Chicken Kicks

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
625
Reaction score
20
What is the difference betwen a front chicken kick and an opposite chicken kick? What is a slicing chicken kick?

HKF
 

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
1,297
Reaction score
11
Location
SF Bay Area
hongkongfooey said:
What is the difference betwen a front chicken kick and an opposite chicken kick? What is a slicing chicken kick?

HKF

There's a lot of different chicken kicks: Front kick (snap kick) is a basic front kick to the head. Opposite kick I'm thinking is a reverse cresecent, where the leg swings up and hits the opposite side of the head (ala Billy Jack). There's also a chicken wheel kick. Slicing chicken I don't know. The slicing kick I know slices across the kneecap, striking with the blade of the foot. You could put it in a chicken kick and go to the throat.
 

still learning

Senior Master
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
3,749
Reaction score
43
Hello, What art calls kicks ....chicken kicks?

If have seen chicken fights....with the knife on the leg and they leap and kick to the other chicken....sometimes people are too close to the fight and gets a chicken kick.........Aloha
 

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
1,297
Reaction score
11
Location
SF Bay Area
still learning said:
Hello, What art calls kicks ....chicken kicks?

If have seen chicken fights....with the knife on the leg and they leap and kick to the other chicken....sometimes people are too close to the fight and gets a chicken kick.........Aloha

Yep. It starts with the back leg, is a distractor and also helps you gain height. The other leg does one of the basic ground (snap kick, wheel kick, reverse crescent, etc.). Like most jumping kicks, the goal is to get the hips to head level to increase the power of the kick. The first leg also distracts the opponent. It's in a number of kenpo systems.
 

Doc

Senior Master
Joined
May 12, 2002
Messages
4,234
Reaction score
176
Location
Southern California
jdinca said:
Yep. It starts with the back leg, is a distractor and also helps you gain height. The other leg does one of the basic ground (snap kick, wheel kick, reverse crescent, etc.). Like most jumping kicks, the goal is to get the hips to head level to increase the power of the kick. The first leg also distracts the opponent. It's in a number of kenpo systems.
The front "chicken kick" can be viable. All others are anatomically unsound and will ultmately cause injury to the user.
 

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2003
Messages
30,187
Reaction score
429
Location
Cromwell,CT
hongkongfooey said:
What is the difference betwen a front chicken kick

My take:

Left leg forward, right back. Rt. comes up as a distraction, and the kick is delivered with the front leg.


and an opposite chicken kick?

Same set up as before. Left comes up and kick is delivered with the rt.


What is a slicing chicken kick?

Sorry, never heard of it.

Mike
 

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Joined
Apr 16, 2002
Messages
10,329
Reaction score
45
Location
Somewhere Wild,Wonderful and Wicked
I absolutely refuse to subject myself to doing chicken Kicks.. and Kicking Set 2 in EPAK is front,back and sidel chicken kicks..

with a cage holding my lumbar spine together.. I'll leave that quite alone.

The only chicken kick I would attempt is the front.. and would only use it to the groin and knees.. none of this high stepping acrobatics for me ;)
 

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Joined
Apr 11, 2002
Messages
808
Reaction score
15
Location
Missoula, Montana
One our TKD BB's and myself attempted to perform Kicking Set 2 once. It's a TKD class in one set. Finish and repeat. Much fun. Even if we had no true idea what we were doing. Kicking is fun ;D
 
OP
hongkongfooey

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
625
Reaction score
20
MJS said:
My take:

Left leg forward, right back. Rt. comes up as a distraction, and the kick is delivered with the front leg.




Same set up as before. Left comes up and kick is delivered with the rt.




Sorry, never heard of it.

Mike


Hi MJS,

That is how I am being taught to do them. I still don't know what a slicing chicken kick is. It sounds like it would be pretty difficult to do.

HKF.
 
OP
hongkongfooey

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
625
Reaction score
20
KenpoTess said:
I absolutely refuse to subject myself to doing chicken Kicks.. and Kicking Set 2 in EPAK is front,back and sidel chicken kicks..

with a cage holding my lumbar spine together.. I'll leave that quite alone.

The only chicken kick I would attempt is the front.. and would only use it to the groin and knees.. none of this high stepping acrobatics for me ;)

Hi Tess,

I really don't like chicken kicks. Front isn't too bad, opposite is ok, side chicken, that just makes my knee hurt. I can understand why you perform the first side kick like a modified sweep, but I have bad knees, it is just painful. Now back chicken kicks make me feel like a retard when I do them. Who in their right mind is going to do a set of kicks like that?

