Descendants of "Fakes, Frauds, Con Men..."

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry, but I've got to address this. Not really sure where you got your history from, so let's ake it bit by bit...

I think if you look at history though you will find that many of our great arts have come from just that. For instance - Ninjutsu. During the time of Samurai oppression there was one farmer who had the guts or lunacy (whoever writes history) to stand up to an oppressive Samurai and take his sword while unarmed.

Now this is a new origin story to me! The ninja were often displaced Samurai, not farmers. That was part of the origin of Karate on the Ryukyu Islands (the Ryukyu Kingdom), most notably Okinawa.

At the time, the Ryukyu chain of Islands had been occupied by the Japanese, probably to occupy the Samurai's time so they didn't start fighting each other, and the Okinawan locals were banned from possessing most forms of weaponry (it should be noted that they were not banned from holding all weapons, as the upper classes were permitted to wear items such as Shoto [short swords] as a part of their social positioning).

When the occupation became too much, the locals, who had combined their local combative knowledge with the newer teachings from China, and had been working on a form of resistance movement, responded to the Samurai. This art would later become what we know as Karate, although that name was still quite a way off. But it's principles, origin, tactics, methods, weaponry (and even it's reasons for the development of it's particular weaponry) are all very different from those found in Ninjutsu. So, no, the Ninja originators were not farmers, but Samurai, hence their weaponry being actual, purposefully designed, weapons.

As this legend grew so did the art - the man was said to be possibly from China and if you look at the movements it makes sense. As history went on and Samurai left their masters and some Samurai paid Ninja to get rid of other Samurai you had melding. Eventually you had Ninjutsu from two different regions, Iga and Koka, which then spawn into nine Ryu which all learn tactics of hiding their illegal weapons.

Yeah, uh, no. Various schools do have as part of their origins teachings thta originate in China, but China was seen to be the source of pretty much all knowledge for a great deal of Japanese history. The written language is pretty much ripped off from the Chinese, the court structure was based on the Chinese, the first styles of armour and swords were based on the Chinese, in order to be considered an educated Japanese you had to learn the 5 Chinese Classics (which proved you could at least read, and probably write). So claiming China is not unusual, nor unexpected.

But some of the stories go back even further. Koto Ryu, for instance, often has it's history traced back to China when members of the court fled to Korea, the art continued through to Chan Busho and Ikai who brought it to Japan. But delve back further and you find stories of it being in India (before China) where it was known as Karani, meaning "magical techniqes, or skills", due to the ease with which opponents were knocked down.

Samurai paying Ninja? As established, Ninja often were Samurai, so no. And the word "Samurai" comes form the term "sabaru", meaning "to serve". The Samurai were not the ones paying, that would be the Daimyo (fuedal lords of domains of varying sizes, always vying with each other for more power and influence). And rather than them "melding", the Samurai often tranied in Ninja arts, and vice versa. In fact, tracing the history of the remaining arts, you will find the a number of them have been identified as either Ninja or Samurai arts at different times depending on who was the head at the time, and the political climate surrounding it.

The last sentence (in this part). Well. Yes, there do appear to have been two distinct geographical regions with which the Ninja are most associated, however the rest of this sentence is just plain nonsense. Pronunciation aside (Iga and Koga/Koka/Kohka - the first is probably the most accepted, I've mainly seen bogus Koga Ryu groups try to emphasise the latter two to give the appearance of knowledge, but I'm not ruling them out), saying that these locales resulted in 9 Ryu is simply not understanding the way the arts are today. So I'll make it simple.

According to the best estimates, there were between 73 and 250 different, seperate, and distinct ryu of Ninjutsu which came into existance between the Kamakura Jidai and the Sengoku Jidai (basically 13th century through to the end of the 16th, beginning of the 17th century), of which only a tiny handful have managed to survive. Where they have survived is in the Bujinkan and it's related bretheren. The Bujinkan is made up of 9 seperate ryu, which are Ninja and Samurai arts, the number of each depending upon your interpretation of which are Ninja and which are Samurai. But definately, at least 3 Ninjutsu systems (Togakure Ryu, Kumogakure Ryu, Gyokushin Ryu, as well as possibly Gikan Ryu, Gyokko Ryu, Shinden Fudo Ryu, and Koto Ryu), and a few Samurai arts (Takagi Yoshin Ryu, Kukishinden Ryu, as well as Shinden Fudo Ryu, and depending on the interpretation, Gyokko Ryu, Gikan Ryu, and Koto Ryu).

