Does anyone disagree with belts/ranks? Why? Here's why I like belts:

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My style doesn't use belts, there are only four levels and honestly you hardly ever know who is at which level. Of course my style is a mixture of various different disciplines and many of the people who attend are a black belt at one or more other arts to begin with and many of the "students" are instructors in various other arts. So for us having a belt system wouldn't show how long you've been studying or your knowledge of skills. In our system everyone has something to offer and to teach and it is through the meeting of people from every different style out there that we can truly test our skills, improve our techniques, see what counters exist, learn what works and what doesn't.
Hey, can I ask please for clarification? Your style it seem to be no style, rather people proficient in other styles who get together to spar each other and test their own style in which they have prior proficiency.. So what then you are doing it is not a style?? Is just a meeting up of other styles?? In which case why are there levels and what must one do to achieve one of those levels?? I am grateful if you can help me to understand :) x

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Someone who will do that because of belt rank, will also do it without the belt rank. "I'm better than you" doesn't require a colored circle at your waist.
True but it's easier to shrug it off without them but with them it's kind of an official thing especially with kids who will take it more seriously

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The problem with belts is there's to many fakes out there now and since they're wearing black belts no one will challenge their legitimacy even if they look like rubbish because they're a black belt and it has to be all yes sensai no sensai but with styles without there's only way to prove if you're good or not by showing it either by sparring or showing how good you are on the pads not just standing there barking orders

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
JKD does not really have a unified system, so there is no universal ranking system.

However my school has belts just for motioning progress, dedication, AND which curriculum you are studying (beginner, intermediate, advanced).

After three years I am about to hopefully make green belt (intermediate class). They don't hand out stripes and belts easily and it gets longer to get each belt.

Our belts would not be accepted at other JKD schools, but we do have a parent accreditation system that tests and issues certification levels that would be honored at other affiliated schools.

I liked them at first, but then my instructor likes to pick on the higher belt students and make them work harder and do better .... and who wants all that pressure ? :rolleyes:

The kids progress much faster (testing is more frequent, material easier). This helps keep the kids motivated, but they are still tough and dont pass all the kids. The kids more or less start over on belts once they hit 14 if they join the adult classes.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True but it's easier to shrug it off without them but with them it's kind of an official thing especially with kids who will take it more seriously
I'm not sure it's any easier or harder either way, nor any more likely in either circumstance. It's predictably rare among kids who manage to stick around long enough to get past the first belt.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with belts is there's to many fakes out there now and since they're wearing black belts no one will challenge their legitimacy even if they look like rubbish because they're a black belt and it has to be all yes sensai no sensai but with styles without there's only way to prove if you're good or not by showing it either by sparring or showing how good you are on the pads not just standing there barking orders
I've heard that argument before, but it's a non-argument to me. The only difference between using belt ranks and not using them is the circle around the waist. A new student can be tricked into believing the instructor's skill with or without that circle. I think this is more true today than it was in the past. There was a time when most people thought "karatee" was a way to become invincible, and that invincibility came with a black belt. With MMA, folks now know about more styles, and have come to associate skill with competition. Thus, someone can claim a winning record (no harder than buying a black belt) to bolster their reputation. The internet helps a bit, except that it's been shown time and time again that most folks just don't do the research.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know, I've "been there, done that" with belt ranking. I think it is a great motivating factor for practitioners, particularly new practitioners. It was definitely a driving force in my development in becoming an effective fighter.
Having said that, I no longer wear a gi and belt. The art I focus on now has no uniforms and belts. We train in street clothes, and frankly, I like it much better.
As far as not having an "indicator" of ability level (belt), it's not really necessary, as our "indicator" is evident on the mat.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, I've "been there, done that" with belt ranking. I think it is a great motivating factor for practitioners, particularly new practitioners. It was definitely a driving force in my development in becoming an effective fighter.
Having said that, I no longer wear a gi and belt. The art I focus on now has no uniforms and belts. We train in street clothes, and frankly, I like it much better.
As far as not having an "indicator" of ability level (belt), it's not really necessary, as our "indicator" is evident on the mat.
I agree for the most part. The "indicator" is really only useful when you get someone you've never met before. I can walk into a mainline NGA dojo and join in an attack line, and I know what level of attack and which techniques each person should be able to deal with, based only on that belt. I did that just a couple of weeks ago, when I visited my old instructor's school. There were 2 people in the class whom I already knew, but I was able to easily work with each person without any discussion because of the belts. Of course, once you get to know folks, you make your decisions based upon the individual, knowing their limitations and strengths, rather than the belt.

