Chicken Kick

OP
R

Ronin

If you guys hate chicken kicks wait till kicking set #2 roles around, ohhh mannnn!

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Having been in TKD for so long, chicken kicks are pretty easy to do and can you get some momentum into that kick......:p

:asian:

OP
F

FLY

:jediduel:
Although I don't do chicken kicks alot (when sparring), I will occasionaly do one to mix it up a bit. However, I like to make my second kick a roundhouse (a little more risky, but completely unexpected ;) )

FLY.

OP
D

daniel_r

Why is it called a chicken kick???? anyone ever seen a chicken do one of these :lol: :lol:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Actually the kick resembles the way a rooster fights in a cock fight.

OP
V

vincefuess

My brain has a strange way of connecting things sometimes. When I was a younger man and a lower belt, I pondered the chicken kick. Coming from a TKD background, it is a way to add momentum to your high front kick, as well as provide a feint- but in Kenpo it doesn't work that way (though it can).

I was in a barnyard one time, with an indefinable amount of adult beverages in my system, and I thought I would kick a chicken (don't ask me why- cuz I can't explain, except that I grew up in rural Texas). If you have ever been around chickens, you know that "just up and kicking" one is out of the question. They scatter from me faster than pretty girls. But one came close....

Just on a lark I tried the "chicken kick" maneuver at that bird- the left foot motion made the chicken do a 180 degree turn and made it hit the right kick head-on! POOF!! Whacked that sucker!!

Now, I HIGHLY DOUBT that has any relevance at all to the name OR the intent of that particular kick, but it worked!

(BTW the chicken was none the worse for wear- though I bet it wouldn't work on her again- them chickens is smart)

Vince

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by vincefuess

My brain has a strange way of connecting things sometimes. When I was a younger man and a lower belt, I pondered the chicken kick. Coming from a TKD background, it is a way to add momentum to your high front kick, as well as provide a feint- but in Kenpo it doesn't work that way (though it can).

I was in a barnyard one time, with an indefinable amount of adult beverages in my system, and I thought I would kick a chicken (don't ask me why- cuz I can't explain, except that I grew up in rural Texas). If you have ever been around chickens, you know that "just up and kicking" one is out of the question. They scatter from me faster than pretty girls. But one came close....

Just on a lark I tried the "chicken kick" maneuver at that bird- the left foot motion made the chicken do a 180 degree turn and made it hit the right kick head-on! POOF!! Whacked that sucker!!

Now, I HIGHLY DOUBT that has any relevance at all to the name OR the intent of that particular kick, but it worked!

(BTW the chicken was none the worse for wear- though I bet it wouldn't work on her again- them chickens is smart)

Vince

I would have paid to have seen that.:rofl: :rofl:

Michael

Judo_Kid

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know that Movie with Eddie Murphy. But i never seen the Chicken Kick. what the heck is a Chicken Kick.

:EG:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know I have the Chicken Kick AKA double front
kick in my bag of knowledge. I personally like
the kick.

As stated by others here, note only does it add
to the training and skill of the student it also
is good to mix things up.

I use it with both kicks, and I try to land both
with enough force to penetrate.

Now for Kirk, I believe, who said that he is big,
and has problems with this. I contend that this
is the perfect kick for him. One it will help you
develop balance and power, and two, no one will
really expect you to do this type of kick. :D

I am 6'3" and 265 lbs. and I do this kick and
enjoy it.

I did appreciate the history lesson for the chain
whip and the low sword attacks.

Thank you all

Rich
:cool:

OP
V

vincefuess

The chicken kick is effective in that the first kick (somehow) sets the dynamics in motion for the REAL (second) kick. Any body who has been in ANY martial art is familiar with this concept. I have yet to determine exactly how the dynamics work together to enhance the performance of the kick, but they do.

BUT- the first precursor kick cannot be (in my opinion) counted as an effective kick. It makes a TERRIFIC feint, but in my personal arsenal it will never be considered a kick. My kicks are finishing moves- I throw them when the path is clear and they are properly set up, and they are designed to end the conflict (or at the very least do very significant damage). Feet are not "tag" weapons in my arsenal, which is why a majority of those I practice for use are thrusting or TRUE spinning kicks which focus every bit of the centrifugal force into the target.

The "chicken start" as I call it can be applied to any frontal kick, the front and the roundhouse being the obvious choices, and I use it solely as a distraction from the real kick.

I love kicks. They are the nuclear warheads in my toolbox. Most conflicts though, are diffused with my "conventional" weapons- my hands. The kicks are saved until the time is right to pull out the BIG GUNS.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I look at the "chicken kick" for only 2 main purposes. The first being if your using the rear-forward chicken kick the first kick is nothing more than an exaggerated step designed to gauge your distance to the attacker. This kick may or may not hit or work. The second reason is used in application when your behind someone while their on the ground. Leaping crane for instance. I personally like not "love" after the elbow sandwhich to stand erect and do the forward-rear chicken. Now my forward rear chicken is a right front scoop to the groin (perfect allignment) and as I'm in the air a left front snap ball kick to the right kidney. Then left front crossover cover out. This works great for me.
Just my opinion but works awfully well for me.
Jason Farnsworth

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

But you're not grounded, if I understand correctly--I can see how the snap of the kick might penetrate and might hurt, but not how it could drive (that is, move) anyone anywhere. If the intention is to use it in part as a setup for a followup technique that depends on driving the person upwards then I would think it would be necessary to have one foot on the ground. Perhaps I'm just not visualizing it correctly.

I don't think the 2nd kick actually drives the body upwards. It is more of a reaction of the opponent. He stands up the same way he would bend over with a light groin kick. But, the kick can cause pain, so as the opponent stands up in reaction to the kick, he then reacts to the pain, which leads to other openings.

Dave

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think people are getting confused with the term 'drives'.
A thrusting kick will 'drive' an opponent regardless of whether they feel pain or not, the force of the kick will move them in a certain direction. That being said the second kick in the chicken kick is not a thrusting type motion therefore it doesn't drive anybody anywhere.

When a snapping kick is used it not so much drives as strikes and then the reaction you get you'd better be prepared for. At worst the reaction can catch you unprepared and cause you damage such as a head butt if your arm buckle in Lone kimono is on too much of a downward plane. At the next level you don't get hit with anything but your opponent's reaction has put them in a unfavourable position for you to follow up (if it is required of course). The third situation is that you expect the reaction and capitalize on it. We know if we kick somebody in the groin they are going to bend at the hips. If we kick them in the chest while they are in the process of bending over are they going to clutch their chest and fall on their face.......no they are going to hinge at the hips and straighten up provided your kick is to the upper chest/solar plexus area and not to the stomach area. As they straighten up use something on a downward direction utilizing borrowed force and gravitational marriage to maximize the effectiveness of your strike.

So....no the second front kick doesn't 'drive' the opponent anywhere, regardless the opponent will straighten up from the second front kick.

Thanks,
Rob

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

it got its name because it is funky..... any way you do it.. LOL
:rofl:

Thats just not right. A very Bad joke!:rofl:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
as a short rapid fire twin kick action. the first kick is short and sharp as a kick should be, however I don't "drive" forward.... rather just plant down and deliver the next kick immediately. Too many try to cover distance (intentionally or unintentionally) and that makes for a bad kick.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use chicken kicks a lot during sparring. The first motion works great as a fake, gets their guard down, and then you come around with a roundhouse kick, side kick or front kick with the other leg.

the roundhouse chicken kick has won me many a sparring match. when their hands are down trying to block a left front kick, you twist and land a right roundhouse kick (lightly) on the ear of their headgear.

Latest Discussions