The weaponry was not hidden because it was illegal. It is just easier to surprise someone of they don't realise you're armed. Remember, this was a time when people commonly walked around with weapons, not just Samurai. It was the same in Europe, the rest of Asia, even the early frontier days of America had most men walking around with guns. Just the way it was (and it sometimes seems, still is in parts).

Then Japan gets upset and decides all these warriors around killing each other are too powerful for the Emperor to build a society in which he can have free trade with other nations. He hires the Samurai to do away with the Ninja. He thinks they have succeeded. Fortunately, Ninjutsu is an art based in secrecy, silence, and shadows. Hence, then it is time to do something with the Samurai. They hire Americans with the Gattling (please I know I am spelling this wrong help me out) Gun.

At this point, in fact ever since the Ashikaga Shogunate, from about 1336, the Emperor was little more than a figurehead the Shoguns used to keep the populace happy. So we can take him out of the equation. But you seem to be jumping around through history here. The Emperor was looking for free trade with the rest of the world after the Meiji restoration (1862-8), which occured after the fall of the Tokugawa Shogunate. One of the major catalysts for this, it should be noted, was Commodore Perry basically demanding Japan opens it's doors or be blown up, as the Tokugawa Shogunate had had Japan existing as an isolationist state for over 200 years (for the record, although Tokugawa Ieyasu often gets credit for that, it was the third Tokugawa Shogun who actually closed Japan off).

With "the Emperor hiring the Samurai to do away with the Ninja", not sure where to start with this... The Emperor was pretty much powerless at this point, as noted, so he didn't do anything (by the way, we've suddenly jumped back from the Meiji Restoration to the mid-late Sengoku Jidai, or from 1870+ back to the 1560's). The Samurai were loyal to the particular Daimyo they served, unless they were Ronin, so no need to "hire" them for anything. They were employed, not hired. What I believe you are alluding to are the two invasions of Iga by Oda Nobunaga. The first was headed by his son, and although they had superior forces, Oda's army was soundly routed. The next time, Oda Nobunaga himself led the campaign, and outnumbered the residents of Iga probably about 10:1 (the most common numbers I have heard are 40,000 for Oda, 4,000 Iga residents). This time the Iga warriors had little chance, with some reports having as few as 80 Ninja escaping the battle of Iga no Ran.

We then jump forward again to post-Meiji Japan, and we look to the events fictionalised in "The Last Samurai". Not sure what any of this has to do with Ninjutsu being an art of "secrecy and shadows", or of "the Emperor believing the Ninja were destroyed". It should be noted that not long after the battle fo Iga no Ran, Oda Nobunaga was assasinated by one of his own generals (note: a Samurai!), and Tokugawa Ieyasu employed Hattori Hanzo and his Iga-Gumi Ninja to assist him in intelligence gathering in his (successful) quest to become Shogun, Miiltary Leader of Japan.

Now all warrior arts in Japan are banned. Jigoro Kano wishes to train others so that his art that he is a master in does not die. He takes the lethality out of the beginning ranks of Japanese Ju Jutsu and it becomes Judo. The lethal moves are saved for the masters above whose loyalty he has earned.

The only total ban on Martial Arts in Japan that I know of was imposed after World War 2 by the occupying American forces, and that lasted less than a decade. It is true that after the Tokugawa took control of Japan, there became less and less opportunity and need for Samurai to keep up their Martial skills, but a number of them found a way to translate their arts into new financial gain, including operating as security or police (taking the place of the commoners who had previously held these positions), and in some cases by teaching their skills to the general public. It could bery well be argued that this then is the origin of the formalisation, or creation, of the ryu we know today.

As for Kano Jigoro "wanting to train others so the art he mastered doesn't die", Kaon had mastered a number of arts, most prominent amongst them the Kito Ryu and the Tenshin Shinyo Ryu. As was the custom at that time, once recieving mastership of an art, a student was expected to go their own way seperate from the art, unless they were being groomed to take over. Kano simply did what was expected, which was to combine his knowledge to develop his own approach to the skills. The result was what would later be called judo. As for removing the lethal techniques, and only giving them to his most trusted, not sure where you got that from. The original form of judo, as far as I know, was very rough and violent as were the arts that spawned it. In competition, however, Kano imposed a new set of rules under which they would compete, which gave the new Kano-ha Jujutsu students an edge. There were still quite nasty techniques involved.

