Craziest Price Quote From A School?

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I get off the easiest. I train 2x a week for 50 a month. I train in tae kwon do and hapkido. For belt tests they range from 40 and 120. 120 is for the dan test.

At my friends school they charge 100 a month, have a three year contract and belt tests are 50-350. 350 is the dan test obviously. They make a killing on test fees. they have a stripe in between solids. Like white, yellow, yellow with green stripe, green, green with blue stripe etc etc.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our school is in an upper middle class area and we charge 50 dollars a month. You have the possibity to train for up to 6 hours a week. And over four weeks that is 24 hours. So thats about 2 dollars an hour. I have a frein...well, I know a girl, who trains at a TK...TS... well a school of Korean martial arts. And she is charged 80 dollars a month to train for about 8 hours a month. In a lower middle class area.
When I told her our price and training hours her jaw dropped. And then she asked about the quality of our school. Then she got mad. And if anyone is wondering, yes her school is a mcdojang amongst mcdojangs. But I didn't tell her that.
Anouther bad one is hundred dollars a month for eight hours. Anouther REALLY bad school. And there are storys at both schools. Neither is no were near 1800 dollars, but I felt like telling those storys.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
matt.m said:
At my friends school they charge 100 a month, have a three year contract and belt tests are 50-350. 350 is the dan test obviously. They make a killing on test fees. they have a stripe in between solids. Like white, yellow, yellow with green stripe, green, green with blue stripe etc etc.

That's the ITF TKD belt system - white, white with yellow stripe, yellow, yellow with green stripe, green, green with blue stripe, blue, blue with red stripe, red, red with black stripe, black - we use it too. But our tests are $25 and the money goes into the class fund to buy things for the class, like focus pads and breaking materials, and the fee is reduced for anyone who can't afford it.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lawd the prices!
Sheesh!
I think it is time for me to pitch a show idea to A&E network. A REALITY show! Man wanders to different cities to take part is different martial arts schools. And on his way to different schools he meets people from MT who show him a technique to take with him on his journey.

May even do a season where he compares high price schools to low priced schools.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Last year I went by a "Karate" school that had just opend up. Price quoted to me was .......$2500/yr. + Belt fees, 2 nights a week 1-1/2 hrs. But you had to sign a ...... FIVE YEAR CONTRACT!!!!

I asked... if I decide this is not for me after a year, what happens...

He said the $$ still got paid!!!
I managed to leave with a straight face...

He was closed in 6 months........

The average aroud here is $95-125 / month

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is one for ya, I visited a school about trying a new style and was told I start as a white belt that was fine but the down payment was 1500.00 and 175.00 a month for two two hour classes a day. But he would lower the price if I would come by and do 6 TKD classes a week since I'm already a Master in that Art and he could expand his school by offerrring my teaching ability.

The most stupid thing about it ism , he knows I own and operate my own school.

What do you think about that.
terry

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Here is one for ya, I visited a school about trying a new style and was told I start as a white belt that was fine but the down payment was 1500.00 and 175.00 a month for two two hour classes a day. But he would lower the price if I would come by and do 6 TKD classes a week since I'm already a Master in that Art and he could expand his school by offerrring my teaching ability.

terry

Who was that? PM if you need to.

R. McLain

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rmclain said:
Who was that? PM if you need to.

R. McLain
He is an instructor over in bedford and teaches Tai Chi and San shou, hopefully I spelled that right, I'll PM his name and school info.
when I get to my school tonight.
Master McLain I'm trying to work out a time to come see you maybe next week during the Day if you have time.
Terry

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
terryl965 said:

terry

There is a rather large TDK (Semi-chain) school near me that use to ask for a 1-year contract for about $1200 and they absolutely guaranteed you a Black belt by the end of that year.

I am not sure if they still make that offer, but they are still around and very successful

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been told my school is way too expensive by other people. But I am learning good stuff, I get private lessons, and I can come to as many group classes as I want - and there are 14 a week. There are no other fees - belt testing is always free and private.

It's not the cheapest around but it's certainly the best.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I ve been trying to find a few schools to try out now that I have free time again, but it seems that the average price is $120 a month. I swear even the crappiest school out there, you know the one whose instructor had some formal instruction in something and came up with his own system wants this much even, and most of these schools dont even teach 3 times a week. Personally, I am pretty much torn between an $88 a month MMA program which seems real good and I could afford and Judo classes at $65. Though I am pulling for the MMA program I found, the Judo classes are not bad either, but wow with these kinds of prices I should have never gone to college, should have just been a martial arts instructor and retired early in life.

Latest Discussions