Cigarette smoking

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just curious but for you instructors what is your stance on your students smoking? Regular cigs, I mean.

Do you let your students smoke? Do you encourage them to stop? Do you feel differently if it's an adult versus a teenager or borderline adult teen (as in college?) If you encourage them to stop and they don't, are they punished since they're hindering their performance and not listening?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do instructors let them? It's non of their business if they smoke. A martial arts instructor is just that a martial arts instructor. They can't force you to do anything outside the club. Outside the club Sensai smith is just plain old mr smooth. Anyway smoking isn't illegal it's stupid but it's not illegal so really there's no reason why they should force you to stop.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious but for you instructors what is your stance on your students smoking? Regular cigs, I mean.

Do you let your students smoke? Do you encourage them to stop? Do you feel differently if it's an adult versus a teenager or borderline adult teen (as in college?) If you encourage them to stop and they don't, are they punished since they're hindering their performance and not listening?

There are two ways I can look at this:

1) It's not illegal, nor immoral (IMO), so I could stay out of it, entirely.

2) It's bad for them, so I could take an active role in trying to help them change the habit.

I can't see any circumstance in which the smoking, itself, would be reasonable cause to eject any student, regardless of age. Now, if I were teaching kids (which I don't), then part of my requirements for them to participate and progress would be for them to follow their family rules. If their parents said no smoking, but they kept doing it, there would be some repercussions in the dojo. This would also be true of those not keeping up on their schoolwork, skipping classes, and anything else that bears on their future and the correcting of which will build discipline.

Now, to the comment by @Kickboxer101 . If all I was doing was teaching a physical skill, I could take the stance you put forth. However, when working with kids I believe there's an inherent responsibility to help contribute to their overall development. This was true when I taught kids' MA classes, as well as when I coached kids' soccer teams. It's part of the role, IMO. Not all agree.

As for adults, I'd encourage them to drop the habit. I'd even be willing to do what I can to help them, including serving as an accountability partner. But there would be no repercussions, since they are of age to make their own decisions, and they make the family rules.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have helped one of my students to quit smoking. I told him that the pleasure to have clean air to go through his lung can be more rewarded than nicotine can give him. Instead of to drop an old habit, I encourage them to pick up a new habit - to have a clean lung.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know to be honest. I mean I don't think he would approve but at the same time I don't think he would try to stop us from doing it.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's interesting to consider how times have changed. My original Escrimsa teacher told stories of his early days as a teenager learning FMA in Stockton under some of the legendary figures in the art. Some of the old manongs at the school would sit off to the side smoking and would even offer him a cigarette! I heard similar stories about training in Hong Kong back in the 60s from my old Chinese sifu.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's interesting to consider how times have changed. My original Escrimsa teacher told stories of his early days as a teenager learning FMA in Stockton under some of the legendary figures in the art. Some of the old manongs at the school would sit off to the side smoking and would even offer him a cigarette! I heard similar stories about training in Hong Kong back in the 60s from my old Chinese sifu.

That sounds pretty accurate to me. Back then smoking didn't have the stigma it does now. I feel that it does deserve much of the stigma it gains but it doesn't bother me so long as people are respectful about it.

Most people offer me them only one time, once I say no the first time they never ask again.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Smoking is a great example of how social pressure can be far more effective than a legal prohibition.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Smoking is a great example of how social pressure can be far more effective than a legal prohibition.

I don't smoke cigarettes because many people will beat the **** out of me if even started.

Last edited:
OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't smoke cigarettes because many people will beat the **** out of me if even started.

That's what Febreeze and open windows are for. Keeps the smell off and sensei is none the wiser ;)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Regarding the OP, I think it's none of anyone's business. It's legal for anyone 18 and over. It's pretty nasty, though, to roll with a guy whose gi smells like an ashtray.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't teach kids and it might change things if I did, but it's not up to me to "allow" or "forbid" my students of anything they may do when they aren't training. I wouldn't advise smoking cigarettes to anyone, but people have to (and get to) make their own choices.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Regarding the OP, I think it's none of anyone's business. It's legal for anyone 18 and over. It's pretty nasty, though, to roll with a guy whose gi smells like an ashtray.

Several people comment that my GI smells like snuggles fabric softener. People look forward to that.

OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Several people comment that my GI smells like snuggles fabric softener. People look forward to that.

I swear every time I roll with a particular coach all I smell is tide and chalk. Pleasant to concentrate on when you're smothered in gi and being flattened.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't "let" my students smoke or prevent them from doing so, because I don't have that sort of authority over them. I would discourage them from smoking, but if the immediate and long term effects (including the way they'll be feeling after a few rounds of sparring) don't deter them, then I don't imagine anything I can say would make much difference. At this point the health effects of smoking are not some hidden secret that only their wise sensei can alert them to.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm sure students did a lot of things I wouldn't approve of. Just as I did some things my instructors wouldn't approve of. I usually stayed out of their lives unless asked not to by someone of importance. Or if didn't approve of their outside behavior. Then they were entered into a behavioral re-education program.

But the only thing I hated more than a guy who smelt like an ashtray - was a guy who reeked of cologne. Once that cologne smell transfered to my gi, I went and showered and changed. - Then beat the snot out of him. But everyone knew that going in - DO NOT WEAR COLOGNE to the DOJO. Or any bling. Any bling worn with gi was confiscated. If you wore a wedding ring, you taped over it. No exceptions.

I know, couldn't get away with any of that now.

Latest Discussions