From the Japanese occupation of Okinawa we get Karate.

Yes. See above.

From the Japanese occupation of Korea we get Tae Kwon Do. And after Korea splits we get ITF and WTF.

No. From General Choi studying Shotokan Karate we get Tae Kwon Do. From the Japanese occupation of Korea we get long lasting tensions between nations, and possibly the initial stages of Kumdo. But not Tae Kwon Do. And the ITF and WTF after Korea splits? The Korean War split the Tae Kwon Do associations? Nah, it was just people having disputes of political power within heirachies. No big surprise there.

Bruce Lee mentioned above is told that he will never be allowed to teach the white man. He creates his own style and does it anyway - OK, really long movie shortened into a really short paragraph. (Trying to keep things light and intelligent and non-threatening in anyway. :angel:)

Without getting into the HUGE number of errors in the movie "Dragon" with Scott Lee (this is the one you are refering to, yes?), there were said to be issues with what Bruce himself was taught by Yip Man, being not full-blooded Chinese, so the movie version of his "struggle to break free from the oppression of tradition and blindly-followed dogma" is a little out of place. I believe he was confronted, and challenged to be able to teach publicly, but that is more to do with teaching the public than a particular race. He later starts to put together his own interpretation of what is important, branching out from his original teachings, and that is the formation of Jeet Kune Do. Not a symbolic statement against those who refuse to embrace the future he represented.

The point of this is, is that all of these men were supposed to fail at the creation of their own art. Heck, (not cursing) most of them were supposed to end up dead for it. Yet they succeeded. But here we are, Monday morning quarterbacking masters that have the courage or lunacy to try to do it where they see a need.

Um, huh? No, not lunacy, and they were not supposed to "end up dead" for starting a new art, instead, as I said with Kano Sensei, it was simply common practise.

In my husband's case it was a cultural need. He has a few mixes of Asian blood, one being Japanese and he wanted to them together. It has never been about the money. As far as the Ninjutsu goes, any student that has qualified for Ninjutsu training under the old rules takes an oath and trains privately in that art for FREE. Even the uniform and weapons are gift because at that point they are family of his master and treated as such. Any student who asks to be taught never will be. The closest he ever comes to teaching "Ninpo" is a monthly seminar on a weapon or technique. No paying student is taught the full system. He strictly teaches Budoiki Ryu Bujutsu which is a hybrid art that has been recognized and Tae Kwon Do which he is a 3rd dan in and will be going for his 4th dan in this fall. When a student makes dan grade in Budoiki Ryu Bujutsu they also have completed the full curriculum to make Dan grade in WTF Tae Kwon Do. That way if they feel they want to move on they can.

This, I must say, simply smacks of movie fantasy land. If you want to learn you can't, and if you do get taught, you don't pay, but we don't teach Ninjutsu/Ninpo except at occassional seminars on one aspect or another, but our website is set up around Ninjutsu as it's entire selling point... Not quite following you there. There are definate, and quite legitimate, concerns about the ninjutsu aspects of your (husband's?) school. If the basis of everything you teach there is Tae Kwon Do, why not emphasise that instead? It would be more accurate, as well as less confusing to us here.

These are my opinions and why I have them. Opinions are like colds - everybody gets them nobody minds sharing but nobody wants yours (and yes that was a cleaned up addage) but I just wanted to share because I did see some open minded souls on here.

Yes, we do certainly appreciate opinions, and new approaches, but you unfortunately have not started on the right footing here, with a seeming lack of understanding on the subject you are addressing. That in itself isn't a problem nor indeed a bad thing, so please realise we are just trying to help when we ask for some verification or details. And, yes, I realise you have just begun this journey, and don't want to doubt your husband/master, so please recognise our intentions here are not aggressive nor antagonistic. We are simply interested in finding the truth to our chosen paths, as I am sure you are. And, as you asked in another thread, my current rank is Sandan (3rd Dan) with some 16-odd years of training in Ninjutsu, 6 years of Karate and Tae Kwon Do before that, and as much reading and learning as I could get for the past 25 years plus.

Budo and because I forgot to say so yesterday Happy St Patty's Day,

HeisaaReborn

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry, but I've got to address this. Not really sure where you got your history from, so let's ake it bit by bit...

