Christian Taekwondo

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of the other parishioners in my church is starting a physical fitness ministry using taekwondo as the main activity. He knows I am a MA instructor and has asked me for my help as he has no prior experience running a program.

Thoughts? I am generally opposed to mixing martial arts and religion, but I do believe the members of my church could benefit from another outlet to get physical exercise with perhaps some self-defense instruction. I would also be pained to decline to help a fellow church member in a sincere attempt to improve the lives of others.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like you, I have reservations about mixing my faith & MA. But I've realized that most of my concerns stem from what it might become at it's worst if it had the wrong teacher. Visions of a Christian TKD militia movement or some such thing come to mind. The reality is, if you have trust in the person running the program, it has the potential to be a great program.

To have a Bible study &/or prayer as part of a TKD class in a church setting can be a wonderful thing. For some in the church, it might be the only way to get them to exercise. For others, it might be the way to get them into a Bible study.

With you helping your friend with the MA part, & your minister helping with the faith part, I'm sure it will be an excellent program.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me there in no problem at all, one thing is the religion and other is the TKD/MA, you are going to teach TKD/MA not religion or the bible so go on and have a wonderful time.

Manny

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I know such thing is possible, but I don't know how to best tie in a bible study to a physical activity. Good luck with it.

Someone once told me of a Christian Yoga: http://praisemoves.com/

So surely a Christian TKD or bible study+TKD can be done.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have heard of Christians not taking part in the Martial Arts because they think that it is also about Buddhism, Hinduism, Satanism or any one of any other religions. By calling it "Christian TKD" they will attract the crowd who are scared off due to misconceptions about what a Martial Art is all about. The misconception usually stems from hearing about meditation taking place in the class and equating meditation with another religion.

I say "Go For It" but make sure that anybody who joins knows that it will be a mix of Martial Arts and Christianity just in case they have issues with it.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sounds like it has potential to be great.

One caveat, presuming your friend is called to do this as his ministry--do YOU feel called to do this? A rule of thumb for any ministry is that the people involved must truly have a calling for it. Not just roped in because they feel obligated or guilty. God will never guilt you into doing anything for Him. Remember, that if you are not called, but this ministry is meant to be, God will lead your friend to another person who is meant to be the TKD instructor.

With that, you have my prayers :)

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For me there in no problem at all, one thing is the religion and other is the TKD/MA, you are going to teach TKD/MA not religion or the bible so go on and have a wonderful time.

I have heard of Christians not taking part in the Martial Arts because they think that it is also about Buddhism, Hinduism, Satanism or any one of any other religions. By calling it "Christian TKD" they will attract the crowd who are scared off due to misconceptions about what a Martial Art is all about. The misconception usually stems from hearing about meditation taking place in the class and equating meditation with another religion.

I know such thing is possible, but I don't know how to best tie in a bible study to a physical activity. Good luck with it.

Someone once told me of a Christian Yoga: http://praisemoves.com/

So surely a Christian TKD or bible study+TKD can be done.

Thank you, gentlemen. To be clear, I am very sure there will be some type of mixing of Christian concepts and values directly into the physical practice of TKD somehow. The person who wants to start this is a lecturer in philosophy and the classics at a local private university, so he has the background to integrate the two worlds quite readily.

Those of you who practice the Palgwes or the Taegeuks...Imagine if the trigrams are replaced with some other symbolism taken from Christianity and taught with references to lessons from the Bible. Or if you do the Chang Hon patterns, what if they are renamed for people and events out of the Bible instead of Korean history and culture?

I myself don't necessarily think the altering of the forms in this way is necessarily a bad thing, but hopefully you might have a bit more insight into what "Christian Taekwondo" would mean in my particular situation.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds like it has potential to be great.

One caveat, presuming your friend is called to do this as his ministry--do YOU feel called to do this? A rule of thumb for any ministry is that the people involved must truly have a calling for it. Not just roped in because they feel obligated or guilty. God will never guilt you into doing anything for Him. Remember, that if you are not called, but this ministry is meant to be, God will lead your friend to another person who is meant to be the TKD instructor.

