Daedo

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will be at the Canadian open next week. Will give a report!
Good luck to you and the kids.

We just worked out with the Daedo tonight and I really like the updated software. That is another thing I forgot to mention. Many times at tournaments they don't have the updated software or firmware. I know what we had in the dojang was not updated and once he updated the software and the hardware we did not have some of the issue we were having. The system now always connects, before we would lose connectivity to one or more hogus and have to reset things. Before the upgrade we did not get the power reading during the match. Now we see the power numbers for every kick. So if the system is set to score a point at a level or 25 let's say, we now see why a kick did not score, example good hit, nice noise but we now see that the kick was only a 22. So now we see that the hit was not hard enough.

So during your matches just watch the screen and when you see a point or don't see a point look at the number in the lower conners of each player just below the score. You will see a small number, that number is the power or impact output number. If you look to the upper left of the screen you will alse see a number that is the power setting needed to score a point.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Before the upgrade we did not get the power reading during the match. Now we see the power numbers for every kick. So if the system is set to score a point at a level or 25 let's say, we now see why a kick did not score, example good hit, nice noise but we now see that the kick was only a 22. So now we see that the hit was not hard enough.

So during your matches just watch the screen and when you see a point or don't see a point look at the number in the lower conners of each player just below the score. You will see a small number, that number is the power or impact output number. If you look to the upper left of the screen you will alse see a number that is the power setting needed to score a point.

You can see this happening if you watch the live ETU European Championships happening right now:

http://www.gbtaekwondo.tv/freestream

I'm watching Ring 2 full screen and you can see them in the bottom right of the screen.

Can't wait for Saturday to be there!!!

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
By the way, for those of you that aren't awake but want to know what it looks like out of interest...

$Screen Shot 2012-05-03 at 12.39.35.png

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck to you and the kids.

We just worked out with the Daedo tonight and I really like the updated software. That is another thing I forgot to mention. Many times at tournaments they don't have the updated software or firmware. I know what we had in the dojang was not updated and once he updated the software and the hardware we did not have some of the issue we were having. The system now always connects, before we would lose connectivity to one or more hogus and have to reset things. Before the upgrade we did not get the power reading during the match. Now we see the power numbers for every kick. So if the system is set to score a point at a level or 25 let's say, we now see why a kick did not score, example good hit, nice noise but we now see that the kick was only a 22. So now we see that the hit was not hard enough.

Thanks for the information ATC. I like the idea that the spectator can see what is required to score and can therefore quickly see why a kick didnt score.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
By the way, for those of you that aren't awake but want to know what it looks like out of interest...

View attachment 16355
Yep. Power set to 38 (that is blasting - we use 40 in the Dojang for adults) and you can see that red's last hit was only a 22 and blue's last hit was only a 32. Both hits most likely made a pretty good pop but was not enough to score.

Thanks Andy for the photo and the streaming link.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Now that is a true statement. And all because his kid was not winning.

Brilliant guy....interesting motivation...It gives you an idea of the type of fighter his son may have been probably very technical.. His partners style probably crept in also...

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Brilliant guy....interesting motivation...It gives you an idea of the type of fighter his son may have been probably very technical.. His partners style probably crept in also...

Who had the ITF backround. Mr. Song who's in the video? Could he have been looking at his son's game with an ITF view?

Last edited:

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Who had the ITF backround. Mr. Song who's in the video? Could he have been looking at his son's game with an ITF view?

ATC, The more I look into this the more puzzled I'm getting about what you heard the Truescore folks saying in your dojang.

After doing a little research I've found the other two people who helped Jin Song to develop the Truescore System. They are Ed Chi, who was a research scientist in Palo Alto and active Kukki taekwondoin at Stanford University's taekwondo program, and Ed Corbin, a colleague of Song at a company known as Impact Measurement in San Jose, Calif. Check out Chi's bio here: http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~echi/biography.html. I haven't found any info on Corbin yet.