I do appreciate that you are trying to help. My history is not nearly as good as my masters. I realize I have bitten off more than I can chew although I do see some historical inaccuracies in yours as well but I think in any family feud there are will always be different perceptions of the story. And unfortunately we come to the table as children from two different families who stopped talking to each other decades ago. While we have never met we each have our own side to protect, our own perceptions, and our own versions, and this is going to cause differences. And yes if you have any specific questions about what JCA said you are welcome to use the same avenues if you have questions. I believe it is within better martial spirit to ask privately rather than attack publicly anyway.

Budo,

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm,

I do appreciate that you are trying to help. My history is not nearly as good as my masters. I realize I have bitten off more than I can chew although I do see some historical inaccuracies in yours as well but I think in any family feud there are will always be different perceptions of the story.

Please point out anything you feel is inaccurate. I will endeavour to correct, learn, or provide evidence to support.

And unfortunately we come to the table as children from two different families who stopped talking to each other decades ago. While we have never met we each have our own side to protect, our own perceptions, and our own versions, and this is going to cause differences.

The argument here, I feel, is how far apart are we. I would suggest that we were never talking in the first place (in that I have yet to see anything supporting authentic ninjutsu or knowledge of Japanese arts or history).

And yes if you have any specific questions about what JCA said you are welcome to use the same avenues if you have questions. I believe it is within better martial spirit to ask privately rather than attack publicly anyway.

But this is a public forum you have chosen to join and participate in. And simply correcting some (glaringly - sorry!) obvious gaps in your knowledge of the history of the arts and culture you are claiming is far from an attack.

Budo,

Finally, I know this is knit-picking, but your use of the word "Budo" as your signature confuses me. You seem to use it as a statement in and of itself, where it is a noun (for example, in another post, you end with "budo and because I forgot to say it yesterday..."). How are you interpreting the term "Budo"?

HeisaaReborn

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The character "Budo" in itself is actually derived from two other characters whose names I can't remember. One is the verb "To Prevent" the other is the the noun "Conflict" making the word mean "To Prevent Conflict" - interesting name for part of a character that becomes part of Bujutsu or warrior art. It kind of has become a custom within our school to sign off with it in the meaning of To Prevent Conflict - also as a way of reminding us to be at peace. It is a spiritual as well as physical state. I will try to find the picture for this I know he has it as part of his desktop but I am at work. So that is why I sign in that way. Take care.

Budo,

HeisaaReborn

Orange Belt
Reaction score
But this is a public forum you have chosen to join and participate in. And simply correcting some (glaringly - sorry!) obvious gaps in your knowledge of the history of the arts and culture you are claiming is far from an attack.

If I had only had to respond to what I had said or not said yesterday I would be fine with everything. Unfortunately the way all this started was I mentioned to someone who was opening school that my before we opened my husband used to contract as a "troubleshooter" and even did his own translations. This included getting costs down on things such as marketing printing, etc. We rarely pay for any of our printing and if we do its usually less than $20-$30 a shot. I was offering a hand to someone who was in the same position we were. JCA came back with you mean this translation with a link to my husbands Ninjutsu rank certs. Which by the way I do know those were sent from japan because I was home when they came. They were the only ones his master ever did and it was only so he would have some credibility in America where everyone wants paper.

Budo,

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The character "Budo" in itself is actually derived from two other characters whose names I can't remember. One is the verb "To Prevent" the other is the the noun "Conflict" making the word mean "To Prevent Conflict" - interesting name for part of a character that becomes part of Bujutsu or warrior art. It kind of has become a custom within our school to sign off with it in the meaning of To Prevent Conflict - also as a way of reminding us to be at peace. It is a spiritual as well as physical state. I will try to find the picture for this I know he has it as part of his desktop but I am at work. So that is why I sign in that way. Take care.

Budo,

To clarify, the character "bu" ("wu" in Chinese) is made up of two separate archaic idiograms. These represent "spear" and "to stop", giving the meaning for "bu" (martial) of "stopping a spear", or stopping conflict. This is thought to have been derived from The Art Of War by Sun Tzu, which is really a collection of conversations headed by Sun Tzu on military and governing principles fo rancient China. In it, it is stated that the ultimate victory is one achieved without violence or risk of injury.

However, that is just the origin of the written character. Over time, the word has become it's own concept, which we translate as "martial", meaning "having to do with warfare" (although, if we do the same thing to the English word, we find that our word "martial" means "in reverance to, or having to do with, the God Mars"). The full term you use, though, is "Budo", not just "Bu".

