Distance to train

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone i've seen threads similiar to this one but I wanted to go ahead and ask as I find this interesting. What is the distance everyone currently travels to their martial arts schools? Has this distance if far affected their amount of time they spend on training? Also has anyone recently changed to a closer school or considered doing so?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
at this time when I train the closet time wise is 3 hours away and the most is 8 hours driving time.
When i was younger my instructor was 75 miles from where I lived (until I moved to his town)

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I travel now an hour to and an hour back. I use to have to go thru 3 states before and before that to another country.
I do not think the distance really affected my training in a negative way because I spend enough time with my teacher to make sure I have the material covered. The thing is in my area what I want to learn is not here so I have to travel to study it. If that means next state country what have you then so be it there is always a way and there is always time to train.

Silv3r

White Belt
Reaction score
wow. i don't go that far compared to you guys. my school's 45 minutes from my house. i usually go 3-4 times a week for 2.5 hours at a time. so with travel time it usually takes up about 4 hours of my night.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It depends on the class; my instructor just moved his class to a new location, about 10 miles away (25 minutes). He used to be 20 miles away (35 minutes - more freeway) - but I've gone as far as 40 miles each way weekly to train with him, along with various seminars that were as much as 2 days' travel each direction.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
About 35-40 minutes from my house depending on traffic..HAs not affected my training and I would not leave for someone closer..

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Forty miles each way, three times a week, class time is generally three hours.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
During the Winter about ten miles each way. During the rest of the year about forty miles each way. For the particular teacher I'd go at least double that. One of our fellow students does.

OP
S

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wow guys thanks for all the replies so far, your dedication is respectable, keep it up!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone i've seen threads similiar to this one but I wanted to go ahead and ask as I find this interesting. What is the distance everyone currently travels to their martial arts schools? Has this distance if far affected their amount of time they spend on training? Also has anyone recently changed to a closer school or considered doing so?

For Kenpo, I can make it to the school within 15min. For my Arnis class its about 20min, give or take a few.

Mike

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm about the same as Drac. Given that these days I drive, the distance is no great barrier to training.

When I used to practise Lau Gar I cycled 25 miles for each training session but given the highly physical nature of Lau that was not a bad thing (other than when it was raining :().

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow. I feel lucky! I go four times a week and it takes me almost five minutes to get there. A couple of the Black Belts are out in the hinterlands and travel once a week, 80 miles each way, but, the majority of us are within 10 miles.

Paquita

White Belt
Reaction score
When I trained, about 5 minutes. There are several karate schools and some other MA school here. I feel fortunate to have the best karate dojo (in my opinion) so close.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Years ago, I traveled 25 miles one way to train. It could take as long as an hour & a half to get there (depending on the weather). I did this 3-4 times a week for 5 years. It was the best school of it's kind in the area. The training & the friendships were worth every mile.

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't really know how many minutes it takes to get to class from my home, cuz I usually fall asleep in the car(good thing my mom drives!). I live in Chesapeake, my TKD class is in Hampton. And keep in mind that there is still SOME rush hour traffic. So, I guess it takes, like, an hour?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For one style, about 10 mins, 3 times a week. For the other style, 60 miles, anywhere from 50 mins to 1.5 hours depending on traffic and that is once a week.

The longer one is tough, just because of the time involved, so I don't make it as much as I'd like. If it was closer, I'd be there every night.

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
30mins, by bicycle!
every weekend morning, i will get up earlier, and ride to the park where my master stay on bicycle, stay with him the whole morning.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Throughout my time of training, it's varied from a 5 minute walk, all the way to a 45 minute drive (one way). Regardless of how long it took, though, I've never been bothered by that much of a distance, since the training was certainly worth the time spent.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I started with the ATA when I was on contract out in the Republic of the Marshall Islands. When I moved back home, the nearest school was 51.3 miles from my house.

I now own that school and live 1.1 miles from it. :D