Classes per week

hoshin

White Belt
Reaction score
Question for you.
How many classes does your students go to a week?
I ask this because 2 parents are trying to help me put some membership packages together:
Basic ( Bronze ) would be 2 classes a week
Silver would be 4 classes a week
Gold ( Competitors ) would be 8 classes a week 4TKD & 4 Sparring
over a six days Mon-Sat
I am thinking that 8 a week is a lot and students would burn out
What do you think?

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Maybe you could make the last one unlimited training, therefore no pressure to go to all 8 classes and it makes it feel freer.
Personally I'd love to go to 8 classes a week, I think I used to go for 13 hours, but a lot of that is teaching now.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most do 3 classes per week. Even our competition classes are only twice per week, until close to a tournament then they may be everyday 2 weeks prior. However you can be in a regular class and the competition class and 5 classes per week as regular classes are M-W-F and competition classes are Tues and Thrus. Then we may have them run on Sundays as well.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting.

Our school is open 6 days a week, twice we have an adult class in the morning. In theory I could train 8 times a week, but the instructor does not want to see us more than 3 times ;)

I like the flexibility in the program, I can come any day I want to, no need to call ahead or make plans. if something comes up I don't go and make up for it later. But we do have requirements before grading, which averages out to 2-3 classes a week.

That is one flat rate for everybody (even the kids) and how often you train is your thing.

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I train 3 days a week but now that Im going to competition in 3 weeks Im upping it to about 6 days a week for the next couple weeks...we will see after that if I stay at that level

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We are open six days a week and allow the students to come as much as they like. I believe people need more than three days a week to get good at anything, if it was baseball or some sport like that it would be five to six days a week.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our dojo is open 6 days a week. Beginners go on M W F and Sat. Advanced is Tues and Thurs. After class on Fri is open sparring for a couple of hours. We can also play after the regular classes on any given night if we want to. Everyone seems to like the open schedule.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Our dojo is open 6 days a week. Beginners go on M W F and Sat. Advanced is Tues and Thurs. After class on Fri is open sparring for a couple of hours. We can also play after the regular classes on any given night if we want to. Everyone seems to like the open schedule.

Why do the advanced students get less classes, I'd have thought they'd get more classes. Or is it because you have have more beginners/you're trying to attract more beginners?

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
The sound of a program like that would make me run as a student or parent. My favorite is one fee and unlimited classes.
Second favorite is two classes per week as basic program or unlimited classes as premiere or gold yada yada yada.
The two or three day works well in larger schools as you pre assign or pre choose as the customer, the days. The fewer hard core students then fill in both. Works really well.
In the end the schools I always felt a love for in my life were schools I just trained all the time and paid monthly dues. My best training that set the course for my life was my first school as a kid and not only could I also attend Judo/HKD/ and Kendo (I know they have Korean names now) but it was encouraged. Because of this I trained harder and more. Never would have happened under the multi program multi level systems.

Dave O.

Lord-Humongous

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At my dojang, we can go to as many classes as we like... I thought that was standard, but I guess not. I go 2 to 4 times per week depending on my availability.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
as a school owner have you ever heard of " too much of a good thing". If your dealing with children then I would limit it to no more then three. i have a active student base of 138. We started off with unlimited classes, then change to three per week. it didn't have anything to do with the amount of students, but rather parents were getting burned out driving thier kids to the school. Some were coming every day.I like to see people train alot but, too much of a good thing can burn anyone out. And if you think about it as an instructor, your dealing with the same group of students day after day. There come a time when you need a break also.( fresh faces)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
as a school owner have you ever heard of " too much of a good thing". If your dealing with children then I would limit it to no more then three. i have a active student base of 138. We started off with unlimited classes, then change to three per week. it didn't have anything to do with the amount of students, but rather parents were getting burned out driving thier kids to the school. Some were coming every day.I like to see people train alot but, too much of a good thing can burn anyone out. And if you think about it as an instructor, your dealing with the same group of students day after day. There come a time when you need a break also.( fresh faces)

actually, the kids burn out faster that way. had parents bring the kids evry day, only for the kids happily drop out once they got the chance (I think some parent's prefer it that way, get that 'phase' over with quickly)

many parents are not used to year round activity, they I guess it is taxing on them or a case of ADHD...

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I train 3 days a week but now that Im going to competition in 3 weeks Im upping it to about 6 days a week for the next couple weeks...we will see after that if I stay at that level

Are you training all 6 times in class though, or at home?

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do the advanced students get less classes, I'd have thought they'd get more classes. Or is it because you have have more beginners/you're trying to attract more beginners?

The Tues. Thurs. class is 2-2 1/2 hours long, whereas the beginners classes are 1 hour. Except on Fri. night, there's the beginners class then sparring for everyone. I've seen that last till ten or eleven o'clock.

kerc

White Belt
Reaction score
I go four times a week, one hour each day. When I get to move to the intermediate class, I can take both beginner and intermediate lessons if I want to do so.

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Our school does several types of memberships from 1 day a week to unlimited.

For the lower # of days a wk 1 or 2 days - you have to pay extra for
clinics and you can add a day and pay extra.

Our school also offers family discounts too if you have more than 2 family members join.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is like anything you get what you would like to have, a Mc Donald kinda like or Burger King. Not saying anything bad here just that it is becomming more about programs than training it seems.

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think school owners have had to adapt to the economic situation.
Membership is definitely down.

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I used to train 20 classes a week, and have always had asthma and I never burned out. I guess it's because I was dedicated and you would figure that anyone signing up for gold membership is gonna be pretty dedicated. I would still label it as unlimited class though, so it just sounds better.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We have always been at schools that are unlimited. We are coming up on our 11 year anniversary and I can still count on 1 hand how many days that the dojang has been open and we didn't get to at least 1 class, not withstanding injury keeping us out of class.

Latest Discussions