Chicken Kick

K

Kirk

Eddie Murphy once said (in reference to moon walking), "That's
just the dumbest dance! Cause I can't do it, that's why I think
it's stupid." So this might be the same case here. Bear in mind
I'm a BIG guy, and big guys don't take to jumping too much.

Have any of you ever had the (mis)opportunity to really use
that kick? I just seems like the dumbest kick. I can see the
effectiveness of all the others so far, (I'm a yellow belt) but
this one just baffles me.

I suspect maybe I'll be set straight about it on this thread, which
is cool, we need more "chatter" in here.

If I sound like I'm whining, that's cool too, but reply to the post
anyway, cause we need some chatter in here. I'm trying so
hard not to sensationalize for the sake of getting a discussion
going, so I'm totally resisting such topics as "Starving people
out in the streets, stray dog problem, the answer speaks
for itself".

By the way, did I mention that we need some chatter in here?

Aaaaa batter batter batter batter

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Chicken Kick,

Actually it sounds pretty lame, doesn't it? Why couldn't it be something like thundering legs or dance of the two feet, then it might fit better with the Kenpo curriculum :)

The chicken kick is basically a jumping front kick or bicycle type kick where the leg you kick with is the leg you jump off of. Incidently most styles only have the one kick in this technique but because we are Kenpo people and we can't resist compounding and inserting we have two kicks in this technique.

If you are kicking with your right leg you would raise your left knee, jump off of your right, quickly switch legs in mid-air, kick with your right and land on your left leg.....Now Kenpo stylists like to add (for this example) a left front kick. That is instead of just raising your left knee you throw a front kick with your left leg (since you have to raise your knee anyway it makes sense).

Now that everybody is on the same page (hopefully) we get to one of the applications of this type of kick. Attacker in front in horse stance, hands chambered (I know, I know, it's just for illustration). First kick would be a left front kick to the groin using the instep. As the attacker doubles over (every action has a reaction) you jump switch legs and contact with a right front kick to the solar plexus (upper chest) using the ball of the foot. Remember the oject of the kick isn't gaining height (in this example), try to think of it as a quick leg change or a jump switch on a different plane, just a little hop will do ya.

As the attacker's upper body is driven upwards by the second front kick you can choose some sort of downward hammering strike to use this reaction against the attacker. Finish with a short heel kick to the face or groin and cover out (sorry couldn't resist).

Like with any combination technique the whole is the sum of the parts.....

If your left front kick is not very good....this won't work for you
If your right front kick is not very good..this won't work for you
If your jumping front kick is not very good..this won't work for you

You have to be halfway proficient in the above techniques to use a chicken kick.

You can use this in sparring although you have to be more flexible since your target areas are generally higher. You can experiment with combining two different kicks. Left leg roundhouse (to get around a leg or block) into right leg front kick.

I hope this post hasn't bored anybody and gives Kirk some insight into the technique he had a question on.

Rob

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Robbo

As the attacker's upper body is driven upwards by the second front kick

Thanks for the detailed explanation for we non-kenpo people. I can't believe however that a jumping front kick could drive someone's body upwards?

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

Thanks for the detailed explanation for we non-kenpo people. I can't believe however that a jumping front kick could drive someone's body upwards?

You have to visualize the angle that the kick is acting on. If you did a jumping front kick on a upright person your angle of attack would be parallel to the floor and drive them back. When your attacker is bent over your angle of attack changes to be perpendicular to the floor (similiar to a upward groin kick). The kick's path of action is straight up.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Robbo
The kick's path of action is straight up.

But you're not grounded, if I understand correctly--I can see how the snap of the kick might penetrate and might hurt, but not how it could drive (that is, move) anyone anywhere. If the intention is to use it in part as a setup for a followup technique that depends on driving the person upwards then I would think it would be necessary to have one foot on the ground. Perhaps I'm just not visualizing it correctly.

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Every action has a reaction. Classic example is if someone kicks you in the groin it's a good bet you will bend over. If you are bent over and somebody uppercuts you in the face it's a good bet you will straighten up. I think where we are getting mixed up is that because the person is in the air you think there will be little or no penetration on the kick. There is enough power and penetration in this type of kick to straighten a person up. If that is not enough just think how fast a person's body reacts to the groin kick, you aren't waiting until they are already bent over before you throw the kick you are catching them in the act of bending over thus borrowing from their action (borrowed force) and compounding the power of the kick. If that doesn't make a person shoot straight back up then I don't know what will maybe just hit them on the back of the head at that point......with a brick :)

OP
R

Rob_Broad

The chicken has the ability do damage. But it is a kick that has limited uses. The mechanics of the kick are quite simple by kicking upward with the first kick you start the momentum usually the first kick is just a tap or it is the diversion. The second kick since it now has a longer path gains more momentum and more power. Many styles call this a scissor kick and it has been popular in movies because of its flashy look, it was even in the movie Footloose in the end fight scene and probably in Roadhouse as well. You often find it in any of the crane forms.

