Chicken Kick

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber
I don't think Mr. Parker would have apporved of any jumping multiple kicks at all! I have heard he didn't really approve of kicking above the waist either!
Ian.

Ian, take it from me, one who studied with Mr. Parker personally for many years. If he didn't approve of jumping multiple kicks at all........ why would he have them in "HIS" system? He was not so shallow to only include maneuvers that he personally liked or could do but included all that would be of value to many. Sure he tailored his Art to himself as do all the knowledgeable Kenpoists but that does not mean delete or "not approve" of possible maneuvers that some may use very effectively.

As to kicking above the waist....... he most certainly did!!! Of course he might have kicked them in the groin first or possibly knees to lower their height so as to make the head shot or torso kick easier........ but that has to do with experience and understanding what Ed Parker was all about.

Remember...... Don't believe anything you hear (To hear is to doubt), only half of what you see (To see is to be deceived)...... but to feel is to believe.

:asian:

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Your description of Courting the Tiger is right on. I do it the same in the ideal phase.

now for us old and non~aerialists..... there are a number of modifications that we can use..... we now enter the "what if phase" what if we can't (due to knee problems) follow an "ideal" example. LOL here is your ticket to modify for yourself..... but not have to change the "standard" which many others may benefit from. For me to make exact modification suggestions I need to watch you and determine what would be best for you. Soon you may be under the gun:rofl:

Dennis.. Oh good.. *does the non aerial snoopy happy dance* hehee. ..so I better be on my bestest behavior eh.. Hoping the under the gun means you're coming up soon :))
Can't wait~!!!
*gee wonder if they still have those springs you can attach to shoes that I had as a kid* they would give me 'bounce' without hurting these old knees~! !:boing1:

Psst.. what was that song you were singing on the phone the other night.. (hey you have a great voice btw..~!)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tess,
Where are you located geographically? We are neighbors I'd like to know. If there is an open seminar (possability) with Mr. C. I would like to know about it!!!!
Jason Farnsworth:D

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth

Tess,
Where are you located geographically? We are neighbors I'd like to know. If there is an open seminar (possability) with Mr. C. I would like to know about it!!!!
Jason Farnsworth:D

Jason,

Our School is in Shepherdstown, WV, we are in the eastern panhandle on the Va, Pa and Md borders, near Martinsburg WV, Winchester,Va, bout an hour from DC.
We are hoping to have Mr. C. come up early September if not before.. things are in the works for a seminar :) We also teach at Shepherd College and would like our students there to benefit
*hopefully Mr. C. can make it before then too !*

You're more than welcome if you're in our area to stop in at the school ~! Just let me know and I can send directions etc :)

Tess

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, so we have talked enough about chicken kicks. Just as a tease and encouraging word, Kicking Set #2 was introduced. Here are the first few moves.

KICKING SET 2

Opening: attention stance. Bow. Drop to a meditating Horse stance.

1. Have your right foot step back to 6:00 into a left neutral bow, facing 12:00.
2. Execute a front chicken kick (front leg then rear leg) to 12:00, and plant into a right neutral bow, facing 12:00.
3. Execute a front chicken kick (rear leg then front leg) to 12:00, and plant into a right neutral bow, facing 12:00.
4. Execute a back chicken kick (front leg then rear leg) to 6:00, and plant your left foot to 6:00 into a right neutral bow, facing 12:00.
5. Execute a back chicken kick (rear leg then front leg) to 6:00, and plant your right foot to 12:00 into a right neutral bow, facing 12:00.
6. Execute a front chicken kick (front leg then rear leg) to 12:00, and plant your left foot to 12:00 into a left neutral bow, facing 12:00.
7. Execute a front chicken kick (rear leg then front leg) to 12:00, and plant into a left neutral bow, facing 12:00.
8. Execute a back chicken kick (front leg then rear leg) to 6:00, and plant your right foot to 6:00 into a left neutral bow, facing 12:00.
9. Execute a back chicken kick (rear leg then front leg) to 12:00, and plant your left foot to 12:00 into a left neutral bow, facing 12:00.
10. Execute a side chicken kick to 3:00 (left thrusting sweep kick then right snapping knife-edge kick), and plant your right foot towards 12:00 into a right neutral bow, facing 12:00.
11. Execute a side chicken kick to 9:00 (right thrusting sweep kick then left snapping knife-edge kick), and plant your left foot towards 12:00 into a left neutral bow, facing 12:00.

So on and so forth. The kicks do not have to be high, but they do have to be done correctly if physically able. It is a fairly long set and lots of fun for kickers, 3 way kicks, scoops, combination kicks, etc. But near the end of a test, your legs sure feel heavy.

Play with these ideas and see what else occurs to you. This is where the idea of gauging range occurs in the set.

Oos,
-Michael
UKS-Texas

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wow, all this for a chicken kick. Imagine the number of pages we could fill if we were describe a 720 deg or a 540 deg tourny kick.

:D

Rob

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

As to kicking above the waist....... he most certainly did!!! Of course he might have kicked them in the groin first or possibly knees to lower their height so as to make the head shot or torso kick easier........ but that has to do with experience and understanding what Ed Parker was all about.

Remember...... Don't believe anything you hear (To hear is to doubt), only half of what you see (To see is to be deceived)...... but to feel is to believe.

Hmm, Phil told me that! Course I'm not old enough to have met with or trained with Mr. Parker, so I don't know what he did or didn't say.

I'd rather believe what you say though, you do seem considerably more knowledgable that Mr. Cawood (no harm in a bir of honesty is there? Well, unless he reads this and kicks the crap out of me when he sees me...!).

Ian.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just sharing my knowledge to those that wish to listen from one who actually did have the honor to study with "the man" and shared many, many hours with him all over the world. Take it as my responsibility to continue Kenpo as strongly as it should be even if it means a little correction here or there.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Take it as my responsibility to continue Kenpo as strongly as it should be even if it means a little correction here or there.

Please, correct away, whenever and wherever. Ignorance, contrary to popular belief, is not bliss!

Ian.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by KenpoTess

Jason,

Our School is in Shepherdstown, WV, we are in the eastern panhandle on the Va, Pa and Md borders, near Martinsburg WV, Winchester,Va, bout an hour from DC.
We are hoping to have Mr. C. come up early September if not before.. things are in the works for a seminar :) We also teach at Shepherd College and would like our students there to benefit
*hopefully Mr. C. can make it before then too !*

You're more than welcome if you're in our area to stop in at the school ~! Just let me know and I can send directions etc :)

Tess
Jason,
We're in the Eastern Pan-Handle (not the one with Wheeling, the other one), so we're across the state from where you are. What is the closest WV town to you? That will let me get a better idea of how far away you are.
Mike

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I live about 45 minutes directly north of columbus ohio. I was kind of hoping you were going to tell me you were in wheeling but that's the way it goes. It woujld have been a shorter drive. Please let me know if anything materializes.
Jason Farnsworth

Latest Discussions