Developing effective techniques

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
.....Nor am I buying the notion that because jazz and other art forms RESEMBLE martial arts, you should, like, teach martial arts that way. Y'all are confusing where you get to eventually with what you should teach...and oh, by the way...Wynton Marsalis may play jazz, but he was classically trained, alas. You know...scales, arpeggios, rhythm exercises, etc. I saw Gene Kelly tap dance in roller skates the other night, but he did not get to that by just sticking on skates and going at it. He got there by long, slow, boring, repetitive, necessary practice...

Robert, if you read my post thoroughly you'd see that I attained a certain level of mastery of the techniques before allowing creativity in my Kenpo, and that's what I'd recommend to anyone. As for my analogy, of course someone should know the basics and necessary architecture of any art form before attempting to stray into their own creativity--and I said that in so many words. It'd be caucophony. But solely playing scales, exercises or progressions without creative diversion is a) boring b) will keep you from greater insights into music c) will not advance the art form or your skill as a composer. Sorry to be esoteric, but the example still fits as I see it.

Oh, and I'm not a teacher, but here's a decent first lesson as I see it:

1) Introduce everyone, hard and fast warmup, length depends on conditioning level of students.

2) Chat easily while stretching.

3) Briefly discuss background of Kenpo and why it's practical.

4) Show proper way to form neutral bow, explain its place in Kenpo, the importance of a good base, posture, and form. Gently push uke from different directions in a variety of stances to show effect and use of the third balance point.

5) Get out the pads and demonstrate proper upward, outward, and inward blocking technique. Let them partner up, hit the pads and help adjust their form as necessary.

6) Demonstrate proper technique for the front ball kick. Break out the pads, show them the proper way to hold pads as well. Let them kick away, critique technique.

7) Line up and have a question and answer period. Let them know what to expect in the next few classes.

8) Go step by step through the greeting, slowly! Don't critique yet, just let them get a feel. File out.

R

rmcrobertson

Please show me where I argued for the endless repetition of basics as all there was to training, or even suggested this. That's a common misunderstanding: it's not what I argued for.

The lesson you describe has some issues from my viewpoint--"hard and fast warmup?" what kind? "Stretching?" What kind and why? And some omissions, most notably a horse stance and punches ("Law of the fist," ya know...), but that's relatively trivial.

Thanks for the responsive and intelligent answer. I was beginning to wonder if anybody could simply describe what they do...and I'd still be interested in explanations of why one would teach in particular ways.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Please show me where I argued for the endless repetition of basics as all there was to training, or even suggested this. That's a common misunderstanding: it's not what I argued for.

I don't think you've argued for the endless repetition of basics rather than the lack of room for creative interpretation in Kenpo. If that's not the way you feel, then we're in agreement--or something close.

rmcrobertson said:
The lesson you describe has some issues from my viewpoint--"hard and fast warmup?" what kind? "Stretching?" What kind and why? And some omissions, most notably a horse stance and punches ("Law of the fist," ya know...), but that's relatively trivial.

Sorry, didn't know you wanted so much detail. For a warmup I prefer some "shuttle run" type of sprints, jumping jacks or other type of cardio followed by P.T. exercises such as push-ups--wide, shoulder and close hand positions--crunches, and squat-thrusts. With a new group I'd also do 20-second push-ups, leg raises, and squats to failure, which relieves nervous tension through temporary muscle exhaustion. That's the overall idea here, get the blood flowing and the nervousness out.

As for stretching, I like yoga's Sunrise Salute which combines a lot of different postures as well as more traditional track-type stretches like the butterfly, IT band, hamstring and modified hurdlers, plus a couple others for arms, wrists, and back. I'd do these for at least 30 seconds to get a dynamic stretch. The benefits of stretching include improved range of motion, injury prevention, and relaxation.

Granted, my "First Lesson" ignores a lot of important material, but an hour isn't a long time, and the student can be pretty frazzled and suffering from information overload just by the stress of dealing with the unfamiliar--the next few lessons would include more. I'd prefer just to give him/her a few things they'll definitely remember than a lot of things they won't. I might teach them the horse stance while they practice blocks, but I wouldn't put a name to it yet; or maybe I would, depending on the students and how much I think they can retain. Punches and their proper technique would be the next lesson, unless there was time left over and the students were up to it.

rmcrobertson said:
Thanks for the responsive and intelligent answer. I was beginning to wonder if anybody could simply describe what they do...and I'd still be interested in explanations of why one would teach in particular ways.

You're most welcome. Thanks for the dialogue. There might be some name for the way I prefer to teach (on the rare occasion I do), which is identical to the way I like to learn, specifically to martial arts. Maybe you can tell me if there's an educational term for this Robert:

Teacher demonstrates technique, full speed. Teacher then demonstrates again, only step-by-step, noting principles used as well as ideal targets and weapons formation.

Teacher opens for questions.

Teacher and student slowly act same technique in unison.

Students attempt on their own and critiqued.

Another question-and answer period.

Why teach this way? Imitation and repetition fortifies the proper body mechanics. The discussion periods help build the broad picture for the martial artist, connect the dots if you will. Understand the Why as well as the When, Where, and How.

Is that the kind of info you wanted?