Best Martial Art school in the Los Angeles area?

Honorbound

White Belt
Reaction score
Just some quick background on myself - I'm 20 years old, a skinny dude but a great deal weaker and more out of shape than I would like. I have a strong martial arts background (I took up to a brown belt in TKD when I was very young and up to a yellow or orange belt in Jinenkan a few years ago) and now I'm looking for a school to call home. Things I look for in training: - practicality (am I learning techniques at full speed? is there sparring and reaction drills?) - useability (will I be able to implement the techniques I learn in a self-defense situation?) - depth (am I learning how to turn every part of my body into a weapon?) - size of classes (am I going to see the instructor once per session as he walks around to 50 different students? or will I get more one on one attention from advanced students and the instructor?) - intensity (after the first session will I be able to walk? how hard is the training?) - will I learn how to take a hit properly while using the techniques so I don't lose my composure in a self-defense situation? I am very interested in taking some kind of Kung Fu but the only place that is close to me is White Tiger Kung Fu and I've heard mixed things about their system. The Inosanto academy is the closest school to me but the classes can get really big and due to the vast differences in skills of people in the class, some students are just flailing around trying to grasp the intricate locks and grabs while others just seem bored. Ideally I want to find a school that will challenge me and make me feel at home. If the people who I'm training with are warm and friendly it makes it a lot more fun to throw eachother around the room with no hard feelings. Also, a dojo filled with people with huge egos just isn't my scene. Any recommendations for schools in the LA area? Preferably in the Marina Del Rey/Venice/Santa Monica area but I'm willing to make a drive if its worth it.

OP
H

Honorbound

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry can a moderator please delete one of these I didn't realize it went through the first time. Thanks and sorry for the double post.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Honorbound,

First off, I'd like to start with the standard disclaimer: There is no "best" when it comes to martial arts and schools, simply best suited to the individual. We could very easily suggest something that pretty much matches your requests, but not be suited to yourself at all. Bear that in mind as we go through this.

With that said, I'm going to go through your list, and see if we can get some clarification, as a fair bit of this is rather general, and quite subjective. Here goes.

Just some quick background on myself - I'm 20 years old, a skinny dude but a great deal weaker and more out of shape than I would like. I have a strong martial arts background (I took up to a brown belt in TKD when I was very young and up to a yellow or orange belt in Jinenkan a few years ago) and now I'm looking for a school to call home.

Okay, cool. When it comes to the Jinenkan, there are actually only three kyu grades below Black Belt, typically using a green belt. Individual schools (and their Dojo-cho) can elect to have further grades below that, and give them a belt ranking as they see fit (with Manaka Sensei's approval), however "yellow or orange" is far from universal, and probably won't mean anything even to members of the Jinenkan.

Things I look for in training: - practicality (am I learning techniques at full speed? is there sparring and reaction drills?)

Practical training is not necessarily going to be the same to everyone, or within different systems. For example, what we class as realistic training involves no sparring at all, as it is considered an unrealistic scenario or environment for survival or self defence use. Full speed means you can't do things full power, and so on. You can do full speed, full power into impact equipment, but that is not nexessarily realistic either (although it's not meant to be, as it's giving you a way to generate power and speed, rather than techniques per se).

- useability (will I be able to implement the techniques I learn in a self-defense situation?)

Most systems will tell you that what they teach is of course great for self defence, although that is not really the case. To begin with, I have been saying a fair bit recently that no martial art is designed for self defence, as that is not their aim. Of course, the technical curriculum can be used for self defence, but that is a different thing altogether. Then the question comes up, how can you qualify what is or is not "useable" in a self defence situation? Because I have to tell you, it's far less to do with the techniques and a lot more to do with the way things are trained and the mindset you have.

- depth (am I learning how to turn every part of my body into a weapon?)

Every part? How do you propose using your eye-lashes? Really, using every part isn't necessary. I typically recommend if someone just wants to get decent for street defence quickly for them to take up boxing, and they certainly don't use every part of the body. It's kind of one of those annoying martial art myths that "every part of your body becomes a lethal weapon!" Look instead for someone who understands how to use their body in the way their system works, because when they can get across the principles of their art, boundaries tend to expand and disappear....

- size of classes (am I going to see the instructor once per session as he walks around to 50 different students? or will I get more one on one attention from advanced students and the instructor?)

Each type of class has it's benefits and issues. The larger classes will give you a greater range of training partners, getting you used to a greater vartiety of body shapes, ranges, and so forth, while losing some of that personal attention. However, you should still be able to organise more private sessions for the one-on-one time if you feel that is required. So don't rule a school out because it's bigger than others, it may be just what you're looking for in all other ways.