HKF
 

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
1,297
Reaction score
11
Location
SF Bay Area
Doc said:
The front "chicken kick" can be viable. All others are anatomically unsound and will ultmately cause injury to the user.
My hip hurt plenty when I was learning the chicken wheel, until I was able to get my fat, lazy body to turn over before I threw the kick. Our system (I don't know if this is universal in kenpo) includes all of the TKD kicks, minus the axe kick. Something about striking down with a fully extended leg makes my hammy want to explode.

My current belt is 3rd degree brown. All 10 of my kicks have a combination of two of the following words: jump, spinning, flying. At 42 with a bad knee and a less that 100% back, they're causing me some issues. Fortunately, elevated kicks are not a prevalent part of our system and some latitude is given to us more "senior" students. I need to know them and I need to understand them because I'm going to need to teach them but as long as I make up the lack by being even better in the other areas of my training, I don't have to be perfect at them.

I don't plan on ever bringing my hips to the head level in an attack. I much prefer to bring the attacker's head down to my hip level.

I do think a hopping crescent or a jump spinning reverse crescent make a cool, emphatic ending to a Mass Attack though. :D
 

mantis

Master Black Belt
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
1,488
Reaction score
5
Location
SoCal
still learning said:
Hello, What art calls kicks ....chicken kicks?

If have seen chicken fights....with the knife on the leg and they leap and kick to the other chicken....sometimes people are too close to the fight and gets a chicken kick.........Aloha
Kabob-Do!
 
OP
hongkongfooey

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
625
Reaction score
20
jdinca said:
My hip hurt plenty when I was learning the chicken wheel, until I was able to get my fat, lazy body to turn over before I threw the kick. Our system (I don't know if this is universal in kenpo) includes all of the TKD kicks, minus the axe kick. Something about striking down with a fully extended leg makes my hammy want to explode.

My current belt is 3rd degree brown. All 10 of my kicks have a combination of two of the following words: jump, spinning, flying. At 42 with a bad knee and a less that 100% back, they're causing me some issues. Fortunately, elevated kicks are not a prevalent part of our system and some latitude is given to us more "senior" students. I need to know them and I need to understand them because I'm going to need to teach them but as long as I make up the lack by being even better in the other areas of my training, I don't have to be perfect at them.


I don't plan on ever bringing my hips to the head level in an attack. I much prefer to bring the attacker's head down to my hip level.

I do think a hopping crescent or a jump spinning reverse crescent make a cool, emphatic ending to a Mass Attack though. :D



We do the following kicks in my American Kenpo class.
Front kick- thrust, snap, chicken
Side- thrust, snap, slicing, chicken, spinning
Back kick- snap, thrust, chicken
Roundhouse
Hook kick- front leg, rear leg, spinning,
Opposite chicken
Axe
Crescent- inner and outward
Front scoop
Rear scoop

I believe that is it.

HKF
 

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
1,297
Reaction score
11
Location
SF Bay Area
hongkongfooey said:
We do the following kicks in my American Kenpo class.
Front kick- thrust, snap, chicken
Side- thrust, snap, slicing, chicken, spinning
Back kick- snap, thrust, chicken
Roundhouse
Hook kick- front leg, rear leg, spinning,
Opposite chicken
Axe
Crescent- inner and outward
Front scoop
Rear scoop

I believe that is it.

HKF

I think that's the making of an interesting thread. What kicks are taught in your system?
 

RichK

Green Belt
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
137
Reaction score
1
Great now I just drew a blank. There are certain times that I like the chicken kick, the blank part I drew was one of the techniques where the opp is bent over and you are in tight between his shoulder and hip, deliver a chicken kick with the knee and then with the second knee shoot out a side kick to the opposite knee.
 

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
1,297
Reaction score
11
Location
SF Bay Area
RichK said:
Great now I just drew a blank. There are certain times that I like the chicken kick, the blank part I drew was one of the techniques where the opp is bent over and you are in tight between his shoulder and hip, deliver a chicken kick with the knee and then with the second knee shoot out a side kick to the opposite knee.

Hmm, we've got a technique similar to that called Sumo. The attacker is bent over because you're holding his wrist and you've just delivered a hammer fist to the back of the elbow. The finish is a fading chicken kick with the left knee hitting the head and the right leg doing a snap kick to the head.
 
Top