With that, you have my prayers :)

Thanks! This is a great point. And no, I don't particularly feel called or moved by the idea. I do feel a sense of obligation to help however since I have the skills to do so.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you, gentlemen. To be clear, I am very sure there will be some type of mixing of Christian concepts and values directly into the physical practice of TKD somehow. The person who wants to start this is a lecturer in philosophy and the classics at a local private university, so he has the background to integrate the two worlds quite readily.

Those of you who practice the Palgwes or the Taegeuks...Imagine if the trigrams are replaced with some other symbolism taken from Christianity and taught with references to lessons from the Bible. Or if you do the Chang Hon patterns, what if they are renamed for people and events out of the Bible instead of Korean history and culture?

I myself don't necessarily think the altering of the forms in this way is necessarily a bad thing, but hopefully you might have a bit more insight into what "Christian Taekwondo" would mean in my particular situation.

I don't feel it's necessary to replace the symbolism of the Pal Gwes or Tae Geuks with Christian symbols. I would teach both symbols together, because teaching them together takes the "mystery" out of the Korean symbolism.

Some interesting facts: The Chung Do Kwan first held classes in a Christian Church in Seoul when it started in 1944. GM Park, Hae Man (one of the designers of the Tae Geuks & Pal Gwes) is a Christian.

scottie

Green Belt
Reaction score
My school is a Christian based karate school. Everyone knows that coming in. I don't make anyone do any of the praying or bible study. I try to be a Christian example to all of my students and lead by example. I say kinda like my friend said if you feel lead to do it go for it. I would be more concerned about making sure the two of you agree on the Martial Part of it. Forms, Tech., ETC... I would not read as much about mixing Christ with the MA. Simply put if you are a Christian, you are a Christian Martial Artist.

Good luck if you need any help let me know.
Scottie:asian:

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with a Christian based (people wise) organization for people that train in Martial Arts. How to combine them, I do not know, with out super imposing them upon each other, which in my opinion will not work. The heritage of both will be shortchanged somehow.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
An interesting question as to whether something must be changed or even re-labeled to become Christian. Personally I don't think of activities as Christian so much as people. I think it is possible to engage in an activity with reverence or in a prayerful manner, and that makes it what I think you seek.

Are Christian church pews different from Jewish pews? Does a candle need to be called a prayer candle to be used as one?

I see potential both ways in the idea you discuss. Good luck with it, and please share what results.

Carl

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with a Christian based (people wise) organization for people that train in Martial Arts. How to combine them, I do not know, with out super imposing them upon each other, which in my opinion will not work. The heritage of both will be shortchanged somehow.

I agree, for me, when it's time to exercise, just exercise. no other thoughts or concerns, when it's time to pray, then pray. focus. they can be beneficial for each other though, but mixing it together, that will be a task. if it works out, hope you let us know.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This seems like an odd, and more importantly, an unnecessary mix of two very different things to me. It immediately reminded me of Hank Hill's quote about Christian Rock: "You people are not making Christianity any better, you're just making rock 'n' roll worse."

Personally, I think the two activities should be kept separate, and that the risk is real of twisting the teachings of both away from what you might want out of each individually.

I know people have done it, and I definitely know that these groups would not be for me. However, different strokes and all that. Best of luck no matter what you decide.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of these "martial arts ministries" that are popping up are for men only; women are excluded. Is this one of those ministries? Or does it exclude on some other uncomfortable boundary such as age or race?

Its up to you to do whatever you think is right. However, keep in mind you have a commitment to your current students. Probably most folks wouldn't care if you get involved in a ministry on your own time, however if I was a student that I heard my MA teacher was involved in something that excluded a certain gender/race/age, I would not be happy at all.

Step carefully.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A lot of these "martial arts ministries" that are popping up are for men only; women are excluded. Is this one of those ministries? Or does it exclude on some other uncomfortable boundary such as age or race?

