changing arts

Shoop

White Belt
Reaction score
I am a 3rd degree black belt in TKD. Recently some joint issues have made me think about changing to a different art form. Regardless of what I choose to do I want to be respectful while not having the instructor get preconceived notions about me or my training.

When visiting other classes, should I inform the instructor of my background, tell them I have trained before in TKD or jump right in class and just follow along.

The reason I ask this. As a 1St dan in my early 20s I had left the school and had been training with and looked to change. I told every school of my background and where I was in my training. Most of then told me to keep wearing my rank and jump in. Others treated me like i was challenging their system. I am humble enough to be willing to be a white belt again.

what do you folks think?

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think you should go to a dojo with a beginner's mindset...

Pretend like you don't know what a roundhouse kick is and absorb what they teach you.

If some people treat you as if you are challenging their system, it's either you're coming off the wrong way, or they are insecure about their art.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
If they ask tell them, if they don't, don't worry about it.

When I was mostly a kenpo guy I used to keep a white belt in my gear bag so that I could wear that when I visited other schools, if they wanted me to wear another belt they would tell me. No one ever took exception to my willingness to strap on a white belt. And if I was in a judo or jiujitsu class it really didn't matter what my rank was in kenpo.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tell them. Don't wear your rank. It can save a bit of hassle when they don't have to explain basic stuff.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been in your shoes before and unfortunately attitudes are always there. I would be open and honest about your rank but more important is your reasons. That being said your attitude and the way you come across can make all difference. Make sure you do not say things like...in TKD we do this or I am used to doing it this way....I learnt the hard way to be honest with the teacher from the start then keep my mouth shut from that point on. Let go of what you think you know and try and learn the new art without letting the TKD bias creep in. (Easier said then done). It's not easy to be a blank slate.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, how far as you looking to go, style-wise? If you're switching to a style with similar techniques, then I think you should mention that you used to do TKD so it doesn't look weird, but otherwise it's really up to you. Either way, you don't need to go around saying you've got a 3rd Dan. I mean, you can, but you don't need to.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Find a school you like and play it by ear.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Only tell a school what they ask. If they care about previous training they'll ask. I've met plenty of guys who tell me about their previous training when I haven't even asked. Funny thing is sometimes I'm surprised they have prior training. I'd rather surprise people when I'm better than they think than to have them expect more than you can deliver.

What style are you considering? I'll plug Arnis/Kali/Eskrima, the Filipino martial arts are full of guys that have previous training and it seems to be a natural progression for many martial artists. Other options are bjj (with a gi) it's relatively easy on the body but still a challenge and will compliment your striking training. You might consider boxing too as a means to increase overall fitness level. Keep in mind you don't have to spar or fight, a lot can be learned from mitt work and bag conditioning if your shoulders are healthy.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with Mephisto, answer their questions honestly. I usually ask people if they have previous training not to know what they know but to get them to talk about themselves. Why are they training, what are their interests and goals. I really don't care if they have any training or not. I am more interested in their attitude toward training and working with others. As soon as they start moving on the mats whether is be striking or groundwork I know if they have had any training. Good fundamentals and body mechanics are good no matter what art one has training in and it shows immediately.
Answer their questions, be humble and respectful, have a learning attitude and enjoy yourself.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest making a big deal out of it -- but I wouldn't try to hide it either. I ask students about their background. I want to know, because it can shape what they do, and I'm going to have a clue or three pretty fast anyway. It also lets me save some time and tweak things rather than reinvent the wheel completely... or explain something in a way that might make more sense to them.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
As an instructor I am always a little weary about taking on black belts from other arts as they can sometimes be stubborn and refuse to change and accept new ideas, however I will always give them the benefit of the doubt. If you go with an open mind it won't matter so much if you have had previous training. You don't need to say anything but if they ask just be honest. If you are trying a similar the fact that you had had previous training will soon become apparent.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would not mention rank in other styles unless asked, but not make a secret of it either. How you follow instruction in your new art will speak for itself.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You'll find that if you are of a certain skill level and get to exhibit such either in sparing (a lot of classes will let you get involved from day-one if you want) or simply practicing techniques, a senior or the instructor may well come up to you during the class or afterwards and say, "hey looks like you may have done some training, what's your background and what are you after?"

I don't see any harm in telling them off the get-go that you have experience in another style as long as this is done in a friendly manner but equally, there is no issue just keeping that to yourself and seeing how things pan out.

Slightly different but when I visit another goju ryu school (or most times also if another karate style if no goju in the area) when travelling, out of courtesy I inform them up front of my grade, school back home, sensei etc and they can do with that information as they please. You don't always have ability to pack gi/belt when on business/travelling and in any event, unless it is a same style club it would seem a bit weird or a little bit off in my mind to put on your gi and bb in the first training session...

