Cleaning

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know you all thought this was about cleaning the Dojaang/Dojo, but in reality it is about cleaning out your mind with all the negative people and such in our life. What do you do to make your mind pure abain for your traing.

Cleansing of the mind seems to be hard for me I'am sorry to say I just cannot leave some negatieve thing in my life out of my everyday training it is alway there. How do you set them aside and forget about them while cleansing the mind.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cleansing of the mind seems to be hard for me I'am sorry to say I just cannot leave some negatieve thing in my life out of my everyday training it is alway there. How do you set them aside and forget about them while cleansing the mind.

I wish I had some wisdom to impart here, Terry, but I'm like you; I brood about negative things and sometimes start my training—either at my dojang or my workouts at home—in that kind of low hollow state of mind we all hate to be in. What I find is that usually the training activity itself clears things out a bit, and often, afterward, whatever was troubling me earlier seems to have the sting taken out of it. But there seem to be two kinds of people, those who walk around with their victories foremost in their minds and those who can't take their eyes off their defeats, and for those of us who belong to the latter group, hard training itself seems to be the therapy of choice...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Terry for myself I rarely brood on negative things. I teach a system that I call IRT Person Power Growth&#8482; in conjunction with IRT Ritualization&#8482;. One of the things that is a key element to this is learning how to make decisions that are right for you and your family, etc. If you do this enough and make a practice of it regularly I have found that you have less negative thoughts and things keeping you back. Now it takes practice and training to do this but when I am down your way next month I would be happy to show you in person. Look at it in a similar way to how you handle your businesses and how you keep them steering in the right direction. You make decisions that will be best for the business and when you make enough of them the business thrives.
icon10.gif
Apply the same decision making to your personal life and family life and if you practice this enough then you will eventually have less negative thoughts. This works very well for myself and those that I teach it to.
icon14.gif

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I could actually cleanse my mind......:wink1:

I just tend to check any extra baggage at the dojo door.:)

I do the same with my job. Before I walk in it dosen't exist. The minute I walk out the same. It took me many years to develop this ability. My stress level and digestive ability have improved greatly ever since. Letting things eat away at you can be unhealthy.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use the meditation time at the beginning of class to clear my mind of the day, which really works for me. It's one of the reasons I like wearing a dobok - it helps set the time I am training or teaching aside from the rest of the day. Once class is over, even if I do start thinking about whatever it is again, it tends to have lightened up somewhat, for the time spent thinking about TKD. It's one of the things I enjoy most about training.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wish I had some wisdom to impart here, Terry, but I'm like you; I brood about negative things and sometimes start my training—either at my dojang or my workouts at home—in that kind of low hollow state of mind we all hate to be in. What I find is that usually the training activity itself clears things out a bit, and often, afterward, whatever was troubling me earlier seems to have the sting taken out of it. But there seem to be two kinds of people, those who walk around with their victories foremost in their minds and those who can't take their eyes off their defeats, and for those of us who belong to the latter group, hard training itself seems to be the therapy of choice...

What he said 100%. I struggle with this too, and it's often hard to get motivated to train or workout when you have *stuff* on your mind. But I find that when I do push myself to start it always helps.

Brian R. VanCise said:
Terry for myself I rarely brood on negative things. I teach a system that I call IRT Person Power Growth™ in conjunction with IRT Ritualization™. One of the things that is a key element to this is learning how to make decisions that are right for you and your family, etc. If you do this enough and make a practice of it regularly I have found that you have less negative thoughts and things keeping you back. Now it takes practice and training to do this but when I am down your way next month I would be happy to show you in person. Look at it in a similar way to how you handle your businesses and how you keep them steering in the right direction. You make decisions that will be best for the business and when you make enough of them the business thrives.
icon10.gif
Apply the same decision making to your personal life and family life and if you practice this enough then you will eventually have less negative thoughts. This works very well for myself and those that I teach it to.

That sounds fascinating. Can you tell us more?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jade I am currently in the process of writing this book! It is third on the book list. I just finished Cornerstone Lunging Techniques of Instinctive Response Training. (that will be available hopefully in a few months) The next book that is halfway written is The Instinctive Response of IRT! Finally we are into the last untitled book on IRT's Personal Power Growth and Ritualization. Let's just say that the info you are looking for will hopefully be available in about a year and a half to two years. Until then I will tease a little bit.
icon10.gif

In IRT's Personal Power Growth you learn to make choices that will allow you to feel and gather power to yourself. This power (good energy, good vibrations) is fantastic in allowing you to grow as a more complete and spiritual being. The more you repeat the process in general the more you grow and become a better human being. Like I said above I could talk on this for hours but eventaully when the book is written hopefully you will find it interesting enough to get one.
icon10.gif

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use training to clean my mind of junk and clutter. I mean it, I have to go to the TKD gym when I have had a sucky day.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, We treat cleaning of the mind as: Empty all your thoughts...be prepare for training and only on the training.

Leave you work,troubles, and other thoughts outside...before entering the training sessions. (you can pick them up on the way out!).

=========================

Why people do drugs, drink too much? ....simple...They do not like themselves....and that your unconcious mind ...is letting you do s suicide of yourself. Jail time is not enough to stop people....the emotions are stronger...

So for those who do not like yourself...money,fame,richness has nothing to do with who it is: Those who hate themselves!

How do you change that? Simple...start excepting what you are..who you are....and start saying " I like my self" everyday in the mirror.