"Do", also pronounced "michi", can mean street, path, or way. So "Budo" doesn't mean anything like "to prevent conflict", like "martial" no longer involves prayer or sacrifice to a Roman God. Instead, "Budo" means "the Martial Path, or Way", and is a noun. You don't wish someone "Budo!", but you might end a letter with something like "yours in Budo". Does that make sense?

Unfortunately, it is this type of basic, fundamental error that are raising red flags to us here, particularly if this is a common thing within your school, or started by your husband/teacher.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, and Japan has long been possibly one of the most literate societies on the planet. If either culture would be more concerned about paper, I would say it be the Japanese. After all, you often need at least one, if not multiple letters of recommendation to gain an interview to a number of classical systems. I would be very worried if that certificate came from Japan.

HeisaaReborn

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well it did come from Japan. There is nothing to be worried about. Like I said if you have any questions of this nature please feel free to address them to my teacher. He will gladly answer them.

HeisaaReborn

Orange Belt
Reaction score
But considering I have not heard of one phone call or email yet than I am wondering if your motivation is really the truth?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cute. No, I won't call, as I am in Melbourne, Australia, and as for e-mail, you came to us. We know what we've seen, it's now in your hands to provide some evidence, and that certificate actually goes against you. How about you answer the simplest of my questions? Where do you get your information so we can check it out for ourselves? Name a book, give a link to a website, anything. At the moment, we're starting to feel you're a lost cause like others before you...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Note on ""From Japan"

I am far from an expert on Japanese certifications and things of this nature from Japan and their authenticity but I do have some knowledge of things China and I am willing to admit it could be different.

You can get just about any certificate you want in China for a price, there are authentic books on various topic that are actually fraudulent, for sale at high prices. A person that is out to make money could give you a certificate that says you are the Grandmaster of every single MA known in China and it would look authentic and be correct in its writing but fake.

My first Sifu, from China, gave out a dozen or so certificates many years ago and told all he gave them to they could now teach taiji. I was actually one of his teachers then but I never did get a certificate and did not know why, but then I didn’t much care at the time either. In retrospect it was because I know too many Chinese people. One eventually translated this "Certificate" for me (he to was a student) It said that my Sifu taught them Yang style 24 form, and that was all it said. It looked mighty official, even had his picture on it but not one of the people that got the alleged cert had any idea as to what it really said. They went off and started teaching taiji and all fully believe that the cert was legit and said they were now considered taiji teachers by my first Sifu. There are other ways by the way in China that a sifu lets a student know he is a student and if he thinks he is ready to go teach that do not involve certifications.

But not knowing Japan I am not sure how plausible something like this is in Japan.

There are tons of "Famous" American goods for sale in major stores in China that I have never heard of and a lot of people pay high prices for them. But as my brother-in-law puts it, If I have never heard of them (being from the US) it mean fake. And thousands of Chinese buy them and never know the difference.

I will end with where’s Don Roley when you need him…..

EDIT
I am not implying that the cert is fake but it sounds as if it is written in a strange manor for it to be official but based on what is presented one must consider all possibilities.

And no I am not going to call anyone, it is really not that important to me either way as to authenticity (I have my opinion based on the website already but then that is just that...my opinion) and it is a long distance call.

Last edited:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Xue since you mentioned Don's named here is a link to his current blog: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=423858376

There is some great reading there!
icon6.gif

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

But not knowing Japan I am not sure how plausible something like this is in Japan.

I'm not anywhere close to as knowledgeable as Don Roley...but my experience with the JMAs is that lineage is king, it is even more important than rank. That is not to say that the Japanese disregard rank, but "who do you train under" seems to be a far more important question than "how long have you been training" or "what rank are you now".

As far as I know, fake certs do exist in Japan. But with the more reputable schools looking at lineage and cross reference, they are less valuable than they would be to a foreigner, who could purchase a fake cert and display it with little or no chain-of-custody.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm not anywhere close to as knowledgeable as Don Roley...but my experience with the JMAs is that lineage is king, it is even more important than rank. That is not to say that the Japanese disregard rank, but "who do you train under" seems to be a far more important question than "how long have you been training" or "what rank are you now".

As far as I know, fake certs do exist in Japan. But with the more reputable schools looking at lineage and cross reference, they are less valuable than they would be to a foreigner, who could purchase a fake cert and display it with little or no chain-of-custody.

