Developing effective techniques

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK Shawn-
Listen, I was getting all snide with you before and dismissing your point out of hand. I’ll grow up now and stop that in the interest of trying to understand one another…which in the end I think helped Robert and I understand each other better. So, apology having been given, lets move on and discuss.

What both you and Todd have talked about is both on the mark and off of it. Here’s what I mean. I think that when you said
“learning technique for technique sake is fine as a training tool to develop speed, accuracy, and stamina. but to teach technique as a basis for self defense is only a set-up for failure.”
You are correct. If we learn the techniques and think “Now I KNOW what I’ll do when attacked in these ways.” We’d be in error, and a good instructor would tell us so. Where you, I believe, are incorrect is in assuming that that is in fact what we are doing. It is not. To do so would be foolish. Mr. Parker seems to have enjoyed the analogy between learning Kenpo and learning to speak another language. I do too, and I think it lends itself well to this issue.

If I were to try to teach you Japanese and I gave you lessons that contained 1000 of the most common Japanese phrases… you’d learn a bit of Japanese, but you’d not become ‘fluent’. If someone spoke to you in Japan and phrased it in an ‘uncommon way’, you’d be thrown for a loop. You’d still sound VERY much like a tourist. If I gave you lessons based on 10o,000 of the most common Japanese phrases, same deal; you’d have a better vocabulary but not a better usage thereof; you’d not be able to really express yourself well in the language…no one would ever claim that you were ‘well spoken & persuasive‘ in Japanese. IF however I gave you 500 of the most common phrases AND taught you their rules of grammar and syntax…etc.; then had you study and rearrange parts of the phrases to be able to make new phrases of your own…in other words, IF I taught you how to formulate your own phrases and made you practice doing so over and over in varying situations and with different shades of nuance…THEN you could become fluent. You may still need to increase your vocabulary…but that’d come with time and experience. THIS, in my mind, is very similar to the use of techniques in American Kenpo!

If I teach you 1000 of the best techniques against 250 of the most common types of attacks… you’d probably be able to move in those techniques just fine…but you’d not be “fluent”, the ramming speed of combat and the adrenal surge it gives plus the amazing amount of variables that enter into the circumstances of actual combat would trip you up, present you with something that you didn’t expect or fell outside the bounds of your 1000 techniques. You’d be the stammering dumbfounded tourist in Japan again.

IF I teach you 100,000 techniques against the 1000 most common types of attacks…NOW I’ve actually made matters worse. Instead of only a few to choose from, now you’d have to search through the huge compendium of techs in your head to find ‘the right one’, and even now…there may not be one. You’d lose. Period.

IF however, I give you 150 techniques against 15 of the most common types of attacks…and then teach you HOW they work and WHY they work…and make you practice rearranging them in different ways to meet different needs in the flow of action…THEN you’d be ‘fluid & fluent’.

You see Shawn, the techniques are a point of reference… given to us to be able to understand how to meet the needs of the moment in many different contexts and circumstances. Their purpose, as you accurately stated, is as a vehicle for us to be able to know what works and why…to be able to internalize the principles and make use of the concepts that make these things function well…and then to be able to manipulate them spontaneously in order best adapt to the needs of …..whatever. The techniques aren’t there for us to execute verbatim from the belt manuals. Being able to simply regurgitate a ‘by the book’ technique is not what will save our keester in the heat of a fight… it will be our ability to adapt in the ways we have been trained. The list of techniques, no matter 32-24-16 or 5 per belt, are sequential lessons… a structure so that we can pass along the understanding that they contain. Without the structure….we are guessing. But the techniques aren’t the answer, they are the question. It’s what we do with them that makes us better able to adapt and survive.

Besides, there’s a lot more than JUST self-defense techniques in what we do in American Kenpo. There are forms, sets, freestyle techs, freestyle sparing, two man drills, weapons, weapon sets, weapon drills, weapon techniques…let alone all of the myriad ways that our instructors can take simple combinations of basics and work us up and down the floor for a good workout. Even the “8 considerations” are nothing more than a conceptual paradigm, a lens through which to view the entire curriculum and practice of Kenpo.

I hope I’m being clear, I get awfully wordy sometimes.
I hope we can discuss this more.

Your Brother
John

R

rmcrobertson

There is no one key that opens all the doors.

Moreover, you don't have one, Shawn. How do I know? Because I've never seen you explain anything about kenpo that isn't already contained within what I've learned.

