Do you feel this is a problem?

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL, Mr. Mavis. And people say romance is dead.......... :D

A

Abbax8

Two years ago I was teaching a kids class, judo. We were doing kesa gatame and escapes. An adult, about my size , was watching. He asked to watch after I looked at him, I said sure. Soon he was asking questions, I invited him onto the mat and showed him Kesa Gatame. He said he had wrestled some, and was having fun. I told to him to get me in Kesa and hold on tight. He did. I said don't let me out. He said your not going anywhere. I rolled him and he said"What happend", "how do I join"

Like everyone said, as long as they don't disrupt class, let them watch, be friendly to them and maybe you'll pick up some students.

Peace
Dennis

Q

Qasim

Originally posted by Kempojujutsu

Maybe I will ask them to join in. God knows the crap ATA is teaching them will only get them hurt.
Bob:asian:

What's ATA?

Q

Qasim

Originally posted by Yiliquan1

American Taekwondo Association (I think).

One of the most infamous politically oriented TKD belt mill associations ever. I have known several TKD blackbelts from the ATA who were "demoted" for various reasons including, but not limited to, refusing to open schools, failing to maintain tournament win records, etc.

Really bad bunch in general, but I have also known some really talented MAists within their ranks.

Oh, American Take One's Dough Association. Now I understand.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Easy, I'll take your comment as a silly joke but referring to Tae Kwon Do as take one's dough infers that we are all greedy McDojangs. Don't pile me in with ATA or whatever bad schools are out there.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Q

Qasim

Originally posted by Damian Mavis

Easy, I'll take your comment as a silly joke but referring to Tae Kwon Do as take one's dough infers that we are all greedy McDojangs. Don't pile me in with ATA or whatever bad schools are out there.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Read my ENTIRE message (including the quote) again, slowly without emotion.

:wavey:

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, considering I'm stupid and can't read straight AND I'm an enraged freak who can't see past the blood boiling in my eyes.... why don't you tell me how referring to TKD as Take one's dough isn't referring to all TKD even if making fun of ATA? You didn't change the name of a singular organisation to make fun of it you changed the name of the ART itself thus making fun of ALL TKD.

Anyway I wasn't mad, I did think it was funny too, I was just lightly saying "hey man! That's the name of my art you're making fun of!" heh

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kempojujutsu

My schools is located inside of a health club. Which is across the street from the local ATA school. The past couple of days, they have had several students come over and watch while they wait for their class to start. Would I be wrong in telling them they can't watch, or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill. The students coming over are around the age of 10-12 and white belts. I don't mind if they are not spying on me. But I do have a problem if they were told to come spy. Thought about going over there and watching them.
Bob :asian:

As stated by many others, if they are polite and respectful then there is no problem.

Now, me as an adult if I am out for lunch or after work in a location I usually do not work in. I will try to look up a club and watch. Why? I like Martial Arts. Also if I know someone local and they ask me about who is in the area, I can say "Hey, I stopped by once and these guys were cool to me and what I saw looked good." If the person is watching, and you feel bothered or wierd, talk to them and ask why they are there? They could want to join but do not want to risk offending or asking wrong.

Just my two cetns worth.

Best Retgards

Rich

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly, what could it hurt?
Is a 10-12 year old informed or experienced enough to derive a 'report' from a spying session?
Even still... give them something to see. Every 10-12 year old is currious.... give them a show. Maybe your enrollment will increase by a few ex-ATA members. Never know.
If nothing else, I am a big believer that we should set a good example and show them what maturity is. Invite them in, get to know their names. IF they are simply waiting to get into their school, give them a place to sit. Most kids of this age are not interested in inter-art/school sqables.. they are martial artists who like to watch/view martial arts. Let them feel welcome.

IF it still bothers you, talk politely to their instructor about it. ASK him/her to deal with it.

Just a thought...
Your Brother
John

((When I was young I went into another school several times just to watch. The instructor made me feel important as a martial artist and encouraged me to follow my dreams in the school I was already in... not his. Years later... I studied with HIM.))

BUILD your martial arts community...
beyond your dojo doors.

OP
K

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Was planning to invite my young guest to class. They seem to not show up. There was a homecoming parade tonight, that went right by us. I do want to thank everyone for your input. I almost didn't want to ask this question. I am sure glad I did. Thank you again my Martial art brothers and sisters.

OP
K

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I havn't been online for almost a week. My adult class has picked up some new students(6), in one week. 4 out of the 6 are TKD people, one has studied Okinawan karate, and the other has never studied but he runs around with the TKD guys. The TKD guys 3 out of the 4 are from across the street, the other guy moved from Chicago. He went across the street and told me he didn't like what they were doing. Alot of jumping around and doing sport karate. The other guys who defected from across the street also got tired of the sport karate and wanted a more realistic martial art. You should of seen their eyes that first class, as big as bowling balls. A couple of the TKD guys had high ranks, one was a red/black belt. The other was a brown belt. It seems each day they come they bring somebody else to do class or to join. If this keeps up I may run the ATA TKD school out of business.(There maybe a Martial Art GOD) :rofl:

Latest Discussions