Dealing with speed

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Ed Parker has an analogy that might help. The "appetizer, main course, and dessert" thing will help keep him at bay. It puts him on the defense for three beats instead of just one, and he can't attack you while defending. The Appetizer gets you in and the dessert gets you out. Let the "meal" be the intermission of safely controling the distance.
Sean (www.iemat.com)

Exactly! Do your best to keep the pressure on him, bring the fight to him. Of course this puts the onus on you to have the plan going in and coming out. Keep it up and you'll force him to change his method of fighting (which I'm assuming is primarily offensive); this course of action will help both of you to develop.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

OP
Mark L

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
lol...crap, you called me out les. I'll put something together that is useful and post tomorrow!

:asian:

Do that if you'd like, but I think I get it! Thanks to all, I'll be picking fights with this guy alot try and incorporate all your suggestions!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Les said:
You're dead right.

But you're not helping him much, are you?

Perhaps you could elaborate a little.
Well, you know Tulisan...he's a man of few words.

Good luck Mark L!

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mark L said:
I can't figure out how to deal with his speed. What can you do to neutralize an opponent who has a significant speed advantage?
SO many have said such good things. I wanted to really add, but my brothers here have already pointed to the moon for you...I'll just throw my .02 into the pool with their coins.

I understand your issue with this guy..I think. Try these on for size...

#1: Seek him out! Steel sharpens on steel, man sharpens upon other men. The surest way to improve yourself is to associate with and pit yourself against others who possess the qualities you want or want to surpass. In class work next to him. Observe. Interact with him in as many ways as possible. Remember that the flip side of the "Problem" coin reads "opportunity". Don't look at dealing with him and his speed as a "Problem", look at it as instruction...he's your 'speed' instructor. When I studied Tae Kwan Do years ago (I'm better now) I sought out the best kicker in the school and emulated him. He taught me not only how to kick well, but also how to deal with a good kicker. Your time with your classmate will not only teach you how to deal with someone's 'quickness'...but also teach you to be quick yourself.

#2: Psychology. Seems like maybe you are paying attention to the age difference and are somewhat awed by his ability. Psychologically speaking, you are setting up a self fulfilling prophecy. With this paradigm at the outset and being reinforced everytime you get together with him, you aren't doing yourself any favors. This sets up a negative anticipatory "clinch" in your mind, and where the mind goes...the body will follow. This anticipation will make you hesitate and tighten...both of which will only serve to make him seem faster and you slower!!! Relax mentally! Relax physically! ...then go in and enjoy the lesson. (For further understanding at what I'm getting at, I HIGHLY recomend you look this book up in a book store, online or a library. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...search05/102-6142351-2610512?v=glance&s=books check it out. It's gooooood.)

Just some thoughts!
Your Brother
John

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Well, you know Tulisan...he's a man of few words.

:boing2: :rofl: That was funny ;)

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you want the easy way out..Cover, Answer. Cover, Answer.

Either press him to the ropes and keep him there, or become one hell of a counter-tactician. Might try, as Jamie Matthews says, looking for the space between the notes, and going in there.

D.

Storm

Green Belt
Reaction score
You Can deal with speed. At 5ft 1 and close to the smallest (actually most likely the shortest) person in the adult class, Im not slow but I get slaughtered quite often by the bigger slower person when they catch me. I have the otherside of the problem where I maybe faster than the big guys but their reach causes me a problem.

I have disgussed this with others and they we came up with the conclusion that the only way for me to get a hit in, is to head straight for the target and risk a few hits on the way and stay inside of them as they cant work as well in so close. The only problem is I do get hit on the way, if its a good one it stops me for a few seconds.

My Instructors say I have the style of a Bully as I end up putting the larger people on the back foot, when their weight and size should have me travellng backwards. As soon as they click onto what I am doing, I get into trouble and end up retreating instead.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mark L said:
I just got back from class tonight and I'm baffled. After the instructional part of class we practiced semi-kumite for about 20 minutes followed by free sparring for 15. My partner is 17, has superior flexibility, and is faster than anyone I have ever seen. I'm 44 with pretty good hand speed and average legs, I just can't catch up with this kid. I have 40 lbs on him so when I get my hands on him and we go the ground he's mine, but I'm taking a beating getting there. Even worse, he's going to be man size pretty soon, I can feel a substantial difference in his power over the past year.

I can't figure out how to deal with his speed. If I close and try and jam, his hands are everywhere. If I stay out his legs are killing me. I wish I could convey how fast he kicks, it is quite humbling. To this point I've been able to take his shots and eventually get to him, but that's my size and strength advantage and willingness to absorb a beating to get my shots in. But that's going away pretty quickly. What can you do to neutralize an opponent who has a significant speed advantage?

We're the same rank, so we match up often. I like it and I hate it. The good part is I mostly tough it out until I can do something useful. Even better is when I'm matched with mere mortals, and can actually see and block the attacks before they land. How do you handle an opponent like this?

Don't get hung up on the age thing, our oldest member Brian is 54, and he can wipe the floor with pretty much anyone at the club if he's on form, including me at 32 years younger than him! In my opinion age experience wins out over age 9 times out of 10, just look at all these old masters you hear about who are 80 odd years old and yet seem untouchable :)

If he's faster than you you may have to use a bit of cunning instead - try a few feints or distraction techniques. If his hands are fast try a bit of trapping if you can manage it, that might help. A bit of Lee's 'broken rhythm' never goes amiss either to throw people off their usual form.

Sorry if that's no use, I could help you more in person if I could see you both spar!

Ian.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touche' Ian~!!

At 44 I have no fear of any of the younger, more fit Kenpoists. Age is irrelevant and if you psyche yourself into thinking just because someone is years younger that they are faster .. then start rethinking or order yourself a wheelchair ;)

:asian:
~Tess

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seig said:
Attack the limbs. IF he throws a kick, punch the ankle, if he throws a punch, hammer the forearm. In other words, make him really work for it.
That's the appetizer! :asian:
Sean

Latest Discussions