Conduct after a KO

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
After watching many videos on youtube, I've begun to wonder, how would you act if you KOed your opponent? I've seen these reactions...

1. Kneeling/Standing at attention on the sidelines while medical staff attend to the other person.
2. Jumping/Celebrating/Running around the ring while medical staff attend to the other person. The two contestants did shake hands at the end though.

I personally find #2 to be a bit disrespectful, I understand that it's a competition but I think one should at least make sure that your opponent is alright before the celebrating begins.

At my last tournament, my opponent and I both clocked each other in the head (enough to see spots of color/light) There was no KO, but afterwards we checked on each other to make sure our heads were still on straight and spent the time waiting in line for our medals to laugh about how the idea of "seeing stars in cartoons" was real. :lol:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was always tought and still teach my students to turn away from there opponet and go to there knees. This way you can be respectful to them as well as there coaches and trainers.

I personnally hate peole who show off when they do something. Have some class for you and your instructor.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on the circumstances. I'll forgive a little bit of celebration when the win is announced, especially in a kickboxing-MMA type event. Not the excessive crap I've seen too much of lately... Until the win is announced, they should be in a neutral corner, ready to continue if their opponent rises.

In a more traditional environment (which would include sport TKD), the competitor should go to a neutral corner and wait. A show of concern -- and contrition, if the contact was excessive for the event! -- is appropriate, subject to the rule/performance standards of the event.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know I feel bad when I bloody someone's nose or bust a lip. I would most likley just kneel and wait then afterwards apologize and commend them on a match well fought and let them know that maybe next time it would be me.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
For me? Taking at knee at his side and making sure he's ok. While I did come up through TKD and the turned around/on knees, my first concern is that my opponent is ok and I'm right there.

CCF8_Leverich_Nice_102409.jpg

Last fight, he went completely out to a standing RNC, I didn't leave his side until he was up and walking. That's just my thoughts on it.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Every situtions will be different....and KO someone...may produce different results each time too...

"Winning" .."been sucessful" ...da hole in one...in a contest it is fine!

On the streets? ....reaction may differ each time...

Aloha,. ...best to walk away ...and cheer when you get home safely..!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In most MMA fights I've seen that have ended in a KO, the winner may jump at first at seeing his opponent go down but thats in the split second of realising he's won, immediately he realises his opponent is out he comes across to him. In our shows certainly the ref asks everyone to move away as the medics will be in attending to the KOd fighter. Our medics are in in seconds literally the guy is knocked out, the cage door is opened and they are in. Usually the other fighter will wait quietly with his cornermen, if it looks as if it may take a while they are asked just to leave the cage but they will wait outside the cage. No one that I've seen has ever gloated or jumped up and down after he's realises the guy is out cold and they've only left the fighter because they've been asked to.
On our shows the medics will go back to the changing rooms to make sure the fighter is okay, the next fight won't start until the medics are back in attendance, they aren't rushed to deal with the KOd fighter. Everyone will wait until we are sure he's fine or is taken to hospital as a precaution.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me and my students, it depends on what type of competition it is or if it is in class. We don't have very many KOs in class, but they have happened. If it happens in class, the students know to clear away, so I and my nurses can help them out. And the students are very respectful, as we are there to help each other and learn.

In point competition, I have my students turn and kneel down. It is what is expected and so we follow those rules.

In knockdown or full-contact, I let my students do whatever they want as long as it is not degrading to the other guy/gal. My take on it is, they are trying to knock you out and you are trying to knock them out. If you knock them out and don't get knocked out, then you have every right to be happy and do a LITTLE celebrating.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a problem with over-celebrating in a few ways. But one is something I learned at a kickboxing gym where I trained. I trained with some great fighters who often won by KO. They often celebrated by a simple fist pump & a hug to their trainer. I once asked a pro at the gym, "why don't you do a back flip or something to celebrate?" He said, "Cuz we always want to make it look like we've been here & done that before. The win is all part of the plan."

They were always respectful to their opponents & the opposing corner. I think that went along way for them to gain respect from other gyms, too.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a problem with over-celebrating in a few ways. But one is something I learned at a kickboxing gym where I trained. I trained with some great fighters who often won by KO. They often celebrated by a simple fist pump & a hug to their trainer. I once asked a pro at the gym, "why don't you do a back flip or something to celebrate?" He said, "Cuz we always want to make it look like we've been here & done that before. The win is all part of the plan."

They were always respectful to their opponents & the opposing corner. I think that went along way for them to gain respect from other gyms, too.

