Chris Benoit, family, found dead.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes I was saying as part of his autopsy the scan or an MRI should be done. Why leave open a possible cause without making sure considering the fact that it is know he had many head injuries.
Why condem a man till you have all the facts

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the "Why" is very important, especially if there was a medical reason for it. There's already a connection between concussions and destructive behavior. If they can find a reason, it may help stop future tragedies from occurring.

Personally, as a long time fan of both his and Nancy's, I'd like to know the answer, or as much as I can get of one.
Found this: CTE or chronic traumatic encephalopathy
http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nation/2007/06/chronic_traumat.html

"This is irreversible brain damage,” Omalu said. “It’s most likely caused by concussions "

"chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a condition evidenced by neurofibrillary tangles in the brain’s cortex, which can cause memory loss, depression and eventually Alzheimer’s disease-like dementia. “This is extremely abnormal in a 36-year-old,” Hamilton said. “If I didn’t know anything about this case and I looked at the slides, I would have asked, ‘Was this patient a boxer?’"

If this was the case, while it doesn't excuse his crime, it does explain how someone who is consistently being reported as a "good guy" could lose it and kill his family.

Former Pittsburgh Steelers offensive lineman Justin Strzelczyk, known for his friendly, banjo-playing spirit and gluttony for combat, died the morning of Sept. 30, 2004, when, during a 40-mile high-speed police chase in central New York, his pickup truck collided with a tractor-trailer and exploded, killing him instantly. CTE has been cited.

There is alot more reading on brain injuries at http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tbi/detail_tbi.htm
Which probably would be a good read period, considering the risk of head injuries we ourselves chance while sparing and training.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If doing a brain scan on this man can help someone else in the future and help avoid another tragedy such as this then do it, says I.

Chris Benoit was many things it seems to many different people. Whatever caused him to do this heinous crime is anyone's guess. One should not be too quick to judge another when one has never walked in that person's shoes. Suicide is not a chicken's way out, it is a cry for help and who knows how long Chris was crying for the help he obviously didn't receive.

My heart goes out to his wife and child for they must have been truly terrified in their last moments on this earth. That is something I would not ever wish on anyone. I hope all of the families involved can some day find peace of mind, I doubt, however, they ever will. They will always be plagued by the question of "why?"

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Found this: CTE or chronic traumatic encephalopathy
http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nation/2007/06/chronic_traumat.html

"This is irreversible brain damage,” Omalu said. “It’s most likely caused by concussions "

"chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a condition evidenced by neurofibrillary tangles in the brain’s cortex, which can cause memory loss, depression and eventually Alzheimer’s disease-like dementia. “This is extremely abnormal in a 36-year-old,” Hamilton said. “If I didn’t know anything about this case and I looked at the slides, I would have asked, ‘Was this patient a boxer?’"

If this was the case, while it doesn't excuse his crime, it does explain how someone who is consistently being reported as a "good guy" could lose it and kill his family.

Former Pittsburgh Steelers offensive lineman Justin Strzelczyk, known for his friendly, banjo-playing spirit and gluttony for combat, died the morning of Sept. 30, 2004, when, during a 40-mile high-speed police chase in central New York, his pickup truck collided with a tractor-trailer and exploded, killing him instantly. CTE has been cited.

There is alot more reading on brain injuries at http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tbi/detail_tbi.htm
Which probably would be a good read period, considering the risk of head injuries we ourselves chance while sparing and training.

