Cert. Burn?

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Any Kukkiwon certified Black Belts out there who have been burned by their present or former Master Instructor with a fraudulent Kukkiwon certificate? Was at a tournament Saturday and overheard someone say some were recently floating around that were not legit. How widespread is this I wonder?

whitebelt

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
white belt said:
Any Kukkiwon certified Black Belts out there who have been burned by their present or former Master Instructor with a fraudulent Kukkiwon certificate? Was at a tournament Saturday and overheard someone say some were recently floating around that were not legit. How widespread is this I wonder?

whitebelt
If anyone wonders if their rank certificate is legitimate, they can contact Kukkiwon's International Department.

Miles

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
White Belt there are thousands of Fake certificates out there and if you ever tried to validate yours it may take a long time especially if they sent it directly to the Kukkiwon they are so backed up that it may take years for them to get to you. It through USTU about 6 weeks to find out.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
White Belt there are thousands of Fake certificates out there and if you ever tried to validate yours it may take a long time especially if they sent it directly to the Kukkiwon they are so backed up that it may take years for them to get to you. It through USTU about 6 weeks to find out.
I know of the procedure though I've not had to utilize it. However, why do you think the Kukkiwon is "so backed up that it may take years"? Do you speak from personal experience?

Thanks!

Miles

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miles said:
I know of the procedure though I've not had to utilize it. However, why do you think the Kukkiwon is "so backed up that it may take years"? Do you speak from personal experience?

Thanks!

Miles
It took a friend of mine almost a year to validate his after he was not able to find it and forgot his number... so not personally but through a friend

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
It took a friend of mine almost a year to validate his after he was not able to find it and forgot his number... so not personally but through a friend
I think we are not talking about the same thing. One can "validate" by contacting Kukkiwon and inquiring whether they've been issued a valid certificate. This might be the case if they suspect their certificate is not issued by Kukkiwon. I would think that this would be relatively simple and quick.

Another procedure is for re-issuing lost certificates or correcting a name on a certificate. Since you get the wallet card and the certificate, it would be pretty simple to retain the number (and one's number is supposed to be unique) and request a replacement certificate. This procedure might take more time than simply "validating." Again, I am guessing as I've never experienced a problem. When I've recommended students, I get their certificates from Kukkiwon usually within 45 days.

Miles