Thanks

And don't get me wrong here, in China Lineage is king to and generally used to get the frauds out. But there are still fake lineage claims, generally found outside of China, but they do exist inside as well. There was a rather amazing Yiquan claim that the lineage holders exposed in Beijing and that guy has students in the US that still think he is the real deal. And I have come across 2 false lineage claims since coming to MT, one in Yang and one in Chen. However if you know the lineages and the dates that go with those it is pretty easy to figure out who is fake and who is real but if you don't know the history you can easily get taken

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Chris Parker wrote:
“Samurai paying Ninja? As established, Ninja often were Samurai, so no. And the word "Samurai" comes form the term "sabaru", meaning "to serve". The Samurai were not the ones paying, that would be the Daimyo (fuedal lords of domains of varying sizes, always vying with each other for more power and influence). “

So you are saying Daimyo were not Samurai? My very limited understanding of the Samurai is that they were a class of the population, that had certain rights and responsibilities. With-in this class there were various levels (of privilege and responsibilities) each level getting/taking more responsibility and privilege) and Daimyo were near the very top but still had the responsibilities of even the lowest levels? I admit I really have no idea and only a slight interest in the big picture of things. I think history is important and I enjoy learning.
Thanks Chris.

Mini Off -topic Rant follows and I am not pointing a finger at any one person LOL just in a general direction.

On a side note I know all this stuff is utmost importance to westerners and they will spend countless hours debating clouded history legends and myths (many created just a few years ago) investing part of their own identity and worth in the stories. Any variation or disagreement is viewed as an attack by the weaker minded and partially disillusioned ’defenders’. I have known white guys (Californians in the cases I am thinking of) who lost the beach talk and adopted broken English of that white guy David something who played a Chinese Monk wondering the American West on TV. It was vastly amusing to me then, and it is still vastly amusing to me today.

While in the Army I and others were always greatly amused to listen to two e-nothing privates arguing things out. Both were still relatively immature so their argumentative skills were lacking, and usually with-in a few minutes one would try to ’pull rank’ LOL but of course neither had any to pull so they would resort to time in grade arguments often the ‘winner’ being the one that had a day or two more than the other or able to convince the other that they had a couple of hours on them LOL What was even more amusing is that often neither was completely correct in their argument nor completely wrong, both being so new and ignorant they were unable to see with any experience or perspective. To break up the arguments I would seriously tell them we are going out to the field soon and since it was going to be a helicopter mission we would need a couple of “sky hooks” for our trucks and send one on a mission to gather them by sending that one to the motor pool area and ask the platoon Sgt there for “sky hooks” the other I would send to the communications area seeking a “bag of radio frequencies” Of course all the senior people were in on it and would send the privates from one to the other seniors seeking the non-existent silly things. It might take the private all day to figure out that they were the butt of a wide spread joke at their expense. Most learned a lesson on humility and filed the prank for the next newbie down the line. Some of the other gags were spark plugs for the diesel trucks or wood stretchers to stretch lumber cut too short or putting C-4 (a type of explosive compound) in their pocket or under their helmet to keep it warm…

To be honest I find many of the arguments with-in martial arts to be as amusing, the linage arguments, the arguments about foreign dogma, the arguments about certifications, all the petty bickering and hair splitting debating about semantics. The martial artists engaging in this behavior on-line will turn every single thread into ‘the’ argument or ‘an argument‘, they will follow from one area of the forums to another engaging in ’battle’ at every opportunity often once succeeding in chasing away ‘their enemy’ they will then follow them to different forums hounding and attacking and spending great deals of energy. It is greatly amusing to me (I can be very small minded man at times *sigh* still a work in progress) and even more educational is how intelligent people can appear to become ignorant butts and a little unbalanced in their zeal.

Gratefully the behavior does not last long here on Martial Talk. What is unfortunate is that what often does happen is that one (usually the least prepared to intelligently argue or defend their point) starts getting negative reputation point piled on and becomes much more defensive and personal in their posts and eventually is either banned or just leaves our forum in disgust, leaving the field of ’battle’ to the other one (or more) who may not have even been proven correct but merely better able to argue or more persistent in the hounding.

Look, as martial artists we often sprout about how we can learn from anyone in our training, how it is often the beginners that teach us important lessons, that there is no such thing as stupid questions. How often we fail to live up to these on line makes me wonder how often we fail in face to face life.

Succeeding in driving away members often does not succeed in making a view of an argument stronger or correct it only succeeds in making our forum/community that much weaker!