I don't think there are any plans to exclude anyone, other than a relatively low age limit, somewhere around 8 or so. My parish like many others in the region is very diverse in race. The local bishop is Hispanic.

Its up to you to do whatever you think is right. However, keep in mind you have a commitment to your current students. Probably most folks wouldn't care if you get involved in a ministry on your own time, however if I was a student that I heard my MA teacher was involved in something that excluded a certain gender/race/age, I would not be happy at all.

Step carefully.

Not a factor at all but thanks for your thoughts! The time management point is well-taken.

ynnad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am a pastor and BB TKD. I teach a weekly fitness and martial arts class for men and women at my church. At this point they are separate just because they started separate but will probably combine into something a little more structured and formal where they advance through a curriculum. So far it has been wonderful. I have teens to seniors, in shape to couch potatoes. We do a mixture of traditional TKD, self defense, and cardio/strength. I have about 20 regulars total. We raised some funds and bought some mats. Every person involved would not have signed up at a commercial site. So, in that regard, I feel like I'm making a huge difference in their lives.

I tend to avoid the idea of "Christian" Martial Arts. There is nothing decidedly Christian about MA. What makes it Christian is the people involved and our attitudes toward each other. Sometimes I pray before we start, but don't do any sort of Bible study. In fact, I think that would kill it. People would see it as just a ploy to get them into Bible study. Also, whatever connections you tried to make would be stretched at best. Early on I did deal with the issue of Christianity and non-violence. My point is that confidence and training are a means to non-violence. Violence feeds off weakness. Moreover, the "turn the other cheek" command is exactly what we are doing. This was an aspect of honor/shame culture where a slap on the face was a sign of expressing superiority over another. To give it a contemporary application, if someone wants to belittle me, insult me, I will just absorb it in an act of humility to assure non-violent ends. I have no need to save face. I know where my identity lies and no bully can take that away. If someone wants to take my coat, my wallet, my pin number, I will gladly give them that and more if my life or my families life is at stake. What Jesus did not say is that if someone is violently attacking you or your family, you should stand there and let them.

What I have found is that people greatly appreciate it. Some older guys just like getting some physical activity, the young guys like to think they are in ninja training, the women like it for the "cardio kickboxing" feel to stay in shape.

I wish you all the best. Keep us updated.

Grace and Peace, :asian:

Danny

ynnad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This seems like an odd, and more importantly, an unnecessary mix of two very different things to me. It immediately reminded me of Hank Hill's quote about Christian Rock: "You people are not making Christianity any better, you're just making rock 'n' roll worse."

Maybe in the early days, but now we have Skillet, Switchfoot, Thousand Foot Krutch, Hawk Nelson...

These are legitimate mainstream bands.

Sorry for the highjack, but wanted to give a shout out to the good Christian Rock out there, It has been a blessing to a parent of teenagers.

Grace and Peace,

Danny

CrimsonPhoenix

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My instructors started their class in a church, and in my experience, I think having a Christian-based Tae Kwon Do class can be a good idea.

My instructors begin class with prayer and we learn verses. Other than that, they teach Tae Kwon Do. It works out really well and I enjoy it.

We don't incorporate a Bible study into class, but my instructors do let us know that if we have any questions about the Bible or God, then they would be happy to answer them.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My perspective is similar to others here -- if you want to do a martial arts class, so a martial arts class!

If you want to do a Bible study, do a Bible Study!

I do see the point of calling it a "Christian Martial Art," though, since I've had many conversations with Christians who are concerned that Eastern Martial Arts are tied to other religions, and they are concerned about that.

But to look at it from another perspective: Many Churches have softball teams, bowling teams, golf teams, etc. They don't go out of their way to make it "Christian Softball" where they feel the need to change terms, symbols, and rules to fit a "Christian Worldview" they just play softball trying to do it in a way that that's loving, respectful, and a good witness to others who are watching.

I don't see any need to push "Christian Martial Arts" beyond that.

Latest Discussions