OP
R

Ronin

Never throw things away kirk just file it in your mental hard drive so to speak. This reminds me of a story Mr. Conatser told me often growing up. Remember that 64 box of crayola crayons as a kid? The one with the sharpener in the back of the box? Well the box contained several odd named and colored crayons. Like for example kiddingly, snot green or crap brown. These crayons may sit in the box while you constantly use the practical ones. Blue.red,green etc. However much like a kenpo move such as the chicken kick there may be that one time when you may have to use that crayon to create a masterpiece or in this case a kick against somebody. Its always better to have something and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
:D
Just wanted to point out the use of Reverse or even Roundhouse type chicken kicks too.
I have seen these used in sparring, and of course Two Man techniques and at other time just to close the gap!
And I have seen the chicken used in Begging Hands by a 125 pound woman totally knock back guys about 200 to 250 pounds. And boy did they grunt and groan while flying backwards, I think it is just great.
But like anything, there is a time and place to use it!
:barf:

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was taught the chicken kick I was told that it was a filler move to show category completion.

Any Thoughts?:asian:

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The chicken kick has never been a favorite of mine but I kinda like the chicken knee. Same principal just with knees in a closer application of course. And I like to end the last knee with a more rounded motion and scrape down one leg of the opponent as I'm planting my weight.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I was taught the chicken kick as a closing gap move. We would use it in conjunction with a strike, usually to the head.
For example, you would fire a palm heel strike up and under the jaw, but instead of using a push step or shuffle to close the gap you would use the chicken kicks, nice and low, and demolish his ankles.
If you take into consideration, the big 3, height , width and depth, the palm strike deals with height and depth, the chickens deal with width and depth.
Hope this helps.

--Dave

:asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo3631
When I was taught the chicken kick I was told that it was a filler move to show category completion.
Any Thoughts?:asian:

Who came up with this term catagory completion?

What catagory does it complet and why?

OP
R

Rob_Broad

It is a great kick for bridging the gap between you and an opponent. But remember when you leave the ground you might not land the way you intended if the target has anythig to say about it.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is a dangerous kick as all kinds of Ariel's (or jumping kicks) are if used for self defense purposes. Leaving the ground, compounds factors that could prove to be problems. Balance, power, landing etc can all be effected and have adverse results vs. staying on the ground in the first place.

As to skill development (coordination, conditioning, expansion etc) and developing ones abilities and drilling maneuvers Ariel's are difficult and quite an accomplishment. So in my humble opinion a good thing to add to skill development but file for rare usage on the street.

Historically the kick was initially utilized to avoid a low chain whip, low sword attacks, and sweeps, then instead of just jumping to avoid a low attack, if one could actually "attack" the attacker while avoiding the action all the better. Still other Ariel's were fashioned after "vaulting" over a rock or fence and kicking the opponent in the same action, then eventually used without the vault to form the flying side kick.

Being able to use your environment while defending yourself is always a plus, kicking or punching. See the 8 Considerations for the list.

The name came from watching two chickens fighting. Since they have no arms they leap and use their talons to strike or defend with. Thus the name "Chicken Kick".

I know you guys just love this Martial Art Trivia! LOL
Someday we can have a game show!

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

I know you guys just love this Martial Art Trivia! LOL
Someday we can have a game show!

I know I do! But I'd suck on a game show about it!

Kind of like Jeopardy. I think I'd do okay on the show, so
long as the board wasn't filled with Subjects like "Elizabeathan
Poetry", or "Hamlet" ... which always seems to be the case.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I have never kicked a chicken before, but I have turkey bowled.

For those that don't know Turkey bowling is a great supermarket game played by the staff after the store closes at night. You take 10 large plastcs pop bottles and set them up like bowling pins. next you take a frozen turkey (It has to be frozen!) the old butter ball one had a great handle and you bowl, the game ends when the store manager catches you.

OP
S

Slade

If you need to leave the ground then good luck. Remember that your target moves so the kick might just miss and your still in the air. That leaves you open for a nasty beaten.:(

Latest Discussions