carry your gun off duty

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably a good idea to take a look at this, as well as the rest of the forum rules, before this thread get too out of hand.

Anyways....As for the original article...good for the cops, they did what they had to do. As far as abuse of powers, people that're shot when they supposedly didn't have to be...well, I'll say this....unless we know all of the details, then all we can do, at best, is armchair QB the event.

Shot in the head for DUI?? Man, I hope that there was some other reason that they got shot, because otherwise someone will probably be going up the river.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shot in the head for DUI?? Man, I hope that there was some other reason that they got shot, because otherwise someone will probably be going up the river.

Im pretty sure there probably was. I take any internet posting like that with a large grain of salt minus any evidence or references. And for every "those cops shot him for no reason" story I find I can probably find two examples of where someone simply misunderstands (or willfully ignores) the legalities of use of force.

FierySquidFace

Green Belt
Reaction score
the reason was that he was a black kid in a redneck town that ran from the cops when their party got busted. outside of town, in the country i might add.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Now you're mocking my art.

Just relax "officer". Personaly, I wouldn't mind being able to shoot people for a living. You guys seem to get alot of enjoyment out it.

How old are you? The sentence structure is there but your statements make you sound either young or immature.

As an LEO I always have a sidearm with me; I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I do not care how good your kung-fu is, 15+ rounds of 9mm can make up for a difference in skill, especially at range and/or your opponent went to the school of spray and pray.

I have been very luck, I have never had the need to draw a weapon or step into a confrontation off-duty and I live in a city of over a quarter million souls.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why is it always assumed by some, that a person goes into Law Enforcement, to abuse power, beat people up, and shoot people. The criteria to become a cop is the most stringent, then any other profession, period. Walk the streets of any crime ridden city in the USA at 2am in the morning, and find out what the bad guy thinks of humanity. A cop is a cop 24/7 just like a physician, and if called upon a doctor would save and preserve life. A cops firearm is also a tool to serve the same purpose. Now back on post, off duty, carry.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Amazing how the anti cop comments still flow like water. The OP posted cases which IMO, lethal force was justified. What being black in a redneck town has to do with the thread, other than TROLLING, I'll never know. Makes me laugh when I hear those comments, because ALL of us have said that there are bad cops, but some people seem to miss that little tidbit, yet thats the comment that they repeatedly make. Amazing how some people seem to justify what the badguys do, to make the cops have to shoot or use force.

Oh well...off to RTM some posts for trolling the LEO section.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I sincerely appologize to everyone here for being negative and disrespectful.:asian:

I'm...I'm...I'm just speechless at this. Why? Because for every time that you've said it, you go right back to doing the complete opposite.

FierySquidFace

Green Belt
Reaction score
alright, alright, i learned my leason: don't disagree with any LEO ever, for any reason. and stay the f*** out of their forums.
now bring on the bad rep, and derogatory comments... you guys are really doing a great job.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
alright, alright, i learned my leason: don't disagree with any LEO ever, for any reason. and stay the f*** out of their forums.
now bring on the bad rep, and derogatory comments... you guys are really doing a great job.
Y'know... You've been harping on ONE incident. You haven't been willing to listen to anyone pointing out that the kid brought this on himself, and that it just might have been a tragic accident, largely fueled by the kid's series of dumbass choices beginning with running a stop sign (I'll even give him the benefit of the doubt, and say that it wasn't a blatant, blast through it at 40 without even slowing down, and was simply a "rolling stop".) which he then compounded by deciding not to stop when the cops hit the blue lights, then further compounded by trying to run the cops off the road. More than once.

Obviously, it was the evil cops intent to blast the kid, right? Nothing that he did factored into it at all... They must clearly be racist, and probably woke up going "I hopes I gets to shoot me a black kid today!", right? (If you don't realize it -- that's exactly how you're coming across on this issue.)

Look, it's pretty clear to me that this case and this issue really strikes a nerve with you. I'm going to strongly suggest that you take advantage of that citizen's academy I mentioned elsewhere. It would help you understand more of where the cops are coming from.