I hope that they can find a way to let the pulic know what happened and how we can avoid these types of crimes in the future. May God Bless everyone involved.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think Wade Keller says it best:

"WK: In the end, Benoit acted out in a way it is inexcusable. Nobody is looking to "excuse" Benoit's actions. But understanding them can help everyone cope with this tragedy, and also perhaps learn enough that action can be taken or warning signs can be noticed so that anything resembling this might be avoided in the future. Nancy and Daniel were victims in the truest sense of the word, there is no doubt about that, and whatever attempts are made to understand Chris's actions should never be confused with equating him as a victim in the same sense as Daniel and Nancy."
http://www.pwtorch.com/artman/publish/article_20676.shtml

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Im no medical genius, but what can an MRI of a dead brain show that an actual physical exam at an autopsy cant? Doesnt there have to be electrical activity or blood flow in the vrain for those scans to be of any value. While we shouldnt judge till the facts are in lets not excuse this behavior either. On its face, binding and killing the woman, then killing a 7 yo child is heinous. We can backwards justify any action these days cant we? Any serial killer can be rationalized as an abused, mentally ill, "sick" person who couldnt control his actions. Its becoming way to convenient IMO. And all we really know of this guy is through-wait for it- PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING?!? This can go either way right now, but football players and hockey players get concussions all the time too and this "syndrome" hasnt produced a scene like this as far as I know. Perhaps concussions, combined with drugs/steroids, mental problems and maybe a plain old bad temper/attitude are all to blame.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Im no medical genius, but what can an MRI of a dead brain show that an actual physical exam at an autopsy cant?"

I don't know if the test involves an MRI or just a physical looksie at the brain. I'm not a doctor. But, I've watched enough CSI to know that sometimes, they just don't look for certain things unless they feel there is a reason. For something little known, why would they check?

While we shouldnt judge till the facts are in lets not excuse this behavior either. On its face, binding and killing the woman, then killing a 7 yo child is heinous.

I don't think anyone is trying to excuse it or deny it's a terrible thing.
We can backwards justify any action these days cant we? Any serial killer can be rationalized as an abused, mentally ill, "sick" person who couldnt control his actions. Its becoming way to convenient IMO.

So, it's perfectly normal for a sane and healthy person to wake up some morning and say "first coffee, then I'll kill the wife."? Again, understanding is not the same as condoning.

And all we really know of this guy is through-wait for it- PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING?!?
I base my comments on the words of long time coworkers, friends, and others with long standing relationships and interactions with the accused and his family. Unlike the moron-media who latches on to any convenient scapegoat (thank gods they didn't find a D&D rule book, or Ozzy Osborne cd at the scene). I'm also basing much of this on comments from trained professionals, and law enforcement involved in the ongoing (let us not forget that word there, on-going, meaning, it's still being investigated) investigation.

This can go either way right now, but football players and hockey players get concussions all the time too and this "syndrome" hasnt produced a scene like this as far as I know. Perhaps concussions, combined with drugs/steroids, mental problems and maybe a plain old bad temper/attitude are all to blame.

You missed this part:

Much of the research into this involves former NFL players. The person behind much of the research is a former pro-wrestler, whose career was cut short as a result of injuries, who is gaining respect amongst the medical profession with his research into head injuries. His push, has turned up verifiable issues in those who have received alot of head-brain damage over the years.

Benoit's finishing move was a diving headbutt...from the top turnbuckle. Now, after smashing your head into anothers (or faking it but still taking the deceleration impact on yourself) 4-5 times a week, for 20 years....how many minor concussions do you think he had? How many do you think he "toughed out" or ignored? Even at a conservative 1 per month....thats still 240 minor concussions. Much greater than the 3-5 the average person gets during their life.

Something in him snapped. People every day decry 'senseless' violence that happens 'without reason'. Sadly, too often, there is a reason, that makes sense. We just don't want to hear it. We want to point and say "Evil!", and avoid the messy answers.

The ones that would help explain how someone for 40+ years could be respected, and seen as a good man, could kill his family and take his own life.

I can't forgive, and I can't condone. But I can seek to understand.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, my theory is now being independently considered.

Possible reason for Benoit murder/suicide revealed (updated - again)
By Alex Marvez
http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/news/headlines/default.asp?aID=20024

Summary:
Chris met with his doctor on Friday, who prescribed testosterone to Benoit because of a low count being produced by his body.

Other details indicate that Nancy met with the same doctor the day before she died to get information about treating her son.

Nancy had also recently had neck surgery, and was struggling to cope with her own and her sons conditions.

