Does your school do what Bruce Lee did?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I just read an article of Krav Maga in the April issue of Black Belt magzine. It mentions how they got started and kept only the techniques that work and threw out the ones that didn't.

Does your school think like Bruce Lee? In your training it change's with the times? Keeps' what is working and eliminate the old stuffs that don't apply any more?

Our school does make changes and it is nice to see that. Our Professor is always looking ahead and our system has grown with the new things out there. One example is we do alot of grappling and locks now compare to a few years ago.

hammer

Green Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, I just read an article of Krav Maga in the April issue of Black Belt magzine. It mentions how they got started and kept only the techniques that work and threw out the ones that didn't.

Does your school think like Bruce Lee? In your training it change's with the times? Keeps' what is working and eliminate the old stuffs that don't apply any more?

Our school does make changes and it is nice to see that. Our Professor is always looking ahead and our system has grown with the new things out there. One example is we do alot of grappling and locks now compare to a few years ago.
Bruce Lee, form my understanding chose what was useful for him, But who decides on what is useful and what is not for another, Example many will agrue and debate the kata serinaro, whether they are useful or not?

I belive that its all based on perception , and the maturity of the student and /or Instructor .As the phrase goes "what is one mans trash , is anothers mans treasure."

Many systems were purposefully designed , so perhaps learinning the complete system may provide greater value, which will then allow you to decide what is useful for you and what is not!

As far as adding addition material to the syllabus, well thats a bonus not a instead of, perhaps re -prioritizing maybe in order , but to disregard may be right for you, after you have already learnt it AND UNDERSTAND IT

Just my Thoughts
Cheers

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
To do more exactly 'what Bruce Lee did' you would probably be better off looking at any decent Jeet Kune Do school! They would be the schools most following his ideas

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Anywho, my school trains in the core ciriculum, and along the way, sensei may say something like...or if you don't want to do that(on the street) then you can do this. and so on and so on.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Think of push ups as a classy party trick?

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been to a couple parties and there is always the Guy in the military or ROTC who shows off with push ups. Having girls sitting on there backs and stuff. i think its pretty funny, cause their egos are so big after there done, feeling all pumped and stuff. They feel like they can take anyone. My buddy was one of those guys and after he was done showing off he was all like..."anyone wanna box?" i stepped in and was all like...sure why not, i'll box ya...who wants to ref? My buddy was all like.....on second thought...nevermind I'm tired........i wasn't going to hurt him though, just a slap here and there, until he calmed down a bit. Never the less, this event was halarious, just not int he traditional ha ha kind of way

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Seriously,

Traditional Tae Kwon Do is based on physical and mental principles that don't change. Everyone will have aspects of it that they prefer, and people will find things in it that work more for them. We don't do what Bruce Lee did because it is not necessary. And if you believe that Bruce Lee's teachings rendered everything else obsolete, you really don't get it.

And MJ, the WTF form Hansu symbolizes water. Somehow, I don't think the KTA Grandmasters were sitting around reading Bruce Lee when they developed it.

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Because we don't all worship Bruce Lee.
You know there is a difference between worshipping and admiring a man or woman. You really dont seem to understand that do you.
I or anybody else is not making him out to be a God here, you know?
Regards

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don't worship him, nor for that matter particularly admire him.

Gotta go it Lao's time

Latest Discussions