I have always felt you should "act like you've been there before." In fact my favorite football player of all time, Marcus Allen (back when my Chiefs were good) said the exact same thing. After scoring a touchdown he just handed the ball back to the ref. I thought it made him look like a real pro. I know sometimes your emotions run away from you, but I think this should be the goal.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I keep waiting for one of the guys doing the backflips or other craziness to screw it up and blow out their ankle or crack their skull...

I can see the headline:
Billy Badass suffers career ending knee injury celebrating his win! Badass will be unable to defend his title...

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
For me? Taking at knee at his side and making sure he's ok. While I did come up through TKD and the turned around/on knees, my first concern is that my opponent is ok and I'm right there.

CCF8_Leverich_Nice_102409.jpg

Last fight, he went completely out to a standing RNC, I didn't leave his side until he was up and walking. That's just my thoughts on it.

You are a Gentlman.

It's not a street fight or War, no matter how intense it gets it is still asport and a contest of skills and wills.

I was turned off from MMA in the mid to late 90s by the Titio Ortiz trash talk act, it's guys like Randy Coture, Fedor and GSP that brought me back.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I keep waiting for one of the guys doing the backflips or other craziness to screw it up and blow out their ankle or crack their skull...

I can see the headline:
Billy Badass suffers career ending knee injury celebrating his win! Badass will be unable to defend his title...

I've seen guys expend tons of energy in their "ring walk"...dancing, doing flips in the ring. So they have nothing left for the fight! Walking to the ring very focused, & leaving the ring after a victory with gratitude makes sense to me.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen guys expend tons of energy in their "ring walk"...dancing, doing flips in the ring. So they have nothing left for the fight! Walking to the ring very focused, & leaving the ring after a victory with gratitude makes sense to me.
That'd be even funnier! "Billy Badass loses title when he's unable to answer the first bell because he broke his leg entering the ring..."

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Remember that SOME of the antics, back flips, jumping before the fight is mostly nervousness and bravado to abade fear. Before a match it can be an intimidation thing as well. Some of this is foolish im-mature coach & promoter driven, but is also an insecurity thing as well in many cases.

Someone who puts too much into their ring entrance has not done enough work for FIGHT PREP. Just my opinion. With the notable exception of a traditional Wai Kru/Ram Muay, that is different in my eyes, the Wai Kru/Ram Muay is not about ego or the chance to be the next badass badguy in the next big action flick.

Celebrating after a KO is different in my eyes, if you jump, pump your fist and yell YEAH! that's one thing. To bounce all over the ring/cage yelling, FU, climbing the ring/cage and only concerned about dawning a sponsors T-shirt or up holding a promoter, this is not sportsman-like.

The back flip in the ring/cage after is risky and showboating no doubt. If you pull off the back flip after, I can not believe you did it spontaneously from the excitement of the win. It was planned and trained.

If you break yourself in such an antic, lol, you deserved it.

Remember, this thread is about celebrating a KO, not just scoring in point fighting or injuring an opponent. Though I started in TSD MDK TKD and was instructed that if I bloodied, hurt w/ excessive force or injured an opponent, I was to turn and kneel waiting for the ref's or an instructors commands, this is not really relative to a KO I hope you see.

Olympic TKD is full contact, so a KO is possible, but I expect a TKD champ to hold to the same sportsmanship as I would all others. I do not care how excited you are over your win, you are still on the competition floor, as a competitor or champ, behave as one. When the event is over, you can jump and flip, and go crazy all you want, but in the arena, control yourself to a degree. Hopping out of celebration is one thing, but acting a fool is not acceptable even if you have just become World Champ.

"But he just won event so and so", and due excitement is understandable, but jumping like a mad man, climbing the ring/cage, shouting profanity, grabbing and slobbing on the Round Card Girl or girlfriend/fiansee etc.... is out of line, especially in still in the ring/cage or on the competition floor, in my opinion is grounds for some kind of repremand, by officals or an instructor.

I just dont like seeing the celebration turn into an ego driven "Now the sponorships, commercials, Vegas Shows coming to us" etc... which is more about superficial BS than celebrating a well won fight.

The NFL has banned endzone celebration dances to curb undue showboating and ego drive bravado, why would we not hold Fighters who fight to the Knock Out to any different standards?

I do not expect fighters to remain absolutely calm, but some winning antics verge on the "IN YOUR FACE" dance.

I hope my opinion is understood.

Latest Discussions