Alex Marvez One question that can be posed is this: If Chris Benoit killed his wife stemming from a confrontation about Daniel, did he later kill his son because of concerns about who would take care of a needs child while he was in prison? While this doesn&#8217;t make Benoit&#8217;s actions any more justifiable, the scenario may shed some light on why Chris Benoit killed his son before taking his own life.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been thnking quite a bit about this tragedy and I have nothing to offer that everyone else hasn't said. I called a family meeting last night and told my wife and kids how much I love them and never would hurt them. I know it's corny but...

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Benoit Story (Updated): Animal tries to get message out on MSNBC about time off for wrestlers
By Wade Keller, Torch editor
Jun 27, 2007, 20:30

WK Analysis: Once again, another media story where the agenda is set ahead of time to pinpoint the involvement of steroids rather than look at the complexities that make this less than a simple story. The media, sadly, is proving WWE's defensive press release to be prophetic rather than pathetic - although WWE may have brought on themselves by being so defensive and flimsy with their rush-to-judgment discouraging steroids and roid rage to be part of the discussion of what triggered Chris Benoit.

Wrestler and wife argued over child care

By GREG BLUESTEIN, Associated Press Writer
ATLANTA - In the days before pro wrestler Chris Benoit killed his wife and child and hanged himself, the couple argued over whether he should stay home more to take care of their mentally retarded 7-year-old son, an attorney for the wrestling league said Wednesday.
ADVERTISEMENT

"I think it's fair to say that the subject of caring for that child was part of what made their relationship complicated and difficult, and it's something they were both constantly struggling with," said Jerry McDevitt, an attorney for World Wrestling Entertainment. "We do know it was a source of stress and consternation."

McDevitt said the wrestling organization learned from the couple's friends and relatives that the Benoits were struggling with where to send the boy to school since he had recently finished kindergarten.

He also said Benoit's wife didn't want him to quit wrestling, but she "wanted him to be at home more to care for the kid. She'd say she can't take care of him by herself when he was on the road."

The child suffered from a rare medical condition called Fragile X Syndrome, an inherited form of mental retardation often accompanied by autism, McDevitt said.
...more

BENOIT FAMILY TRAGEDY - Steroid use can rewire brain circuits, ramping up aggression, dialling down control
DATE: Jun 27, 18:05
By Helen Branswell

(This is an interesting article with some good info on what steriods are, and how they effect people.)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What were the Benoits dealing with that may have contributed to this tragedy?

First-Person: Understanding Fragile X and the HGH component that affected the Benoits
Those of you judging him should read this and see part of the stress he and his family were under. There have been other murder-suicides by families in similar stress situations.

Chris was making around $500k-700k per year as a top-draw wrestler. This required him to be on the road 300+ days a year to stay there. Once you stop all the road travel, you become a special attraction, which other than a few "big names" (ala Hulk Hogan) pays alot less. Treatment for his son's illness could exceed $300,000 a year. Add to that his own ongoing medical needs from 2 decades of high impact wrestling, and his wifes needs, and something snapped.

I can't at this time see this as a cold-calculated murderer. This isn't a Saddam or Odey here. I see a man who wanted to to do what was right for his family, seemingly run out of options, be torn as what to do, snap, then in a panic, snap some more before taking his own life, not out of cowardice, but as an act of attrition, and penance to end his own pain.

So morons like Bill O'Reily can focus on their scapegoat of steroids and ignore the mounting evidence of a deeper sad story. After all, for them sound bytes and ratings are all that counts. Me, I'll keep reading as this sad story continues to unfold, and I'll morn for the Benoits and their tragic end.

Madness and despair drive us all to depths we don't want to hit. Some of us, crack under the strain. None of this forgives this. None of it excuses it. None of it will ever say "Gee Chris, you flipped out, bound your wife, then strangled her to death as she laid there helpless begging for her life and choked you kid to death, but thats ok." It does none of that.

