Changing The Method

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, one simple question and please I am being serious here. How do you alter years of conditioning mentally to unconsciously switch to the palm, if like me you constantly strike with the fist. Perhaps this is why I find different methods uncontrollable, just keep going to that stance, and absorbing new stuff. I think this train of thought or whatever you would deem it. Point is that I am always reverting back if I do not understand a given new form or technique? Actually technique is what I am asking I guess. Any thoughts please :)

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I understand fully what you are saying. Weightlifting coaches often find it much easier to train an absolute novice than a proclaimed veteran in lifting weights. With novices, there are no bad habits to eliminate. They're a blank slate. A rugged muscle man who's been doing power-cleans the wrong way for years, on the other hand, is more challenging to coach.

Personally, I don't think there's a shortcut to it. You have to practice what you didn't learn for hundreds of hours.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand fully what you are saying. Weightlifting coaches often find it much easier to train an absolute novice than a proclaimed veteran in lifting weights. With novices, there are no bad habits to eliminate. They're a blank slate. A rugged muscle man who's been doing power-cleans the wrong way for years, on the other hand, is more challenging to coach.

Personally, I don't think there's a shortcut to it. You have to practice what you didn't learn for hundreds of hours.

Yes I can see that you can. Yeah shortcut :) I have no problem with regressing, but how much do you lose by doing so? That is more of a closed question, but still?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It will take a great amount of time and even then you will revert back to what you have previously trained in at odd moments. As was said the only way is to force yourself to practice with the palm

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes I can see that you can. Yeah shortcut :) I have no problem with regressing, but how much do you lose by doing so? That is more of a closed question, but still?

You will not lose anything if the things that you do complement each other. Having a big back squat will make you a champion in sports like powerlifting, weightlifting, and shot put. If your goal though, is to be both a world record holder in the squat and have the capability to jog for 20 miles without dying, you will die before you achieve your goal.

Karate and boxing, when combined, are a waste of time in my opinion since boxing teaches you how to swing while karate teaches you how to thrust. Boxing and western kickboxing, now that's different. :D

You have to choose your specialty.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

after a while you become familiar with both concepts. It is just because one is new.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Part of advancing to new levels is letting go of the old level. This is where our insecurities and low self esteem actually help us. We should always be trying to get better, or find new ways to be better. The world isn't getting any safer. :)

On a side note, when I fight left handed, I do Kenpo, when I fight right handed, I will show you TKD.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It helps to actually hit the people you train with. You don't want to lose students, and you don't want to be too unrealistic; so you task them to do techs against your heel palm, and you actually get to hit them if they mess it up. It is a win win situation! :smuggrin:

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It helps to actually hit the people you train with. You don't want to lose students, and you don't want to be too unrealistic; so you task them to do techs against your heel palm, and you actually get to hit them if they mess it up. It is a win win situation! :smuggrin:

Yeah tactile stuff does work I agree. Just a pain when you put time in, only to undo myself as it were.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its all transferable you can box open handed.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. What do you prefer, or not too fussed?

it depends what i am trying to do. I have absolutely smashed guys with open hand shots and i think the effect is less than if I had punched them. So if i am in a fight i will punch. Screw any potential damage to my hands i want this guy dropped. So. I don't receive damage to my head.

But if i need to hit a guy and i don't want them cut or damaged too bad i will open hand hit them. But that has almost dropped out of my methods these days as i don't strike at all unless i am in danger.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it depends what i am trying to do. I have absolutely smashed guys with open hand shots and i think the effect is less than if I had punched them. So if i am in a fight i will punch. Screw any potential damage to my hands i want this guy dropped. So. I don't receive damage to my head.

But if i need to hit a guy and i don't want them cut or damaged too bad i will open hand hit them. But that has almost dropped out of my methods these days as i don't strike at all unless i am in danger.

In the past I have slapped some people away to make a point if they got too close. That with the top of my hand. Either strike or grapple with me and mainly the latter. Although a good few times it is very tempting with some people, but a lot of them just try to draw you in. Agree though that being in danger is pretty much the only way.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, one simple question and please I am being serious here. How do you alter years of conditioning mentally to unconsciously switch to the palm, if like me you constantly strike with the fist. Perhaps this is why I find different methods uncontrollable, just keep going to that stance, and absorbing new stuff. I think this train of thought or whatever you would deem it. Point is that I am always reverting back if I do not understand a given new form or technique? Actually technique is what I am asking I guess. Any thoughts please :)

I would say that it's something that you'll just have to do more often, in training. Kenpo is an art that I've done for a long time, so when I switched to Kyokushin, it was hard, and it still is, to break habits. The blocks, strikes, kicks, etc, and the same, but the method of execution is different, and despite entering my 4th yr, while I've forced myself to change, I still get mad at myself, because there are still some things that I'm 'reminded' that I'm not doing 'right.' Now, it's not that I'm not doing them right, per se. I mean, I'd like to think that after 20+yrs, I'd be capable to throwing a solid punch, but it's not my teachers way of doing it.

I don't know what art you do, but let's say you're running through techniques. Any time it requires you to throw a punch, simply substitute that with a palm strike. Will you possibly have to change target areas? Sure, but that's not really a huge issue.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say that it's something that you'll just have to do more often, in training. Kenpo is an art that I've done for a long time, so when I switched to Kyokushin, it was hard, and it still is, to break habits. The blocks, strikes, kicks, etc, and the same, but the method of execution is different, and despite entering my 4th yr, while I've forced myself to change, I still get mad at myself, because there are still some things that I'm 'reminded' that I'm not doing 'right.' Now, it's not that I'm not doing them right, per se. I mean, I'd like to think that after 20+yrs, I'd be capable to throwing a solid punch, but it's not my teachers way of doing it.

I don't know what art you do, but let's say you're running through techniques. Any time it requires you to throw a punch, simply substitute that with a palm strike. Will you possibly have to change target areas? Sure, but that's not really a huge issue.

I know there are some in Wing Chun, but mainly been doing blocks and some situational awareness stuff. IE I mean by that what would a typical Joe do, then how one would counter. A lot of it is down to me. I tend to rely on formed habits as it were, so I guess I should really take a blank canvas with me, and make that a new habit. Perhaps also my age has something to do with it as well. I don't posses the years in MA like the majority of you lot.

Reactions: MJS

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there are some in Wing Chun, but mainly been doing blocks and some situational awareness stuff. IE I mean by that what would a typical Joe do, then how one would counter. A lot of it is down to me. I tend to rely on formed habits as it were, so I guess I should really take a blank canvas with me, and make that a new habit. Perhaps also my age has something to do with it as well. I don't posses the years in MA like the majority of you lot.

Well, like I said, one step at a time. :) I enjoy breaking down various things in the arts that I do. It's really amazing what you can find, if you devote attention to 1 thing.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The same way you get to Carnegie Hall.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The way you get to Carnegie Hall - practice, practice, practice.

Latest Discussions