Does your school do what Bruce Lee did?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed that this thread has been quiet for a while. It started off with some good questions, but took a slight turn. Getting back to the original question, I think that it would be interesting to discuss how your school/dojo teaches. Is bringing in or looking at other material frowned upon, or is it welcomed?

At my old Kenpo school, my instructor was also ranked in Arnis, so he would at times, incorporate some Arnis into the Kenpo class. We still kept the Kenpo material, but by adding in something extra, it gave the students a different way of looking at things.

Mike

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where I am now, cross-training - or even just a "Hey! This is like (something from another art) is encouraged. Making those mental connections is always fun.

Where I trained before, we were also allowed to be very open in asking questions, and talking about different arts. I didn't even realize I was doing something that would be considered rude by chit-chatting with another student during a break (but in the dojang) and asking him about his practice in another art.

I've been pretty lucky. Martial arts has remained associated with learning and questioning for me.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Does your school do what Bruce Lee did? Let's examine this. What was it that Bruce Lee done?

Did he find a way to improve himself individualy?
Did he strive to make a martial art in accordance to the era/times?
Did he have a personal goal for personal fame?
Did he mix martial arts to make himself more versitile?
Did he train excessively and compulsively to the point if ruining his health?

I think one has to examine what is meant within the question.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Nice...but hardly a difference how we have been training for 25 years. :)

"WE" as in you and your students or "WE" as in everyone as a whole??? If its the 2nd one, I would say that I disagree with you, as I've seen many schools that are very rigid and static in their movement.

Except on many occasions, we do not wear workout but street clothes.

This I feel is very important because it will certianly give you a different feel to your movement.

Mike

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
MJS said:
"WE" as in you and your students or "WE" as in everyone as a whole??? If its the 2nd one, I would say that I disagree with you, as I've seen many schools that are very rigid and static in their movement.

This I feel is very important because it will certianly give you a different feel to your movement.

Mike
We meaning feelow alumni and students of the system "I" study.
Sessions have been like this and there isn't a ranking structure in this system.
Although I went to study other styles/systems and achieved ranks.

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Nice...but hardly a difference how we have been training for 25 years. :)
Except on many occasions, we do not wear workout but street clothes.
We haven't trained with a gi on in awhile and we started last night wearing gi's on Tuesdays. It was wierd but nice. I really enjoy just wearing shorts and a t-shirt though.

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh yeah. We can wear wrestling shoes if we want and I do about 50% of the time. Especially for the boxing class.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Heck, we do not have padding or safety equipment when we spar....(adults)....many of time a injury was caused.......al east they are still "controlled battle woubds"

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
SHOOOO!!! We do for boxing and when start doing more mma stuff we'll have to get those biker looking padded gloves. So far I'm only had a busted lip, but I've also been doing this kind of traing for only 4 months so I have a lot to look forward too. hehehehe :)

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
cashwo said:
SHOOOO!!! We do for boxing and when start doing more mma stuff we'll have to get those biker looking padded gloves. So far I'm only had a busted lip, but I've also been doing this kind of traing for only 4 months so I have a lot to look forward too. hehehehe :)
Shooooo?............

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
As in shoooooooooo boy..no pads!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grappling I can dig but boxing or anything striking...SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As in shoooooooooo boy..?.....

Sorry, I am not familiar with this expression...

sounds like a febal attempt at ebonics or ghetto.....

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Traditional is OK, Doing things like they did in the old days. Today we are different in thinking and ways of fighting. The world is smaller and information is larger. (the many styles and arts of fighting can be learn and taught is easier today) Old karate did need to defend against the many new arts/street fighting of today.

Today most of us want to learn to fight back if need too! Most of the time it will be against a bigger person or against two or more with or without weapons. We need to be aware of the laws of what we can do against someone.

Is your school/art is changing with the times and needs of the students?
Are you aware of the laws in your state? Your rights? What you can and cannot do to someone? Hope your teacher/school is keeping up with the times? ...and thank-you for sharing your comments.....Aloha

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Traditional is OK, Doing things like they did in the old days. Today we are different in thinking and ways of fighting. The world is smaller and information is larger. (the many styles and arts of fighting can be learn and taught is easier today) Old karate did need to defend against the many new arts/street fighting of today.

Today most of us want to learn to fight back if need too! Most of the time it will be against a bigger person or against two or more with or without weapons. We need to be aware of the laws of what we can do against someone.

Is your school/art is changing with the times and needs of the students?
Are you aware of the laws in your state? Your rights? What you can and cannot do to someone? Hope your teacher/school is keeping up with the times? ...and thank-you for sharing your comments.....Aloha

Great post!! 2 things caught my eye. The first, was your last sentence in the first paragraph. Yes, you're correct...the arts from years ago still defended against kicks, punches, etc., and we still have those same attacks today. The second thing that caught my eye was your last paragraph...are we changing with the times. This IMO is something that is key, because yes, while we still have those punches and kicks, people are not wearing body armor and do not move as stiff and rigid.

Many times when people talk about updating, making changes, adding things, etc., people automatically assume the worst. While you may not need to run out, although it is an option and learn to grapple, box, or anything else, we can cross reference other arts. Adding in senario training/drills, learning about the laws, etc., are all ways to improve your training.

When we stop and think about it, change is not always a bad thing. If we stopped and thought about how many things have changed since 1900 we would have one heck of a list. Cars, medicine, roads, teaching....those are just a few things that have changed.

Again, great post!!!

Mike

Latest Discussions