It's a small thing, but something I've gotten used to having for such situations. It can also be helpful for the new student, who may not be able to recognize skill levels (and almost certainly can't differentiate between skill in NGA versus skill in something previous).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

The same holds true for beltless systems.
And the "test it on the mats" idea doesn't really hold up, always.
I'm a worn out old man. I can guarantee I'm not as capable on the mats as I was when I was in my 20's.
Nonetheless, I have a much broader and deeper understanding of the system than I did at that time, and I'm much better able to teach that system.
And considering how often I rely on various aspects of my training in the ER, I now for a fact that I can apply that knowledge very effectively. It's just not within the confines of most sparring rules.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Belts have always been tricky for me. I have never thought that they were a significance of skill or time. Especially at our school. Rank literally means nothing to us, in regards to skill. There are people who have been yellow belts for 2 months and tested and some who have been for 8 months and test. The time differences vary greatly. So at our school a belt just tells me what form you're on and what part of the curriculum you're on.

As far as legitimacy goes: I'm a first dan, and I have no problem with anyone questioning my legitimacy. Not in the sense of whether my certificate came from Korea or not, but in the sense of my ability to perform techniques, defend myself, etc.Too many people get comfortable with their black belts, one must test their abilities against other styles opponents etc. outside their school. It really isn't impressive if you are only good against people at your school.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Belts have always been tricky for me. I have never thought that they were a significance of skill or time. Especially at our school. Rank literally means nothing to us, in regards to skill. There are people who have been yellow belts for 2 months and tested and some who have been for 8 months and test. The time differences vary greatly. So at our school a belt just tells me what form you're on and what part of the curriculum you're on.

As far as legitimacy goes: I'm a first dan, and I have no problem with anyone questioning my legitimacy. Not in the sense of whether my certificate came from Korea or not, but in the sense of my ability to perform techniques, defend myself, etc.Too many people get comfortable with their black belts, one must test their abilities against other styles opponents etc. outside their school. It really isn't impressive if you are only good against people at your school.

True. I get my 1st Dan very soon and I think that I deserve it. I practice Taekwondo day in and day out with my brother who's my trading partner and is also getting his 1st Dan with me. So to me, belts mean something. Not just skill level, but dedication

-Julian

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
="FlamingJulian, post: 1785977, member: 35457"]True. I get my 1st Dan very soon and I think that I deserve it. I practice Taekwondo day in and day out with my brother who's my trading partner and is also getting his 1st Dan with me. So to me, belts mean something. Not just skill level, but dedication

-Julian

Dedication does have something to do with it. At least that was a big reason why I was able to test for mine after only twenty months. At instructor meetings my instructor has flat out said that he is testing someone because he likes their attitude. So sometimes people get ranked up because my instructor likes them as a person. So people are eligible to test at my school for a variety of reasons, not only skill.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Ahaha that's crazy. My school sticks to formal curriculums

-Julian

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ahaha that's crazy. My school sticks to formal curriculums

-Julian

We are quite informal about things. This has both positive and negative aspects. the only way to tell if someone is decent at our school is by watching them perform. Ignore the cloth.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We are quite informal about things. This has both positive and negative aspects. the only way to tell if someone is decent at our school is by watching them perform. Ignore the cloth.

I've been to three schools an in 2 of the 3 schools the higher ranks were/are always better. Besides my second school... I was a blue belt when I joined my second school and I was literally beating black belts on sparring matches and ranked up to Chodan and then left to go to a much much better school. I just joined my academy in May and my master already said I'm ready for black belt.

-Julian

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been to three schools an in 2 of the 3 schools the higher ranks were/are always better. Besides my second school... I was a blue belt when I joined my second school and I was literally beating black belts on sparring matches and ranked up to Chodan and then left to go to a much much better school. I just joined my academy in May and my master already said I'm ready for black belt.

-Julian

You must have some potential. Don't let the belt consume you buddy. October will be here in no time. 1st Dan is only the beginning not the end. Keep being awesome!

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You must have some potential. Don't let the belt consume you buddy. October will be here in no time. 1st Dan is only the beginning not the end. Keep being awesome!

Thanks so much. Means a lot to me.
Btw what style do u train?

-Julian

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Independent Tae Kwon Do

Awesome. Tkd is my favorite. Just hate when people talk bad about it like Martial arts tutor (YouTube guy) talks trash about Tkd and claims to be a 4th Dan. Lol

-Julian

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Awesome. Tkd is my favorite. Just hate when people talk bad about it like Martial arts tutor (YouTube guy) talks trash about Tkd and claims to be a 4th Dan. Lol

-Julian

Martial Arts Tudor is a funny guy. He is creating his own TKD organization known as the FTF (Functional TaeKwonDo Federation) don't let him fool you, he loves TKD. By the way I have a whole bunch of videos of me sparring doing forms etc. on here. You ca check it out. Maybe you'll see something you like, or maybe you'll see what NOT to do , during sparring etc.

Latest Discussions