Do you think martial arts are more mental or physical?

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think that we can all agree that studying any art will help you gain control of both your body and your mind, as well as provide healing properties, physical fitness, and mental calmness, but when when it comes to actually performing your art - whether that is on the street, in a tournament, or even just sparring - do you believe it comes down to be more physical or mental?

Just as a small example: Would having the mental instinct to know what to do in combat be more important than developing your body to deliver the moves with maximum efficiency?

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Martial arts requires both. Which us more important, your heart or your lungs?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You train your body to train your mind. Doesn't work the other way. It's like riding a bicycle. No one learns how to do it by reading it in a book. You have to get on the bike.

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think that we can all agree that studying any art will help you gain control of both your body and your mind, as well as provide healing properties, physical fitness, and mental calmness, but when when it comes to actually performing your art - whether that is on the street, in a tournament, or even just sparring - do you believe it comes down to be more physical or mental?

Just as a small example: Would having the mental instinct to know what to do in combat be more important than developing your body to deliver the moves with maximum efficiency?

I am not one to believe humans have instinct, that said, I know many people who did not need a perfect physical in combat

That said, the body has to be trained to some degree

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not one to believe humans have instinct, that said, I know many people who did not need a perfect physical in combat

That said, the body has to be trained to some degree
And yet even a small child knows how to hit another small child :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Both are of the utmost importance. But the most difficult part of martial training, hands down, is getting to class. Day in and day out. For that you need will.

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Both are of the utmost importance. But the most difficult part of martial training, hands down, is getting to class. Day in and day out. For that you need will.

Would "will" be considered as "mental"? :hmm:

Also, "will" may not be enough- It depends are where one resides, their other financial obligations, and their schedule

But I agree there should be a balance of mind and body

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
At first it is body/mind. Once proficiency sets in, it is mind/body as we relearn everything from a different perspective. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'd say, physical, then intellectual. Don't know about mental.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
I believe you must train both in order to be a better fighter.
Life in every sence should be looked at as a yin-yang, you must have balance.
To be out of balance is to be flawwed, and as a martial artist you should strive for perfection.

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I say that it is important to have the mental aspects in Martial Arts especially when you are a black belt or have been training for a long time. The reason is that a Martial Artist must control his or her emotions, never given into ego and always being humble. Individuals at that level of their training should study the mental aspects.

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Those who train in MMA, don't grasp the mental aspects of Martial Arts just physical. The western world that provides Asian Martial Arts to the masses, don't teach the mental aspects of Martial Arts. If all of us do, then the world won't be filled with egomaniacs.

Aurum

White Belt
Reaction score
I personally think there is more physical training involved than mental one, although there seems to be a lot of mental training as well.

I think, however, that there should be more mental training, taught, essentially, by our Sensei. But I suspect our sensei also helps us there, mh?

I would say spiritual as well, but not all people will feel comfortable with that, since not all people really believe Chi, or the chakra centers, or other energetic concepts that deal with "nonphysical" body functions. Perhaps in a few years we will be more knowledgeable and the concept will be better understood and part of our lives.