Does anyone disagree with belts/ranks? Why? Here's why I like belts:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I agree that champion is an impressive term. And personally I'm not looking for a tittle. But I'm so dedicated to martial arts and I practice so much that I feel like it's only fair that I get my black belt this coming October.

-Julian
This is precisely one of the reasons belts can be useful. There are many among us who want to get better, but have no inclination to "win", especially if winning entails causing harm to someone else (as with full-contact competitions, etc.). For those folks, belts give us something else to work for.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my goodness lol! That's a long time

-Julian
You'd think so, but it never felt that way to me. I dawdled at every rank, became the most skilled person at that rank, sometimes more skilled than those who outranked me, and progressed at my own pace. I sometimes only got one new technique in 90 days, so spent a lot of time working on what I already had. At most ranks, after I collected all the curriculum for that rank, I'd spend another 6 months just getting better. Eventually, I'd decide to test and move to the next part of the curriculum. It was a long path, but one I wouldn't change.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is precisely one of the reasons belts can be useful. There are many among us who want to get better, but have no inclination to "win", especially if winning entails causing harm to someone else (as with full-contact competitions, etc.). For those folks, belts give us something else to work for.

Yep. And I think that if nothing else, belts tell you that you are improving. Maybe you don't improve from White to yellow but when you look at the big picture like White to red then it's a huge improvement. I've never spared a red belt who wasn't significantly better than a white belt. Maybe they exist somewhere? Idk.

-Julian

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Belts don't reflect skill either. There's plenty of black belts who are awful and it doesn't represent time either some people choose to stay at a certain belt for a very long time

True

-Julian

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. And I think that if nothing else, belts tell you that you are improving. Maybe you don't improve from White to yellow but when you look at the big picture like White to red then it's a huge improvement. I've never spared a red belt who wasn't significantly better than a white belt. Maybe they exist somewhere? Idk.

-Julian
There should be improvement at every stage. Arguably, one of the biggest improvements in many styles is to the first belt (yellow in NGA). Many students go from being stiff and unbalanced to loosening up and starting to move with better balance and some gracefulness. In Shojin-ryu, they also gather a small collection of fairly easy defensive techniques, so many go from having no idea what to do if someone attacks to having a small arsenal of quick defenses that improve their odds.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You'd think so, but it never felt that way to me. I dawdled at every rank, became the most skilled person at that rank, sometimes more skilled than those who outranked me, and progressed at my own pace. I sometimes only got one new technique in 90 days, so spent a lot of time working on what I already had. At most ranks, after I collected all the curriculum for that rank, I'd spend another 6 months just getting better. Eventually, I'd decide to test and move to the next part of the curriculum. It was a long path, but one I wouldn't change.

Dang that seems intense. Haha assuming ur really tough. I'm not one of those guys who just learns everything required for testing. I challenge myself and find my flaws and try to fix them.

-Julian

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Belts don't reflect skill either. There's plenty of black belts who are awful and it doesn't represent time either some people choose to stay at a certain belt for a very long time
True enough on both counts. The former is normally the result of a lack of enforced standards in a school, perhaps grading on seniority alone. The latter often throws off rank comparisons within a school - I knew a guy who was a brown belt for something like 10 years. He was easily as skilled as I was when I first got my BB - better in some important ways - and his belt did not reflect that, except for the fact that it had faded nearly to tan.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There should be improvement at every stage. Arguably, one of the biggest improvements in many styles is to the first belt (yellow in NGA). Many students go from being stiff and unbalanced to loosening up and starting to move with better balance and some gracefulness. In Shojin-ryu, they also gather a small collection of fairly easy defensive techniques, so many go from having no idea what to do if someone attacks to having a small arsenal of quick defenses that improve their odds.

Yeah It's a big improvement for some. I remember when I was a white belt and couldn't do a full split and nothing they had me do made any sense. I thought that martial arts was just blocking and striking and I completely didn't care about fundamentals. It was when I got my Senior blue belt that I started understanding it at a better level. I was only 10 when I started so obviously I was pretty dumb to begin with lol.

-Julian

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My style doesn't use belts, there are only four levels and honestly you hardly ever know who is at which level. Of course my style is a mixture of various different disciplines and many of the people who attend are a black belt at one or more other arts to begin with and many of the "students" are instructors in various other arts. So for us having a belt system wouldn't show how long you've been studying or your knowledge of skills. In our system everyone has something to offer and to teach and it is through the meeting of people from every different style out there that we can truly test our skills, improve our techniques, see what counters exist, learn what works and what doesn't.

Well that's cool. It seems that ur style has levels tho which can identify rank.... I think

-Julian

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang that seems intense. Haha assuming ur really tough. I'm not one of those guys who just learns everything required for testing. I challenge myself and find my flaws and try to fix them.

