Student/Instructor contact

cswinsf23

White Belt
Reaction score
a bow
a handshake
a HIGH-5

All much better.
Give them something different to do that will still reinforce the physical expression of "I accept you" or "Good Job" or "I appreciate you"....
but replace the hugs with SOMETHING.

Your Brother
John

+1:angel:

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
From a legal perspective - nip it in the bud now. If you don't want to do that - never be alone with one or more of these girls; always have another adult around as a witness. It's a sad, scary, litigous world - you need to cover your ***.

sad but true - take it from the teachers - stand apart from them physically, but be there for them mentally and emotionally. Keep the parents in view at all times... :( It's a sad truth.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with what a lot of folks have said here. Better to stick to verbal praise & high 5's, than hugs. People accusing &/or misconstruing things happens too often to risk your reputation these days.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, as some of you know I now own a full time commercial school. And I am finding that a good chunk of my new students are females between the age of 7 and 12, and they love taking classed from us. But what I'm finding is that they love physical contact while being instructed. Now, I'm fine with a pat on the shoulder or helping them develop a good kick by raising their legs, even a slite press on the back to help with stretches - all that is no big deal. But after class they have started to come up to me and give me a hug. At this age, I do understand they do this naturally - and it's not a big deal. But I'm uncomfortable with it.

I do know that a few of them have little teacher crushes on me, so there is this fine line here. Should I get over this and just deal with the occasional hug? Or should I nip it in the bud now?

Nip it in the bud. It only takes one parent who thinks it's inappropriate to sink your ship.

Latest Discussions