Dealing with many attackers

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You do what he did in the end.. a whole lot earlier than he did, you run.
Ofcourse it would be ideal if you dont walk into situations like that in the first place. So educating yourself on awareness/avoidance techniques are the only techniques you will want to train lol.

Every one of those kids needs to be locked up for a more serious crime than just assault/robbery etc i dont see why that couldnt be classed as a lot more than that.
When dogs do that we put them down...

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, to begin with You dont go anywere near the ground.
Then You get to fighting back.

I mean, of course if given the chance, You get out. But assuming that You can just willothewisp away is something I consider foolish.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Asian guy didn't fight back at all. I reckon if he had arced up and thrown his arms around he may have escaped earlier. No point in just taking a beating.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Now I'm in no way saying that this kind of behaviour was warranted, but it seems there's more to the story behind this, and that this was allegedly a revenge attack, based on a previous alleged 20 on 2 situation, which may in turn have been a revenge attack starting from a classroom bullying situation.

In my view the best form of long term self defence is not to escalate the situation by making revenge attacks. Involve the authorities sooner. I speak from personal experience, I've been attacked in this way, and anyone harbouring any fantasies about standing and fighting is deluding themselves - it's more a case of how many hits you can get in before you're on the ground getting booted / can run away. The best kind of training for this situation is in my opinion learning to cover your head and other vitals on the ground, getting up as soon as possible and learning to deliver single, effective knockout strikes with the hands.

Still, they are animals and deserve everything they get. If there are 7 of you delivering that kind of beating, and the guy walks away with a split lip and no serious injuries, you're pretty lame.

You can see that they've been watchin the UFC by the halfassed guillotine choke and guard attempts too. Pathetic. I wish the young asian a speedy recovery, and hope that he deals with the after effects better than I did. That's the part you can't train for.

kbarrett

Orange Belt
Reaction score
After seeing the "youtube" video I can say that there's really no easy answer, running away is alway's the best, but if you must fight find something around you which you can use as weapons as an equalizer to defend yourself with. With weapons in hand run separate them, so your facing fewer at one given time, and what every weapon you have just swing and don't hold anything back, and when the time is right run to safety, that's the best I can say, like I said there's no easy answer for anybody, movies make it look easy, but real-life is not the same as a movie. Ken

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I tend to travel in a group. An entourage if you will.
If caught alone, and confronted by a group, I heartily endorse screaming like a little girl and running like hell.
During my Black Belt test when sparring 3 on 1 (me) I ran to the corner of the room and was doing pretty good there, for a minute. Then, my sifu yelled "STOP!" and made me go into the center of the mat again...

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
there's always more to a video than what we see... but to say that this asian kid was beating up others and this was a revenge attack, i don't see anywhere in the video where this asian kid had any kind of defense or attack skill....

but I think, even if one doesn't want to learn "self-defense" or martial arts, at least people should be aware of their surrounding so as to avoid such situations as much as possible.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Multiple attacker tactics need to be drilled constantly and should involve the following IMO

1. Stacking (lining them up)
2. Racking (throwing them into each other)
3. Smacking (hit another person in the middle of doing a technique to another)
4. Wraping (tie them up with each other's limbs
100% committment to doing a technique to a person must be present if you cannot focus on the one guy in front of you how will you deal with the other 6? Moguir (changing heights) by geting low at times and going high at others can lead to confusion in the group.

Assuming fetal no kamae (ie just lying there and taking it) made me assume the guy had given up before the fight even began. He should have run from the start if he had no training and yelled for police.

Plus one needs to never be caught in the middle and always keep his or her eye, body, and mind moving. Because like a shark, if you stop, you will die.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
After seeing the "youtube" video I can say that there's really no easy answer, running away is alway's the best, but if you must fight find something around you which you can use as weapons as an equalizer to defend yourself with. With weapons in hand run separate them, so your facing fewer at one given time, and what every weapon you have just swing and don't hold anything back, and when the time is right run to safety, that's the best I can say, like I said there's no easy answer for anybody, movies make it look easy, but real-life is not the same as a movie. Ken
It also looks easy to Run Away, when that wont always be successful. There are Variables, Good Sir.

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Multiple attacker tactics need to be drilled constantly and should involve the following IMO

1. Stacking (lining them up)
2. Racking (throwing them into each other)
3. Smacking (hit another person in the middle of doing a technique to another)
4. Wraping (tie them up with each other's limbs
100% committment to doing a technique to a person must be present if you cannot focus on the one guy in front of you how will you deal with the other 6? Moguir (changing heights) by geting low at times and going high at others can lead to confusion in the group.