If you are looking to switch to something completely removed from your TKD skills, ie bjj or judo (although I note you said you have some "joint issues"), then your 3rd degree probably won't add up to a hill o beans anyways. You may find you pick up concepts and moves quicker than someone who has no MA background, but then again, you may find some things feel counter-intuitive to your TKD outlook and experience, so it can go either way. : )

Out of curiosity, what kind of "joint issues" do you have? Do you have some hip or knee issue, so that the more flashy TKD techniques are troubling you but so that the more simple kicks are fine? Or is kicking in general now problematic so you are looking at just boxing or a grappling style?

Judo is great but can over a long time be pretty hard on the knees with constantly going down on one knee to execute throws and can have hard impacts before you get your break falls down for example. While jujitsu has a lot more "smaller circle" lock and joint work involved, so that may be more prone to inflaming your injury, depending what it is?

What are you looking for?

Respect.

Last edited:
OP
S

Shoop

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for all the input so far.

I have a hip issue that has been nagging for quite a while. My Dr. Has suggested finding something that will be less strenuous on my hip. It's fine throwing most kicks but roundhouse, side kicks and hook kicks disturb it as do splits and any stretches that abduct the hip.

I have a friend who teaches a jujitsu aikido mix. I enjoy it but the way he teaches it isn't really the style I want to take on full time. He isnt structured in his teaching style and I prefer the forms and structure of a traditional class.

We have multiple karate and kenpo schools in my area. From where I live all the schoops are at least a half hour drive for me. I would love to try wing chun but those schools are over an hour away.

I admit that when I was seeking before I may not have approached things as well as I could have. I was younger, proud and ambitious in wanting to learn. I definitely am older and a bit wiser now. I have also been leading my own school for the past 4 years. My instructor left off training and since then mentorship has been difficult for me to establish with someone else. When i find a new art I intend to switch to teaching it eventually. This is one of the reasons I would to find a more traditional art that I would be able to transition to a little easier.

Again thanks for input, it is appreciated

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I have a hip issue that has been nagging for quite a while. My Dr. Has suggested finding something that will be less strenuous on my hip. It's fine throwing most kicks but roundhouse, side kicks and hook kicks disturb it as do splits and any stretches that abduct the hip.

I have a friend who teaches a jujitsu aikido mix. I enjoy it but the way he teaches it isn't really the style I want to take on full time. He isnt structured in his teaching style and I prefer the forms and structure of a traditional class.

We have multiple karate and kenpo schools in my area. From where I live all the schoops are at least a half hour drive for me. I would love to try wing chun but those schools are over an hour away.

I admit that when I was seeking before I may not have approached things as well as I could have. I was younger, proud and ambitious in wanting to learn. I definitely am older and a bit wiser now. I have also been leading my own school for the past 4 years. My instructor left off training and since then mentorship has been difficult for me to establish with someone else. When i find a new art I intend to switch to teaching it eventually. This is one of the reasons I would to find a more traditional art that I would be able to transition to a little easier.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Shoop, I am not saying that changing styles is a bad thing at all but have you not looked into rehab and remedial work and a full on assessment with a sports doctor and/or sports physio (preferably one with hands on experience with athletes)?
No offense but many main stream Drs and physios just take the view that, ok you are hurt, stop that part of your life and do something else. This is totally different from the outlook and bag of tools that a sports doc or physio that gets paid to look after and get athletes back into shape, for who the line "ok stop fighting or competing" etc, is not an option.

What you are saying also rings a few bells with myself. I do a lot of high kicks, round houses and hook kicks myself. I also do quite a lot of power lifting. A couple years back I had strained my lower back and hip and hamstring on the right side (not realising it at the time) and after a while I annoyingly found that my right hip was getting really painful after doing a lot of high kicks, particularly round houses wit ha lot of torque. I had to stop and do a lot of lower back/lumber stretching in between fights.

The stretching and yoga helped but it was not a fix, just a mitigator.

I then went and saw a sports physio and she gave me a lot of lower ab strengthening workouts and movements for the hips and kicking and stretches for the hammies. I also laid off heavy dead lifting (sob, sob). But hey, now my kicking is back to it's all time level of greatness and no tightness or tweaks in the hip.

Just saying, don't give up on fixing yourself. Even if you change styles I would endorse keeping up the rehab and if something is not working change approach or Dr. I don't think you need to be stuck for life with a bung hip...and more importantly, why deprive and rob yourself of the pleasure of kicking people in the face!!:woot::)

Last edited:

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
never hurts to bring your belt anyway, they will either tell you not to wear it or you can

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Frankly, if you're having joint issues I would caution against going into another standup art like Karate, Kenpo, or Kung Fu. I would recommend a grappling style like Bjj (Judo is pretty brutal on the body) or something like Aikido. Not only will those styles be easier on your body, but they're so different from TKD that you won't feel like you're learning everything all over again.

I know when I switched from karate to Bjj, I was hungry to learn more because Bjj was so alien to everything I learned in my former art. So doing something different than what you're used to should definitely be a consideration.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Most schools that I've trained in have asked if I've ever studied marital arts before and I was always honest with them and it was never an issue. I've actually worn my current rank in some places and others I just wore my gi/dobak bottoms and a plain shirt. I think if your honest with the instructor and just go with they recommend and you'll be fine.

Latest Discussions