Circular punch

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've seen this in Taekwondo and it's called a ridge hand, though it doesn't seem to be as circular. The reason it's not used is due to the immense pain you feel when using this full force. We trained this on kick shields and a hot searing pain always shoots up your thumb, because it's almost impossible not to make contact with the first thumb join no matter how much you tuck it in

From what I see, the hits are slow, and use circular swinging motions to generate power which seems inefficient as personally, I'd find it easier to generate momentum by kicking off the ground; the only advantage I can see is that it's a very unorthodox motion, but doing this in the modern era of martial arts fighting and combat sports is begging for your opponent to weave underneath and shatter your liver.

Nevertheless, it looks like northern kung fu, and that is powerful stuff. I recognise this movement from here:
you can see the punches around 0:25
Ivan, I have used the ridge hand to break six boards horizontal. It is all about the structure of the hand and what you strike with. I have seen a lot of people try it will a loose hand hitting most or all below the index knuckle. Very painful. And pretty stupid/lack of teaching and/or practice.

D

Deleted member 39746

People may have written it but.

As for the ones i am intrested in, circular punches were deemed too risky to your hands so the main focus was on striaght punching and more Vertical fists. Plus its easier and more reliable to sock somone striaght in the front of their face as opposed to trying to time hitting their jaw and running the risk of glancing and putting all the force on one finger. At elast if you miss with the first you hit what ever with your whole fist properly. And some people have the view that natural fighters do this and trained do this but the viewpoint has been vice versaed many times. Similar to thrusts and cuts in sword.

But at the reverse end some ungloved systems historically (as far as i know)have liked to use circular punches so its probbly to the beholder. (sound arguments for both) cant really understimate a good hook to the jaw, it tends to be a pretty good angle to get the maximum leverage on it. And you cant really underestimate having a V fist put into your cheek.

Addendum: I just remmebered, i dont think i was ever taught a hook or uppercut in TKD, i picked it up from boxing or some that mixed in boxing/karate. Thats weird.

Last edited by a moderator:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Plus its easier and more reliable to sock somone striaght in the front of their face as opposed to trying to time hitting their jaw and running the risk of glancing and putting all the force on one finger.
If punches were women. A straight punch would be that woman who is blunt. She'll tell you how she feels right there in front of your face. A circular punch would be that woman that leads you in one direction while taking everything you own when you aren't looking.

If punches were men. A straight punch would be that man who will blunt. He'll say what's on his mind even if you feel uncomfortable about it. A circular punch would be that man that you think is harmless, but you later discover after waking up hours later that he was the guy that mug you in the dark ran.

Straight punches are simple in comparison to circular punches. Straight punches go straight to the target. Circular punches go straight to the target only after misleading you.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Diagonal cut = right hook punch + right leg horse back kick.

mhGs8Mz.gif

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ivan, I have used the ridge hand to break six boards horizontal. It is all about the structure of the hand and what you strike with. I have seen a lot of people try it will a loose hand hitting most or all below the index knuckle. Very painful. And pretty stupid/lack of teaching and/or practice.
Sounds quite badass to me, and it also sounds to me like we weren't taught it properly. The coaches in my club said themselves that they only teach it because it's in the curriculum, not because they expect us to apply it. But as I mentioned in another thread, my club was always lacklustre in teaching hand techniques. Most traditional hand techniques I know, such as spear hands and twin punches I taught myself because of this.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Clinch not necessary with that first clip.
Of course both A and B will hit into the thin air and that clinch will never happen if

- A throws a hook.
- B throws a hook.
- A changes hook into back fist.
- B "also" changes hook into back fist.

As long as you rotate your arm the same way as your opponent's arm is rotating, your opponent's arm will never be able to touch your arm.

If we call arm contact as "sticky hand", I will call this avoid arm contact as "un-sticky hand".

Latest Discussions