For example, these, "eight considerations:" how exactly do they differ from Mr. Parker's, "considerations of combat?"

If the sort of kenpo I learned were only techniques, you might have a point. It isn't: there're sets, forms, sparring, basics, theoretical knowledge at all levels...and above all there's the reality of practice.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
There is no one key that opens all the doors.

Moreover, you don't have one, Shawn. How do I know? Because I've never seen you explain anything about kenpo that isn't already contained within what I've learned.

For example, these, "eight considerations:" how exactly do they differ from Mr. Parker's, "considerations of combat?"

If the sort of kenpo I learned were only techniques, you might have a point. It isn't: there're sets, forms, sparring, basics, theoretical knowledge at all levels...and above all there's the reality of practice.
The "eight" considerations are the considerations of combat Robert. I just didn't call it by the exact terminology taught to you. We don't call them the eight considerations either; because, attitude is always first, which would make it nine. Anyways thats what they called 'em when I was a kid, and I thought maybe you knew what I was refering too. so, to answer your question... not a damn thing. I'm not claiming to have new info Robert. Thats the whole point!
Its all there right under your nose. And yes there is only one key the considerations of combat, as you call them.
Sean

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
The "eight" considerations are the considerations of combat Robert. I just didn't call it by the exact terminology taught to you. We don't call them the eight considerations either; because, attitude is always first, which would make it nine. Anyways thats what they called 'em when I was a kid, and I thought maybe you knew what I was refering too. so, to answer your question... not a damn thing. I'm not claiming to have new info Robert. Thats the whole point!
Its all there right under your nose. And yes there is only one key the considerations of combat, as you call them.
Sean
Sean, you don't get it, you won't get it, and it's futile for your semi-literate brain to absorb the knowledge that we pass to our students. You don't understand the art much less have the ability to convey it.

DarK LorD

O

Oak Bo

That was a good post Brother John, please keep sharing.
:asian:

R

rmcrobertson

And how exactly do you TEACH these "eight considerations," which are really nine considerations (a curious approach to counting, which ought to suggest something's amiss right there?)

If they aren't new, why do you keep going on about progress and creativity?

My basic point's this: without the techniques, forms, etc., I simply don't see how a student's supposed to learn--with the exception perhaps of the occasional (much less common than some might think) genius?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
And how exactly do you TEACH these "eight considerations," which are really nine considerations (a curious approach to counting, which ought to suggest something's amiss right there?)

If they aren't new, why do you keep going on about progress and creativity?

My basic point's this: without the techniques, forms, etc., I simply don't see how a student's supposed to learn--with the exception perhaps of the occasional (much less common than some might think) genius?
I was using old terminology for your benefit. Was it bad terminology? yes, that is why everyone renamed it. So what's amiss with the "considerations of combat"?. Your the one that just used the term progress, why are you accusing me of going on and on about it?

Clyde,
What ever it is you are selling. I don't want any part of it.
Sean

R

rmcrobertson

Fine Sean.

What exactly are your "eight considerations," no really nine, and would you mind giving me an illustration of how exactly you would teach a typical lesson?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you have already rejected them and don't know them already, naming them for you isn't going to help. Just keep on with your environment and targets thing; it gives you the need for the 154 techs. I won't try to take that away. By the way I didn't reject the techs we just don't promote based on how many you aquire.
Sean

PS since you asked (attitude, environment, range, position, maneuvers, targets weapon, angle, and cover)

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
If you have already rejected them and don't know them already, naming them for you isn't going to help. Just keep on with your environment and targets thing; it gives you the need for the 154 techs. I won't try to take that away. By the way I didn't reject the techs we just don't promote based on how many you aquire.
Sean

PS since you asked (attitude, environment, range, position, maneuvers, targets weapon, angle, and cover)
Lord help us if you actually have students to project this arcane knowledge you possess. By the way, look at your tag at the end of your post, it's almost what I've been spouting, Environment and Target availability. The eight considerations come into play once the tech. has been initiated.

FYI, it's 154 base plus extensions. So, If I learn to breathe correctly do I get an 8th or do I just get into a good neutral bow?

DKL

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi DKL,

Up early as usual, I was on the SanJoseKenpo board and observed a question about the 9 rules of kenpo (Stategy, A book of five rings).

It is interesting what one see's as 'knowledge' and others notice as 'arcane'.

A package wrapped up in different paper and presented to an unknowing group of people, like an old book of saying's from 3000 years ago (I have read even longer,like maybe 5000,) and then giving credit to the person saying it.