- intensity (after the first session will I be able to walk? how hard is the training?)

Intensity can be very different things in different groups. Within my schools, the intensity is typically more to do with confrontation of adrenaline (and it's effects), pushing past comfort levels, and so on, in the BJJ class I attended the intensity was definately physical (those guys gave me one of the most intense work-outs that I've had in a long time'!), classical Japanese systems are typically quite intense on a spiritual or emotional level (it's not uncommon for people in certain sword schools to be sweating profuesly after only 10 minutes or so of performing the techniques, and that is nothing to do with physical exersion).

Again, each will have it's benefits and issues, and you will need to find the school that suits yourself. One persons "intense" may be easy to you, but what you find overwhelming may not bother them in the slightest. If all you're after is a good work out, though, look to sporting systems, or better yet, join a gym for that side of things. It's not necessarily what you will get in a more "practical" system as the needs are very different.

- will I learn how to take a hit properly while using the techniques so I don't lose my composure in a self-defense situation?

That will depend on the school and the way it teaches. Different schools will have different ways of teaching it, and whether or not it works for you will be up to you to decide. For example, again in my schools, we do a lot of work with adrenaline, focusing on supressing the effects after we feel the "twinge", we have also put on protective equipment, hit each other near full force, and then continued onto various drills (blocking/covering an assault, counter-striking, prevent a grapple etc). Others work purely on the emotional side of things (the Japanese concept of mushin), others simply expect you to "work through it" by putting you in situations where you either get past the problems of being hit, or you don't.

I am very interested in taking some kind of Kung Fu but the only place that is close to me is White Tiger Kung Fu and I've heard mixed things about their system. The Inosanto academy is the closest school to me but the classes can get really big and due to the vast differences in skills of people in the class, some students are just flailing around trying to grasp the intricate locks and grabs while others just seem bored.

Just a small note here, intricate locks and grabs would be what are classed as fine-motor skills, and those will be some of the first to go in a real situation, so if you are learning those you are learning a martial art, not self defence. Self defence (physically) will be made up pretty much exclusively of gross-motor techniques and applications, as that is what you will find available to yourself in a real situation. Just so you know.

Ideally I want to find a school that will challenge me and make me feel at home. If the people who I'm training with are warm and friendly it makes it a lot more fun to throw eachother around the room with no hard feelings. Also, a dojo filled with people with huge egos just isn't my scene.

Well, yes, that is the ideal. My suggestion is to look for a school that suits you (in this way) rather than a system, and it seems like that's what you're doing. Cool. In that regard, the best advice is to visit as many schools as you can, and see who "speaks" to you. Find a teacher that you can respect, a group of people you can work with, and you'll be fine. I wish you all the best with that.

Any recommendations for schools in the LA area? Preferably in the Marina Del Rey/Venice/Santa Monica area but I'm willing to make a drive if its worth it.

Well, I'm a little removed from your location to really help with a particular school, but hopefully you can begin to clarify (at least to yourself) what it is you are after. I can think of quite a few systems that fit your requests, but they may not be anything like what you have in your mind. And as I said at the beginning, asking for the "best" martial art school is like asking to hear the best album. What do you like?

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, most schools will let you try your first session free or for a really low fee. I would suggest taking some time to try as many as you can for free until you find one you really enjoy. Also, you would have the benefit of learning a wide variety of early techniques in different arts for little or no cost until you decide what is for you. Just my $0.02. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've got a laundry list of what you're looking for. You've got some experience to help you shop. Go out and see what's out there, and meets your requirements. But, I feel this is a great point to post a link to a blog I read recently:
Karate Puritans
By this point, it is clear that they are seeking something: a re-creation of what they once had, or maybe the purity of the one true way? I call them Karate Puritans but you get the point. The dojo has to be just so and the instruction should be just the way they have envisioned. At the end of the day, the Karate Puritans, while their cup is not empty, it is not full of technique or experience either. Instead, their cup is full of expectations, goals, and preconceptions of what should be. My experience is that often the Karate Puritans use the pattern to not train, to not get on the floor, to not apply themselves.
Excuses are really easy to make -- and they tend to multiply. Often exponentially...

OP
H

Honorbound

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the post chris. One thing that would have made my intentions of this topic more clear: what is YOUR favorite MA school? I'm looking for personal opinions here because currently my only resource is google.

