changing arts

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree with Zero about getting your hip looked at. Have you had an orthopedist look at it, to rule out bone/cartilage/soft-tissue damage that could be fixed surgically or with physical therapy?

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for all the input so far.

I have a hip issue that has been nagging for quite a while. My Dr. Has suggested finding something that will be less strenuous on my hip. It's fine throwing most kicks but roundhouse, side kicks and hook kicks disturb it as do splits and any stretches that abduct the hip.

I have a friend who teaches a jujitsu aikido mix. I enjoy it but the way he teaches it isn't really the style I want to take on full time. He isnt structured in his teaching style and I prefer the forms and structure of a traditional class.

We have multiple karate and kenpo schools in my area. From where I live all the schoops are at least a half hour drive for me. I would love to try wing chun but those schools are over an hour away.

I admit that when I was seeking before I may not have approached things as well as I could have. I was younger, proud and ambitious in wanting to learn. I definitely am older and a bit wiser now. I have also been leading my own school for the past 4 years. My instructor left off training and since then mentorship has been difficult for me to establish with someone else. When i find a new art I intend to switch to teaching it eventually. This is one of the reasons I would to find a more traditional art that I would be able to transition to a little easier.

Again thanks for input, it is appreciated

I've never driven less than 2 1/2 hours for Wing Chun, and yet it's the art I have the most practice in nonetheless. Also recently taking up Eskrima, which is an hour and a half away, and I thought that to be comparatively "close."

You never know what lengths you'll go to if you catch the bug. I'll put in a plug for Eskrima / Kali too, though - just starting to get into it myself. If you find WC appealing, you'll probably enjoy those too.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are in the same boat I was in a little over 20 years ago. I used to train in a southern Shaolin kung fu style but after some 14 years of it my hip was giving me fits.
So I changed systems completely. I began training Wing Tsun and found the system to be much more user friendly.
The hip injury cleared up for the most part after I quit the other training and I am going strong.
Best decision I ever made....martial arts wise anyway.

Latest Discussions