Far better it seems to me to win in inches rather than constantly going for the throat and kill shot in these debates. That person you just drove off might have the key to unlock some question that has been bothering you for years, or if not you some others question. You can think that the person is a total idiot, their art is totally helpless or perhaps even dangerous, whatever. Say so but to keep on harking about every little detail reflects on both and in my opinion even when very amusing the reflection is still often poor.

There is the belief out there that you can judge a persons success in life by both their friends and their enemies. Do you have great and deep long lasting friendships or a bunch of petty little small enemies. Were your battles worthy of mention or so small and petty that no-one remembers what they were or your part in them.

I myself do not worry about what others are learning or not learning. We get what we deserve and can handle on our journeys. People that want to believe fantasies will tend to migrate to those arts that promote that, those that wish to learn about combat and living and killing before during and after conflict will migrate towards those arts that provide that knowledge, those that wish to learn sportive and competitive skill sets will migrate to those arts that provide that experience. Those that want or need the constant boost to their self-esteem will migrate to the arts that fill that need. If a person ends up in an art that does not fill a need or perform a service for them they will eventually leave and perhaps be a bit wiser for that leg of their journey. It is obvious that particular leg was needed even if it seems wasted time and energy, a lesson should always be appreciated and learned else we will have to re-live it until it is learned.

OK rant off sorry back to the OP topic

“Can an honest, hard-working instructor run a decent, good quality school if his credentials are built on such a hollow foundation?... even if he can fight?”

Perhaps. If the instructor is honest he will admit the credentials weak and seek either better credentials or drop them completely. If he stands on his own feet and gets off the shoulders of the fraud or dishonest fake then he can run a decent, good quality school if he is decent and good. If he teaches from weakness then he and his students will suffer from that weakness even if they can fight and sooner or later that weakness will reveal. In my opinion it is what that instructor does once the weakness is obvious that matters in the long run not where or what the weakness stems from that will determine the success of the instructor and their program.

Regards
Brian King

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Brian my friend

I'm not sure but I think I should be offended...however I am not.

All I can say is that lineage is a big deal to CMA in China to Chinese and false claims and certificates of said fake lineages either get you a visit form the lineage holders asking you to publicly apologize (think major news paper) for the lie or it could give the said impersonator a real good chance to prove his skill. But then it generally depends on the degree of the false claim.

In America, as a member of the Chen family said after he told someone in the US to stop making said false claims of lineage to the Chen family, "this is America so what can I do, China..things would be different"

However this person was VERY aware they made it all up… however his students were not.

HeisaaReborn

Orange Belt
Reaction score
While in the Army I and others were always greatly amused to listen to two e-nothing privates arguing things out. Both were still relatively immature so their argumentative skills were lacking, and usually with-in a few minutes one would try to ’pull rank’ LOL but of course neither had any to pull so they would resort to time in grade arguments often the ‘winner’ being the one that had a day or two more than the other or able to convince the other that they had a couple of hours on them LOL What was even more amusing is that often neither was completely correct in their argument nor completely wrong, both being so new and ignorant they were unable to see with any experience or perspective. To break up the arguments I would seriously tell them we are going out to the field soon and since it was going to be a helicopter mission we would need a couple of “sky hooks” for our trucks and send one on a mission to gather them by sending that one to the motor pool area and ask the platoon Sgt there for “sky hooks” the other I would send to the communications area seeking a “bag of radio frequencies” Of course all the senior people were in on it and would send the privates from one to the other seniors seeking the non-existent silly things. It might take the private all day to figure out that they were the butt of a wide spread joke at their expense. Most learned a lesson on humility and filed the prank for the next newbie down the line. Some of the other gags were spark plugs for the diesel trucks or wood stretchers to stretch lumber cut too short or putting C-4 (a type of explosive compound) in their pocket or under their helmet to keep it warm…

I prefer sending them for a box of grid squares or self inserting IV solution. Thank you for your kind words. I do assure you just as I have that we have said is true - it is just that not all lineages are out in the open and some families do have their "black sheep." I think when you look and see everything else that has been accomplished you really have to ask why he would feel the need to make something up. And I can name some names of friends of the family that have left Bujinkan who have trained with Hatsumi Sensei that know and respect my husband and consider him the real deal. Try Shidoshi Infante the Florida rep for Ninjutsu International Federation then. Besides that I will give no information that his Shidoshi is not willing to give - if he wishes peace, he wishes peace. Honestly one of the things he is looking to do is continue training and get more "paper" from someone that doesn't mind being public as well as just the fact training is a lifelong principle. However, I have feeling that if it is not "kan" it still will not be good enough for some of you. Oh well, we know the truth. I understand the long distance thing. However, if the one that started this feels he is superior the invitation still remains.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Xue Sheng wrote:
“Brian my friend

I'm not sure but I think I should be offended...however I am not.”

