Martial arts when your stressed out

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There have been many times when life has stressed me out, only to make it to the dojo for class, and lose it all, during the workout. Martial arts is a great stress relief.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Same for me. MA is the outlet that keeps me from exploding. When life gets you down, nothing cheers me up like a good MA workout.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Its the main reason why I love Tai Chi. When I start gettign stressed out I run a simple 5 minute Tai Chi Chi Gung form, and I feel much better after that.It helps to remove Chi blockage for me.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is a great way to work off stress, but being too stressed out can impede your progress so always watch out for that.

Nothing makes me feel better after a long boring day of stress than to jump on the matt and and practice my technique.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not a very stressy person to begin with, but I've noticed that since I started MA again, the little annoyances in life don't get to me anymore.
It's not that they aren't there anymore, or that I wouldn't want things to be differently. It's just that I can't be bothered anymore to get worked up about things I have no influence on.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've found that MA is a great stress reliever. You can "paint" whomevers face you want on the target then just wail. This is good. But if the stress is exceptionally high, it can change from the hair of the dog that bit ya to just another hairy dog.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Martial arts are the primary reason I've stayed as relatively sane as I have. Physical, emotional and spiritual pain gets left in the dressing room and as soon as my foot hits the tatami my focus and energy is increased and improved.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The calm and focus required for practising a sword art means that my Iaido is an excellent antidote to the stresses of adult life.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
The calm and focus required for practising a sword art means that my Iaido is an excellent antidote to the stresses of adult life.

Good to know. I'd hate to think of someone hefting swords whilst distracted the stresses of the day.
:knight2:

Seriously, though, when I train, I have a particular responsibility to my partners. By necessity, I end up leaving the day's BS at the door.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is something the guys are Great at. If I am stressed there are certain guys in my classes whom I can go to and ask for help. If I tell them I am a bit upset and distracted they will start to play and be silly while we drill. It's tough to stay stressed when grappling with a 200 lbs pro kickboxer and he is talking like Donald Duck and quacking furiously when he makes a mistake. Or someone attacking you with their own warped versions of animal styles. ie Crazy Chocolate Banana Monkey Style. How can you still be stressed when you see how many people care for you?
lori

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Generally, I find classes help with stress....not all the time, but mostly.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There have been many times when life has stressed me out, only to make it to the dojo for class, and lose it all, during the workout. Martial arts is a great stress relief.
i agree. with out the MA's in my life i would have no friends or girlfriend. I take the "leave it at the door" saying to heart. when i walk in its all about my training and how to better it. Like ive said before I owe my instructor and the MA's my life, so it is only right that i devote my whole self to them when I step on the mat.

B

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
People differ. For some it's stress relief, for others it's just another stressor.

Me, I prefer a (lone) walk when stressed to a group activity like the martial arts.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is something the guys are Great at. If I am stressed there are certain guys in my classes whom I can go to and ask for help. If I tell them I am a bit upset and distracted they will start to play and be silly while we drill. It's tough to stay stressed when grappling with a 200 lbs pro kickboxer and he is talking like Donald Duck and quacking furiously when he makes a mistake. Or someone attacking you with their own warped versions of animal styles. ie Crazy Chocolate Banana Monkey Style. How can you still be stressed when you see how many people care for you?
lori

I hear you on that one. I've met quite a few life long friends who always know how to cheer me up when I'm not in a great mood. The best people I know are the ones who try to punch me in the face!

...I guess that would seem kinda strange to a non MA practitioner.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Entering the dojang creates a time apart, when the events and stresses of my life are shut away and I can concentrate on something else - this is a major source of stress relief for me - even though my desire to continue to improve is another, and different type, of stress for me! My training time is a constant in my life, a touchstone, a time to shut out the cares of my life and concentrate on myself.

Jaspthecat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
For me, my MA sessions are 2 hours of solice hidden away from the stresses of everything going on.

I might be exhausted after being beaten around the head in sparring, but I always come out of a class with a big smile on my face feeling totally relaxed.

I have to be careful on the drive home as I'm a little too relaxed but drive at a speed more akin to my pre workout / stressed state.