Kind of reminds me of 'Aesop fables'.

It is all based upon 'Knowledge' and the ability to 'distribute' it to the new and ever consuming public.

I like the way, Hollywood takes an old tale and wraps it up into a modern story, most of the consuming public know's no difference, but the critic who is well endowed with information, looks at it from a different angle.

Just my observation.

Regards, Gary

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Once upon a time there was a thread titled "are all these techniques really necessary?" Several people made some excellent posts. That thread got sidetracked and is now locked. I think that the thread had some excellent stuff that is worth pursuing. So...

How do you develop effective techniques?
I haven't read through the other posts (and can't remember if I posted here before) but I would think that just following the Technique acquisition process of Form, Power, Focus and Speed would be the way to develop effective techniques.

Speed would have to be specified (Mechanical speed, muscular speed, reaction speed) so that you knew what you were trying to accomplish in your short term training goals, but the process seems to be effective as a development tool.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
GAB said:
Hi DKL,

Up early as usual, I was on the SanJoseKenpo board and observed a question about the 9 rules of kenpo (Stategy, A book of five rings).

It is interesting what one see's as 'knowledge' and others notice as 'arcane'.

A package wrapped up in different paper and presented to an unknowing group of people, like an old book of saying's from 3000 years ago (I have read even longer,like maybe 5000,) and then giving credit to the person saying it.

Kind of reminds me of 'Aesop fables'.

It is all based upon 'Knowledge' and the ability to 'distribute' it to the new and ever consuming public.

I like the way, Hollywood takes an old tale and wraps it up into a modern story, most of the consuming public know's no difference, but the critic who is well endowed with information, looks at it from a different angle.

Just my observation.

Regards, Gary
?????????????????

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
brother john
my statement simply implies that, even though you are learning hundreds of techniques, you are still limiting yourself by virtue of number of techniques.
you can have 10000 techniques but somewhere down the line.....maybe number five, you're just rehashing old news. sit back and look at what the technique is teaching, technique be damned. you should be able to defend yourself with any motion as long as you understand the principles governing that motion......if you dont learn the principles, you've learned nothing but a bunch of useless techniques.
there are thousands of cobs of corn in a cornfield.....but its all corn.

shawn
The techniques reach, mimick the principles. How do you illustrate your principles? By showing a technique-then the student shows you your technique (or a close variation of it) to illustrate your techique! Techniques are boat or bridge to cross a river, the object is'nt the boat or bridge but the opposite shore.
Todd

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Kai,

I understand what you are saying, but 'alas' you no get mine.

Oh well. ( I know redundent)

Regards, Gary

Are you following me?????

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey DKL-
Thanks for the compliment man! Knowing what a straight shooter you are, the impact of a compliment from you is all the more profound! :asian: So thanks Bro.

Shawn (blackcatbonz) and Touch of Death:
I wrote a longish reply to you both but hadn't heard any of your thoughts/reactions to it...
As I said at the end, I hope we could discuss it further.
please? :idunno:
You guys don't wana play w/me no mo?
Or yas just doesn't wana write a book report/review? ( I did write a Long'n didn't I?)
1way or the other: I do hope to hear from you on it.

(I'll soon contact the 'Cliff's Notes' people to see if they can break my posts/replies down into easier to handle chunks :ultracool )

Your Brother
John

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
GAB said:
Hi Kai,

I understand what you are saying, but 'alas' you no get mine.

Oh well. ( I know redundent)

Regards, Gary

Are you following me?????
Not even close!! The 5 considerations and the book of 5 rings are opposite ends of the spectrum. Both are important but to say one is the same as the other shows that you are merely trying despertly trying to grind a point in!
Hollywood has changed look at the difference between a BW silent film vs. just about any movie today!
Todd

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
Lord help us if you actually have students to project this arcane knowledge you possess. By the way, look at your tag at the end of your post, it's almost what I've been spouting, Environment and Target availability. The eight considerations come into play once the tech. has been initiated.

FYI, it's 154 base plus extensions. So, If I learn to breathe correctly do I get an 8th or do I just get into a good neutral bow?

DKL
So, it seems "you" have evolved passed Mr. Parkers methods and not I. That little quip about when they start proves you didn't understand them enough to keep them or discard them, but by all means discard them. It suits you. :asian:
Sean
PS Award yourself a tenth for all I care, anyone who evolves passed the cycle of consideratitons might as well.

Latest Discussions