Another thing, I am not looking for a martial arts school to get me in shape. I'm looking for a martial arts school that will interest me and the physical fitness will be a byproduct of my training.

Also, I was trying to express my distaste of intricate wrist locks which I would never be able to pull off during an assault. While these things are cool looking, only trying them at 50% speed while the partner stands limp is far from realistic IMO. I'm competant enough to defend myself against an average attacker but what about someone much larger and stronger? This is what I need to work on and boxing isn't quite my style just because of the format of training and the gyms/people often are intimidating and unwelcoming.

That being said, I'm not a karate Puritan. I trust in the fact that the instructor knows a lot more than I do and I always show my teachers a great deal of respect regardless of my feelings on the teaching/system. I'm always open to new things and i don't have any "ideal" training in mind beyond the general points that I brought up before, which isn't very restrictive IMO it just rules out TKD.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just some quick background on myself - I'm 20 years old, a skinny dude but a great deal weaker and more out of shape than I would like. I have a strong martial arts background (I took up to a brown belt in TKD when I was very young and up to a yellow or orange belt in Jinenkan a few years ago) and now I'm looking for a school to call home. Things I look for in training: - practicality (am I learning techniques at full speed? is there sparring and reaction drills?) - useability (will I be able to implement the techniques I learn in a self-defense situation?) - depth (am I learning how to turn every part of my body into a weapon?) - size of classes (am I going to see the instructor once per session as he walks around to 50 different students? or will I get more one on one attention from advanced students and the instructor?) - intensity (after the first session will I be able to walk? how hard is the training?) - will I learn how to take a hit properly while using the techniques so I don't lose my composure in a self-defense situation? I am very interested in taking some kind of Kung Fu but the only place that is close to me is White Tiger Kung Fu and I've heard mixed things about their system. The Inosanto academy is the closest school to me but the classes can get really big and due to the vast differences in skills of people in the class, some students are just flailing around trying to grasp the intricate locks and grabs while others just seem bored. Ideally I want to find a school that will challenge me and make me feel at home. If the people who I'm training with are warm and friendly it makes it a lot more fun to throw eachother around the room with no hard feelings. Also, a dojo filled with people with huge egos just isn't my scene. Any recommendations for schools in the LA area? Preferably in the Marina Del Rey/Venice/Santa Monica area but I'm willing to make a drive if its worth it.

Well, you already have an advantage...you're in CA, which IMO, is the mecca of the martial arts world. I think its safe to say that pretty much anything is there, so I'll say what I say to everyone that asks this type of question:

Sit down and figure out what you want out of your training. Once you have done that, research the schools that offer or come close to offering what you want. Go down and watch a few classes, and even try 1 or 2 out. Personally, I'd check out some Kenpo or Kajukenbo schools.

OP
H

Honorbound

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, you already have an advantage...you're in CA, which IMO, is the mecca of the martial arts world. I think its safe to say that pretty much anything is there, so I'll say what I say to everyone that asks this type of question:

Sit down and figure out what you want out of your training. Once you have done that, research the schools that offer or come close to offering what you want. Go down and watch a few classes, and even try 1 or 2 out. Personally, I'd check out some Kenpo or Kajukenbo schools.

Can you recommend any kenpo schools or systems specifically? Kajukenbo looks very interesting and their full contact training is appealing.

rhn_kenpo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I can't give you any first-hand input on LA area kenpo schools, except obviously for where I train. But there are several with a solid reputation and as noted, you can give them a try before you make a longer term commitment.

I've heard favorable reports on the following:
Bryan Hawkins Kenpo in West LA
Larry Tatum Pasadena
Kenpofit Pasadena

Remember, this is all impressionistic as I've never trained at these schools. FWIW, I train at Rick Jeffcoat's school in Pasadena and am extremely satisfied with what I'm learning.
Good luck
R

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you recommend any kenpo schools or systems specifically? Kajukenbo looks very interesting and their full contact training is appealing.

Well, as it was mentioned, you have Larry Tatum in Pasadena. Ron "Doc" Chapel is in Ca. He's a member of this forum. As far as Kajukenbo goes, you can check out this link. John Bishop is a mod. here, so I'm sure he can help you in that area. :) I've heard good things about his school, as well as Kingis Kajukenbo. GM Greg Harper is in Ca.

Regarding the Kenpo schools, you could also check out Kenponet. They have a list of schools in the Ca. area. Of course, I do not know how up to date that list is.

I should note, that I do not live in Ca., so as far as driving distance from where you are, vs. where the schools are, is something I can't help with. :)

Latest Discussions