LOL I am glad that you are not offended wouldn’t want to come home and see my trees all bruised and banged up. No offense was intended or should have been implied my friend.

I am aware that linage has a place in martial arts. I understand especially for family arts and arts where someone is besmirching the name of the art or the teacher by either misstatement of facts or sloppy performance of said arts or by other unethical behavior may well have financial consequences to said art/teacher/family. What I do question and laugh at is how others feel the need to get involved. You cheat me and I visit you, not you cheat me and some guy across the world that I have never met, publicly calls you cheat and is repeatedly and easily offended in my place. I am not Chinese nor Japanese as far as I know. I am an American and have little understanding of the petty lineage feuds made public by servants standing in for others but reserve and do exercise the right to laugh my butt off at all involved including the teacher/art/family supposedly be defamed or defended. I understand the frustrations of seeing someone or something you care about slandered and mistreated and understand the urge to step in and make it ’right’ at the same time finding it all immensely silly and demeaning to both the ’master/art being defamed as well as the person that feels the continued need to defend. If someone I know is making false claims regarding their resume or past experiences I will approach them in private and ‘counsel’ them. If they do not desist I will end my relationship with them. No need to go public and shout and rant and rave. No need for my relatives or friends or strangers to feel the need to rant and rave in my place.

Again OK to question for clarity and OK to disagree with the answers given. Silly to pursue thread to thread forum to forum demanding admittance of guilt or retraction of answers given. The issue in this thread is now in what four or five different threads now LOL.

I am trying to treat this with respect and decorum and offer an outsiders perspective but it is getting difficult not to assume that all involved with it are silly butts and laugh at and dismiss as silly those involved.

How do all these ninjers type so fast while wearing those black glove thingys, do their fingers cramp? Can they see the computer monitors while wearing those black mask things? Does the blade and rope and blinding powder up their sleeve give them carpel tunnel syndrome while keying at the keyboard or do they offer extra wrist support? There are so many more important questions that are waiting to be asked than the same old your master is a fake which means my master is the real deal arguments currently being made over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over….barf.. But maybe that is all that they have to offer so I guess they give what they can?

It all seems so very shallow and silly to me, as an outsider, it makes their art seem very shallow with nothing to contribute but petty arguments and behavior.

Regards
Brian King

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Heisaa wrote
“Thank you for your kind words”

You are welcome but it us staying home safe and sound not having to fight in our streets that should be everyday thanking those that are serving.

“I prefer sending them for a box of grid squares or self inserting IV solution”

LOL I had used the map grids before but self inserting IV solution is funny, does that come in Vodka flavored?

“I do assure you just as I have that we have said is true - it is just that not all lineages are out in the open and some families do have their "black sheep." I think when you look and see everything else that has been accomplished you really have to ask why he would feel the need to make something up. And I can name some names of friends of the family that have left Bujinkan who have trained with Hatsumi Sensei that know and respect my husband and consider him the real deal. Try Shidoshi Infante the Florida rep for Ninjutsu International Federation then. Besides that I will give no information that his Shidoshi is not willing to give - if he wishes peace, he wishes peace.”

Blah blah nlah I do not really give a fat rats behind bluntly. All this linage stuff, making claims then claiming privacy, assuming the greatness of a teacher cause one trained with the teacher, claiming student of this teacher weak cause the teacher is weak and all the other ego driven, financially motivated, delusional caltrop is as annoying as it is amusing.

“Honestly one of the things he is looking to do is continue training and get more "paper" from someone that doesn't mind being public”

I guess a search for paper is what some get satisfaction from. I would advise seek good quality training rather than seeking acceptance from some paper hanging.

“However, I have feeling that if it is not "kan" it still will not be good enough for some of you. Oh well, we know the truth. I understand the long distance thing. However, if the one that started this feels he is superior the invitation still remains.”

Whatever. It still seems more silly ninjer stuff. The poking with the stick and getting in the last word may be a stereotypical women thing but that doesn’t mean you have to try to live up to the stereotype. Answer the questions to your best ability if others are not satisfied with your answers so be it. Let it drop and move on. Let your art and your contributions to other threads do your talking boasting and defending. Learning when to fight and when to let others talk is not just for the street.

Good luck
Brian King