You were born because two people made love...and you came from their genes.......Always make the best of what you have! ...Simile often...Stay forcus on the right things in your life........Aloha ( Phys 101)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do yoga twice a week and I go through hard training to make me forget about the negatives. I have my fair share of those people that I would love to ring the life out of, but I do breathing exercises from yoga and it makes everything better.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i use a concept called 'lag time'.

the idea is to be aware of the time lapsed between when you begin a self-destructive habit (like fixating on negative emotions) and when you realize you're doing it and thus become able to stop.

i've cured a few of those habits by working to reduce the lag time until it becomes habitual.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know you all thought this was about cleaning the Dojaang/Dojo, but in reality it is about cleaning out your mind with all the negative people and such in our life. What do you do to make your mind pure abain for your traing.

This is where the mind-body conection in martial art comes.

When you train, you must focus on the goals at hand. "Where are you striking, what are you blocking, what is your imaginary opponent(where training alone) doing?" Don't let anything else distract your attention...a noise, bumping into something/someone, etc. When training in a group class, don't worry about what the others are doing, just listen to the instruction and focus on yourself.

For the physical technique part, this is how you can start. But, this later spreads into other aspects of your life that require mental focus.

Here's a class procedure before class to help with your students:

- No visiting or talking before or during class -

1) Arrive early, get changed (if not already in uniform).

2) Clean the dojang. (5 minutes) Choose a small task, sweep, clean the glass, mop , etc.

3) Seated meditation (5-10 minutes) (Focus on your breathing and clear your mind). Eyes closed facing the wall during meditation.

4) If time remains before class, train quietly or stretch before class.

This is not the only method, but this method has been successful in our system for the past 39 years. We have mostly adults training, many of who are doctors, lawyers, etc., that have reported learning to apply this to their professional lives outside of the dojang.

R. McLain

Kage-Ronin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Good Question!

For me it's simple; execise. I find that physical exercise cleans out the cobwebs. (Running and weight lifting.)
I can't work out and be wrapped around the axle about a myriad of other stuff, it just doesn't work like that. I have to be focused on what I AM DOING, breathing, form, pace, etc., because if I am not - then I can seriously injure myself. In being focused on what I am doing the junk that clogs up my mind just goes away and sorts itself out.

Works for me anyway.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In Hawaii, when you enter someone home, you always take your shoes/slipper off before entering. This is the custom.

Some say when you leave your shoes outside...so does your work. Do not bring outside troubles/problems into the house.

When entering a Dojo...you do the same...leave the outside world- OUTSIDE before entering. Prepare your mind for learning and training.

..........Aloha

PS: Some people need a vacumn to the ears to suck out the negatives..
"We like using oreck!"

Drag'n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Before training Im often mumbling and grumbling about the negatives and stress of work. I have to force myself out the door tired and lethargic.
But once I get to the dojo I enter a different space.
I'm so focused on my training and my goals that there is simply no room for any other baggage.
I get home after training exhausted and sore but on an emotional high. The negatives are gone. Unless of course my wife nags me into a bad mood.:p

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I learned years ago how to let go of things, a Shaman I once knew taught me to meditate the negatives away and I can do it now in the space of a minute, I know that seems a bit quick but I have done it for years so I'm rather practised. It's a bit like opening a mental door and ushering them out. As we train in a gym, the class before us is "spinning" and they sweat rather a lot and leave drips on the floor (I know we always go "euwh" too), so the first few minutes are spent mopping this up with tissue under our trainers, I use this short time, and / or the time spent walking to the room to take myself into a space where nothing exists and let everything drain away. From that time until we do our final bow, nothing else exists, just the art.

I've got that good at it that sometimes my husband sees me walking to class and I stare blankly at him... causes a few inquiries.. :uhoh:

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry for myself I rarely brood on negative things. I teach a system that I call IRT Person Power Growth™ in conjunction with IRT Ritualization™. One of the things that is a key element to this is learning how to make decisions that are right for you and your family, etc. If you do this enough and make a practice of it regularly I have found that you have less negative thoughts and things keeping you back. Now it takes practice and training to do this but when I am down your way next month I would be happy to show you in person. Look at it in a similar way to how you handle your businesses and how you keep them steering in the right direction. You make decisions that will be best for the business and when you make enough of them the business thrives.
icon10.gif
icon14.gif

Great advice! I don't normally brood about negative things either, I normally have few if any negative thoughts that I carry into my training. Although, I do battle with motivation from time to time.

I don't have a program myself, but I look at life like my training, it is all about balance and tactics. Just as we train ourselves to be in a tactically superior position, and to make those decisions without malice, anger, and ego (for example), we can also apply those same principles to the confrontations of life. In life making balanced tactical decisions without greed, selfishness, anger and so forth will often put us in the right place at the right time without the associated negative thoughts of those decisions where other less than balanced decisions are made.

That is how I personally try to go through life.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me, training is the best medicine for stress, bad moods, negative thoughts, etc.

K' Evans

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Indeed, I have to admit that while I have my own problems and issues in life, I let it all go when I enter into my training field of thought. In fact, sometimes I wish I can stay in it longer so that I don't have to face the world.

I know of no system or method to wash away all other occupied annoying stressful thoughts, but when I am hitting the focus mitt or heavy bag, I do envision myself hitting away at the problems that plague my life. That somehow makes training all the more enjoyable.

Latest Discussions