my idea

J

jkdhit

i always read in a lot of magazines, books, forums, etc about how to take down an opponent using pressure points, joint locks, power, speed, etc

but for a while now i've realized that even though many of these different ideas are effective, the most effective weapon is balance. i don't only mean our own balance but i'm referring to the balance of our opponent.

when we go into a combat situation, many may not realize it but our offensive maneuvers are to throw our opponent off balance while our defensive maneuvers are to keep ourselves in balance.

i'm an avid practitioner of tkd, jkd, and qigong; i have also practiced other styles but i've noticed balance is the main priority in all martial arts. when 2 boxers are in a ring, sure a powerful right hook might mean a knock out but so can a quick jab followed by a weak but quick uppercut or a weak but quick crossover. i've noticed that more pain is inflicted when your opponent is off balance.

so does anyone agree with me? :p

thesensei

Green Belt
Reaction score
Of course. The first thing I learned, and the first thing I teach is to "establish your base." All of the other things you mentioned are based on balance. To properly execute a takedown of any type, you must be in balance, while taking your opponent out of balance. Without proper balance, you won't have any power behind your strikes and blocks. That's why stance and foot maneuvers are so important!

On the requirement sheet that I give to my white belts who are studying for yellow, the theme is stated as "Learning to Walk." In other words, get the base down first! :asian:

Salute,
Jeremiah

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thesensei said:
Of course. The first thing I learned, and the first thing I teach is to "establish your baseJeremiah

That's how I do it too.."establishment your base' and "disrupt your oppoinents base"..Good basic rules..

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Many times people view locks, PP's, etc. as ineffective. Having the opp. off balance will certainly aid in applying these things. This is one of the main reasons why its key to continue to work and improve on our own footwork. If we can't maintain proper balance while attempting these locks or strikes, they will not be anywhere as effective as they could be.

Mike

Ubermint

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations, original poster. You've discovered judo and wrestling. Now go train in those.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not to sound to corny, but Mr. Miyagi had good advice in the original Karate Kid. "First learn stand, then learn fly".

OP
G

GRIM

This is well covered in "the clicnch" the goal is to shoot your hips controling your center of gravity (balance) while disrupting the opponents. it's the only way to get good repetitive strikes in like knees to the body and the head.

My personal favorite.

OP
J

jkdhit

i'm not necessarily talking about take downs but more on the amount of damage you do in a strike

andy

Green Belt
Reaction score
jkdhit, I have to agree.The differant systems i've experianced seem to lean toward the same theme.

Latest Discussions