Many officers choose to carry their guns off duty not in the hope that they get to shoot someone, but out of fear that if something happens, they'll be helpless and won't be prepared. I refer you (again) to David Grossman's piece, On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For example, many officers carry their weapons in church. They are well concealed in ankle holsters, shoulder holsters or inside-the-belt holsters tucked into the small of their backs. Anytime you go to some form of religious service, there is a very good chance that a police officer in your congregation is carrying. You will never know if there is such an individual in your place of worship, until the wolf appears to slaughter you and your loved ones.

I was training a group of police officers in Texas, and during the break, one officer asked his friend if he carried his weapon in church. The other cop replied, “I will never be caught without my gun in church.” I asked why he felt so strongly about this, and he told me about a police officer he knew who was at a church massacre in Ft. Worth, Texas, in 1999. In that incident, a mentally deranged individual came into the church and opened fire, gunning down 14 people. He said that officer believed he could have saved every life that day if he had been carrying his gun. His own son was shot, and all he could do was throw himself on the boy’s body and wait to die. That cop looked me in the eye and said, “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself after that?”

Some individuals would be horrified if they knew this police officer was carrying a weapon in church. They might call him paranoid and would probably scorn him. Yet these same individuals would be enraged and would call for “heads to roll” if they found out that the airbags in their cars were defective, or that the fire extinguisher and fire sprinklers in their kids’ school did not work. They can accept the fact that fires and traffic accidents can happen and that there must be safeguards against them. Their only response to the wolf, though, is denial, and all too often their response to the sheepdog is scorn and disdain. But the sheepdog quietly asks himself, “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”
[/FONT]

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I'm assuming that you can read. If so, perhaps you should read the following:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61442

Maybe you should also read these, which you agreed to when you joined this forum, specifically the following:

4.1, 4.5, 4.9

Oh, nothing useful to post? See, anyone is welcome to post anywhere, providing they stick to the rules that are set in place. If you dont like the rules, you're free to leave. If you choose to stay, you may want to try and follow them. :) I agree with JKS...you harp and harp and harp on 1 or 2 things, never seeing anything outside of that. I've personally said quite a few times, that we already know and admit there are bad cops. Seems like you keep harping on that, in addition to never seeing any fault in what the scumbags of the world, do to the cops, to make them shoot or use force. Like I've said, 99.9% of the people who have run ins with the cops, could avoid the headache if they just did what was asked, and didn't act like a jerk. Its really that simple.

Seems to me that you've had some bad run ins with the cops, hold a grudge, and think they're all bad. News flash squid...for every bad cop story you can pull out of your head, I can pull out a good cop story. They're not all evil ya know.

So, if you can open your eyes and see both sides, well, fine, but if not, yes, your trolling and childish antics will most likely find you in trouble.

FierySquidFace

Green Belt
Reaction score
"Do you do anything besides troll? "

not when i keep getting such possitive feedback from my brothers in uniform. i feel like we're really bonding here? don't u?
the longer i'm attacked in these threads, the more i'm compelled to respond. how about we all just let it go now? can we all handle that?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
not when i keep getting such possitive feedback from my brothers in uniform. i feel like we're really bonding here? don't u?

Dude, can you read? We've been trying to show you both sides of the situation, but YOU refuse to see it. So, you going to post anything useful here, or keep on trolling? Choice is yours, but IMO, you're probably on the fast track to getting banned.

Edit:

Looks like you tossed this in last min. ""Do you do anything besides troll? "

So, you're admitting that you're trolling then??

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Do you do anything besides troll? "

the longer i'm attacked in these threads, the more i'm compelled to respond. how about we all just let it go now? can we all handle that?
Obviously you're incapable of following the rules Troll. I predict a short lifespan for you here.

The Last Legionary

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dude, can you read? We've been trying to show you both sides of the situation, but YOU refuse to see it. So, you going to post anything useful here, or keep on trolling? Choice is yours, but IMO, you're probably on the fast track to getting banned.

Edit:

Looks like you tossed this in last min. ""Do you do anything besides troll? "

So, you're admitting that you're trolling then??
The blue was mine. Trollboy there was quoting me.

The Last Legionary

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey SquidTroll! Read section 4.1 General Posting Guidelines again. You seem to have missed this on your pre-registration pass. You did read it before you agreed to it right?

Latest Discussions