Common expressions that are wrong....

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
No they asked the name because at the time people in Japan had no clue what Te later called karate was.
Because it was Chinese in origin, it was largely pooed upon until it had been properly militarized by the Empire.

Once they had their Borg way with 唐 fist, the assimilation was compete.

Same thing with jujutsu.

Racism sucks.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No they asked the name because at the time people in Japan had no clue what Te later called karate was.
Ah, I misunderstood the story, then. It seems obvious, though, the reason they didn't just go with "te" or "karate" when they got thinking about it, was they considered what they were doing was different from other areas of that art.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
"Boards don't hit back."

This is true but misleading. It implies that training breaking techniques isn't valuable because it doesn't include defensive techniques. Push-ups don't include defensive techniques either. Are push-ups without value?

Worse, this has become a mantra for those who wish to denigrate the training others do.

Will breaking teach you to fight? No. Breaking isn't for that. Breaking teaches body mechanics for the application of power, as well as providing the occasional psychological lift in terms of seeing just how powerful the human body can be, among other attributes.

No, boards (and bricks, etc) do not hit back. They're not supposed to. That's not what they are for.
Isaac Newton would like a word with you.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
ā€ you get what you giveā€ is one of the many versions of the golden rule, does this mean the golden rule is also a false premise?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
You get what you give isnā€™t true? I donā€™t buy that. I think the golden rule is pretty good advice, too.
In any case, I was actually making a Newtonian joke. Third law? Get what you give? You and @Gerry Seymour need to lighten up a bit. Re read it now that I explained my poor attempt at humor. Far too obtuse i guess.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Good advice is somewhat subjective, not unlike the many versions of the golden rule.
I would say good advice is more contextual than subjective.

In any case, I was actually making a Newtonian joke. Third law? Get what you give? You and @Gerry Seymour need to lighten up a bit. Re read it now that I explained my poor attempt at humor. Far too obtuse i guess.
There is nothing funnier than a joke explained. šŸ˜‚

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say good advice is more contextual than subjective.
I'd say it's both. Depends on the context, but also depends on the values of the person in question. An easy example is advice to not quit your job. If someone values money more that's good advice to them, if someone values free time and doesn't care about money, that's bad advice, even if all the context (job itself, happiness at work, and living/financial situation) are all the same.

But at the same time, if one of those is really bad-for instance work is making someone incredibly depressed/suicidal/they're being abused at the office, the advice to quit would be pretty universally good regardless of the individual's values.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'd say it's both. Depends on the context, but also depends on the values of the person in question. An easy example is advice to not quit your job. If someone values money more that's good advice to them, if someone values free time and doesn't care about money, that's bad advice, even if all the context (job itself, happiness at work, and living/financial situation) are all the same.

But at the same time, if one of those is really bad-for instance work is making someone incredibly depressed/suicidal/they're being abused at the office, the advice to quit would be pretty universally good regardless of the individual's values.
I can go with that.

But can we agree that @Wing Woo Gar's joke wasn't funny? I believe there's room for some consensus on that one. ;)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For the record, I got the joke immediately. Didn't laugh at it, but understood before you dissected it like a frog.