the men's lawyers will be ready to pounce. They'd be delighted if a cable channel picked the movie rights up - one wrong move and they'd have a very deep pocket to sue.

Irrespective of any legal proceedings, Ms Mangum has all the signs of one who will die badly and early.

Latest Discussions