-Julian
I've never really considered myself tough, but I suppose I am, given the number of falls I've taken over the years. That's one of the areas I spent a lot of time getting good at: taking falls. I'm mostly just really curious, and enjoyed exploring and learning and getting better. There was so much to learn in each new set of 10 techniques that I just didn't feel the need to move on to the next ones. To give you an idea, the bare minimum time to shodan in mainline NGA is 3 years (based on time-in-grade requirements). Most folks take about 7 years (a very few around 5 years, only one I know of that was closer to 3 years and after the fact he felt that was too fast), and those who dawdle typically take about 10 years. I'm an over-achieving dawdler.:D

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've never really considered myself tough, but I suppose I am, given the number of falls I've taken over the years. That's one of the areas I spent a lot of time getting good at: taking falls. I'm mostly just really curious, and enjoyed exploring and learning and getting better. There was so much to learn in each new set of 10 techniques that I just didn't feel the need to move on to the next ones. To give you an idea, the bare minimum time to shodan in mainline NGA is 3 years (based on time-in-grade requirements). Most folks take about 7 years (a very few around 5 years, only one I know of that was closer to 3 years and after the fact he felt that was too fast), and those who dawdle typically take about 10 years. I'm an over-achieving dawdler.:D

Must take a lot of commitment. My Master gives each student a curriculum and for me it's about 10 pages but nothing too difficult (not for me at least).. On average it takes 6months-1 year from Senior Red or Chodan to black. From white to black I think it's about 3 years and some people manage 2 years. For me I took about 6 years because I had to drop out for the worse 2 years of my life due to prices. But time in training it's about 4 years for me to get 1st Dan which I'm in a RUSH FOR!!!!

-Julian

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah It's a big improvement for some. I remember when I was a white belt and couldn't do a full split and nothing they had me do made any sense. I thought that martial arts was just blocking and striking and I completely didn't care about fundamentals. It was when I got my Senior blue belt that I started understanding it at a better level. I was only 10 when I started so obviously I was pretty dumb to begin with lol.

-Julian
The juvenile brain is a very different system than the adult brain. At your age, you're right between the two (a major neurological pruning is underway, and you have yet to complete development of your executive center). I won't teach NGA to kids for a number of reasons (I start at age 16), not the least of which is that the complex concepts aren't well-suited to them. I could prepare a separate curriculum for young kids that would graduate them to NGA as they matured, if I had time to teach those classes. A friend who holds rank in both TKD and NGA teaches a TKD-based curriculum to kids, because it adapts much more easily to their needs.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must take a lot of commitment. My Master gives each student a curriculum and for me it's about 10 pages but nothing too difficult (not for me at least).. On average it takes 6months-1 year from Senior Red or Chodan to black. From white to black I think it's about 3 years and some people manage 2 years. For me I took about 6 years because I had to drop out for the worse 2 years of my life due to prices. But time in training it's about 4 years for me to get 1st Dan which I'm in a RUSH FOR!!!!

-Julian
That time from Sr. Red to black is about the same as brown to black in mainline NGA. There, it's a technical requirement, since they must do a year of student teaching at brown. There's almost nothing new added to their curriculum at that time - it's just meant to be time for them to polish and become more efficient.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The juvenile brain is a very different system than the adult brain. At your age, you're right between the two (a major neurological pruning is underway, and you have yet to complete development of your executive center). I won't teach NGA to kids for a number of reasons (I start at age 16), not the least of which is that the complex concepts aren't well-suited to them. I could prepare a separate curriculum for young kids that would graduate them to NGA as they matured, if I had time to teach those classes. A friend who holds rank in both TKD and NGA teaches a TKD-based curriculum to kids, because it adapts much more easily to their needs.

Yeah true. I watched some old clips of me doing Tkd when I was like 10 and I was just laughing cause it was so funny that I don't know what I was doing LOL[emoji23][emoji23]. In my TKD school kids under 15 get junior black belts and 15 and up adult black belts. Now I understand why

-Julian

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That time from Sr. Red to black is about the same as brown to black in mainline NGA. There, it's a technical requirement, since they must do a year of student teaching at brown. There's almost nothing new added to their curriculum at that time - it's just meant to be time for them to polish and become more efficient.

Yeah I have to teach students too. Only 15 "leadership sessions" though.

-Julian

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People start Martial Arts training every day, people stop Martial Arts training every day. Millions and millions of people have tried Martial Arts. They stop for a lot of reasons - can't afford it any more, time restraints, family commitments, work schedules, didn't really like it, can't get there any more, injuries/health reasons and on and on. But the most common reason people stop is because Martial Arts training is just so damn hard. It's always harder than they thought it was going to be. It's not easy what we all do. I don't think it's supposed to be.

Belts are okay. No belts are okay. But Martial Arts training, itself? It's just the balls.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Most traditional Chinese martial arts do not use belt ranks either.

But with that said, I have nothing against belt ranks, I just do not have a use for them in TCMA

Right, I guess they won't do you any real good.

-Julian

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To me belts can be a way to make others feel inadequate like say 2 kids do karate and go to the same school and ones higher belt there could be some bullying almost like "oh look I'm higher than you I'm better than you" which isn't always the case in other styles with no belts everyone's an equal yes you know the ones that are better but there's no official of saying who's "better"

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me belts can be a way to make others feel inadequate like say 2 kids do karate and go to the same school and ones higher belt there could be some bullying almost like "oh look I'm higher than you I'm better than you" which isn't always the case in other styles with no belts everyone's an equal yes you know the ones that are better but there's no official of saying who's "better"
Someone who will do that because of belt rank, will also do it without the belt rank. "I'm better than you" doesn't require a colored circle at your waist.

Latest Discussions