But it does shed the light that he was not a drug crazed cold calculating murderer as some would paint him.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Benoit&#8217;s son suffered from Fragile X Syndrome; speculation over whether pressure was too much
Written: June 27, 2007
http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/benoitpressures

BRET HART, WWE LAWYER JERRY MCDEVITT AND DA SCOTT BALLARD DISCUSS THE CHRIS BENOIT TRAGEDY WITH GRETA VAN SUSTEREN
by Dave Scherer @ 11:19:00 PM on 6/27/2007
http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=25171&p=1

WWE Wellness/Drug Testing Policy Detailed: Cover story of March 2006 PWTorch Newsletter
By Wade Keller, Torch editor
Jun 27, 2007, 15:36
http://www.pwtorch.com/artman/publish/article_20682.shtml

From the above:
Benoit's doctor also spoke with the AP. Excerpts:

"He was in my office on Friday to stop by just to see my staff," said Dr. Phil Astin of metro Atlanta. "He certainly didn't show any signs of any distress or rage or anything."

Astin, who said he was Benoit's longtime friend and physician, said he had prescribed testosterone to Benoit because he suffered from low amounts of the hormone. He said the condition likely originated from previous steroid use. He would not say what, if any, medications he prescribed the day of the meeting. "I'm still very surprised and shocked, especially with his child Daniel involved," said Astin. "He worshipped his child."

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BTW, Bill O'Reilly, is an ***.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,286935,00.html
It's all about the steroid. He's a wrestler, he must have been on them. Sure, you have no toxicology report, but they were found at the scene, so they must have been the cause. Nothing else could be right Bill? He was probably mixing them with his morning coffee in preparation for his weekend killing spree. You could of course pay attention to the DA, the Sheriff, and other in-the-know people, but that would be responsible journalism, and we can't have that.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Until we have a complete report of the toxicology tests, as well as the detailed exams, it's all still speculation.

The discussions, though, do bring up some very valid points. It's no secret that these guys push their bodies to the limits of physical breakdown, and often times, they're going to be using painkillers that make Ibuprofen or Naproxen Sodium look like candy bits. If anything, it's not surprising to see that many of them are hooked on the stronger painkillers (oxycontin, etc).

It doesn't get any easier as they get older, and Benoit wasn't exactly a spring chicken at the time of his death (40-ish). Bodies simply can't recover nearly as quickly, muscles tear more easily, bones break more easily, and your neck muscles can't absorb as much punishment, making concussions that much more likely.

Add to the fact that the WWE doesn't pay you if you're injured (from what I understand), and you're always under strong pressure to perform, even if you're better off taking a hiatus. While I may be heckled for saying this, at least the WCW took better care of their people.

On another note...

I actually met Benoit at an Atlanta area bar back in the 90's, and he seemed like a perfectly normal guy at the time. I even had a conversation with him, asking him if he was up for a title shot, and he simply chuckled and said "it's all about the politics."

To see him in today's light, has been quite disturbing, indeed.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At this point, none of us can say "he was a nice guy who snapped" any more than we can say "he was an evil child killer". When your opinion of a person is based on media, be it television or print, you dont really know what a person was like. While I respect the "dont rush to judgement" mentality, lets not be like those people who think they actually know celebrities or think that actually live the roles they play.

All the same, stress or not, a man who kills a 7 yo child isnt going to get much understanding from me. It may help explain his actions, but it wont make me sympathetic.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Until we have a complete report of the toxicology tests, as well as the detailed exams, it's all still speculation.

That's very true. But you know that speculation makes folks watch TV. I want to start a website called Schadenfraude.com (German for "shameful joy". It's the idea that we receive joy from the misfortune of others) That's a big business in media, today. We should call it what it is.

I'll get off my soapbox, now.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Article was updated from a PC in Conneticut, 14 hours before police were dispatched to the house. WWE has their HQ in CN, but the system wasn't traced to any WWE owned ones.

That is just strange. Did someone know...or was it just a crackpot being a smartass as happens alot on Wiki?

Good find. Thanks for sharing.

Latest Discussions