Assuming fetal no kamae (ie just lying there and taking it) made me assume the guy had given up before the fight even began. He should have run from the start if he had no training and yelled for police.

Plus one needs to never be caught in the middle and always keep his or her eye, body, and mind moving. Because like a shark, if you stop, you will die.

Those are all great ideas. What about defense against being thrown? The kid is picked up a couple of times and thrown into the ground a couple of times?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In this particular situation there are, in my opinion, (3) options you can take, once faced with this opposition.

(1) Fight back and really get ****** up.

(2) Do your best to make their hits less effective with cover ups. Although with # 2 it appeared these 7 or 8 punks couldn't hit that hard anyway, as demonstrated by the ineffective blind hits from behind, "losers".

(3) Survive long enough to see your way clear to do exactly what he did, "RUN like He**".

There is a lesson for this kid as well as for all of us here on MT.

(1) Be aware of your surrounding.

(2) Once you perceive a problem react much quicker then he did. " He's lucky they didn't have a handle on how to **** up someone real bad".

(3) Don't try to be a hero and stand your ground with so many, don't think that you can talk your way out of it, and don't think that your tormentors will feel sorry for you half way through their attack. Ain't going to happen, think the worst and above all, if the opening presents itself, get the he** out of there quickly.

kbarrett

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If your grabbed and thrown to the ground put your legs to work the best you can, kicking can be done standing or on the ground the same goes for striking a good striker can use his/her strikes from any position, but the same rule still applies find something you can use as a weapon and let it fly, don't hold back and you'll have to get mean real mean if your going to get away to safety whehter if defending yourself or your loved ones. Ken

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you have a chance, runaway. Another option is to grab one person and use him as a human shield and throw him in his companions, that would be a great distraction and gives you the chance to runaway. Trying the Jackie Chan and Jet Li stuff is a waste of time to do.

Here is a podcast from Iain Abernethy called Multiple Enemies:
http://www.iainabernethy.co.uk/content/multiple-enemies-podcast

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Other than what's been said about kicking and working to get up off the ground ASAP, when thrown I would also state that rolling offensively is very underutilized. You don't even need to make contact with anyone, its just a simple way to escape from weak holds or a situation where people are trying to strike you without hitting each other. If pinned to the ground squirm with your whole boyd to create space to move (imagine holding a toddler in place). When people are held down they tend to resist the direction their are being held to (i.e down on the ground) by pushing up. If they moved their limbs side to side in the form of a snow angle people can start to move and then you can move your body to a more adventageous position.

When it comes to being thrown or picked up off the ground, use the basic solidifying tactics. Think heavy thoughts, widen your base and drop your center of gravity to make it more difficult to be lifted. If you can grab ears, hair, the lips or any kind of loose flesh you can tear at. If you start ripping they should go to a defensive mindset and resist the udrge to ocntinue attacking for the moment giving you the opportunity to flee.

In an attack like this I would always assume I'd be at risk of serious bodily harm or death, and I'd be breaking some legs to be sure.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you have a chance, runaway. Another option is to grab one person and use him as a human shield and throw him in his companions, that would be a great distraction and gives you the chance to runaway. Trying the Jackie Chan and Jet Li stuff is a waste of time to do.

Here is a podcast from Iain Abernethy called Multiple Enemies:
http://www.iainabernethy.co.uk/content/multiple-enemies-podcast
And what if He doesnt like standing there not exploiting the fact that Your hands are busy trying to use Him as a shield?

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
And what if He doesnt like standing there not exploiting the fact that Your hands are busy trying to use Him as a shield?

You needed to be quick, and you need to incapacitate one attacker such as a kick in the groin. The key is don't go in between two attackers, go around to the outside and don't give your back to the attackers or else you are toast.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
You needed to be quick, and you need to incapacitate one attacker such as a kick in the groin. The key is don't go in between two attackers, go around to the outside and don't give your back to the attackers or else you are toast.
Not to worry - I know plenty of Group Tactics - But that detail was a bit lacking in the original description, as it sounded like you were suggesting just grabbing someone, and theyll just let you hold them up :)

Also, if You do go inbetween two, You can operate from there just fine. In fact, the outcome can be better. Its riskier though. Much riskier.

Latest Discussions