In 2004 Jin Song, Ed Chi and Corbin published this research paper
( http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~echi/papers/2004-UIST/2004-UIST-SensorHogu.pdf ) about the the early development of the Truescore system. There's no indication anywhere that the ITF style or karate was ever considered in development of the hogu. The early research, according to the paper, relied soley on WTF style sparring rules and style.

Kevin McCullough, vice president at Truescore, was one of the sparring participants in the early research, which was done at Stanford. He's in the video you posted and was at the time of the early research on the USTU national team. The other participants in the early research were: Chris Ariagos, a US Collegiate Champion, and Akiko Rod, 93 National Finweight Champion, 95 Olympic Festival Medalist, and 98 US Collegiate Silver Medalist. As well as James Song (Jin Song's son), 2000 National Junior Olympic Silver Medalist, and 1999 and 2000 California Junior Olympic Gold Medalist.

I have so far not found anything that suggests Jin Song, the chief engineer, ever practiced taekwondo, leave alone in the ITF style.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
ATC, The more I look into this the more puzzled I'm getting about what you heard the Truescore folks saying in your dojang.

After doing a little research I've found the other two people who helped Jin Song to develop the Truescore System. They are Ed Chi, who was a research scientist in Palo Alto and active Kukki taekwondoin at Stanford University's taekwondo program, and Ed Corbin, a colleague of Song at a company known as Impact Measurement in San Jose, Calif. Check out Chi's bio here: http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~echi/biography.html. I haven't found any info on Corbin yet.

In 2004 Jin Song, Ed Chi and Corbin published this research paper
( http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~echi/papers/2004-UIST/2004-UIST-SensorHogu.pdf ) about the the early development of the Truescore system. There's no indication anywhere that the ITF style or karate was ever considered in development of the hogu. The early research, according to the paper, relied soley on WTF style sparring rules and style.

Kevin McCullough, vice president at Truescore, was one of the sparring participants in the early research, which was done at Stanford. He's in the video you posted and was at the time of the early research on the USTU national team. The other participants in the early research were: Chris Ariagos, a US Collegiate Champion, and Akiko Rod, 93 National Finweight Champion, 95 Olympic Festival Medalist, and 98 US Collegiate Silver Medalist. As well as James Song (Jin Song's son), 2000 National Junior Olympic Silver Medalist, and 1999 and 2000 California Junior Olympic Gold Medalist.

I have so far not found anything that suggests Jin Song, the chief engineer, ever practiced taekwondo, leave alone in the ITF style.
Just posted what was told to me in conversation with Mr. Song himself. I was never told anything about his son and first heard of his son and the idea to develop the hogu from the video. It was brought up with the rest of the explination when I asked about the issue of the snappy kick vs. the pure power kick and scoring. If you get them to come out to your state event maybe you can inquire some more.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do think that Daedo/Truescore could do with some design input on their display though. Compared to modern sports programmes on TV, the graphics used on their display are very 80s...

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep. Power set to 38 (that is blasting - we use 40 in the Dojang for adults) and you can see that red's last hit was only a 22 and blue's last hit was only a 32. Both hits most likely made a pretty good pop but was not enough to score.

You can see all the Daedo HitLevels in use at the Euros here - http://www.etutaekwondo.org/docs/DAEDO_PSS_HITLEVEL2012.pdf

38 is as high as they are going.

Thanks Andy for the photo and the streaming link.

You're welcome :)

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can see all the Daedo HitLevels in use at the Euros here - http://www.etutaekwondo.org/docs/DAEDO_PSS_HITLEVEL2012.pdf

38 is as high as they are going.
I like how they do the power levels also. On the sensor that they put into the hogu there is a switch that put the sensor in child mode or adult mode. So a 25 child mode power level is not the same as an adult 25 power level. So you may see the levels close for each Child vs. Adult, but they are not equal.

Latest Discussions