Seattle Cop murdered..suspect caught and shot.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.peppersprayme.com/2009/11/seattle-cop-murdered

A Seattle police officer is dead, and his trainee injured in what appears to have been a spontaneous ambush. According to the Seattle Police Department, Officer Timothy Brenton, 39, and his rookie, Officer Britt Sweeney, 33, were parked in their patrol car, debriefing a traffic stop. It was a little after 10 p.m. on Halloween. The suspect vehicle pulled up alongside the officers and opened fire without warning. According to Seattle Police:
The bullets went by Officer Sweeney’s head, grazing her in the back of the neck and tearing her uniform shirt and vest. Bullets struck Officer Brenton in the head, killing him. The suspect vehicle then fled… Officer Sweeney was able to exit the patrol car and return fire at the suspect vehicle. The suspect vehicle may have been struck. Officer Sweeney was able to get on the air and summon additional officers to the scene.
At the time of this posting, there is no further information about the suspects or motive. Officer Brenton has been with the department for nine years. He leaves behind a wife and two children. Officer Sweeney recently graduated from the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Center.

The scumbag..Christopher John Mumfort was paralyzed from the neck down after a gunbattle with police.

In announcing the charges during a news conference, King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg said Christopher John Monfort waged a "one-man war" against the Seattle Police Department that began with the firebombing of several police vehicles on Oct. 22 and ended with the shooting death of Brenton.

The charges include aggravated first-degree murder, filed in the slaying of Brenton, who was fatally shot while sitting in a police cruiser with rookie officer Britt Sweeney, who was wounded. Satterberg called the shootings "coldblooded."

Prosecutors also charged Monfort with three counts of attempted first-degree murder for allegedly trying to kill Sweeney, pulling a handgun on Seattle police Sgt Gary Nelson and for trying to kill officers by firebombing police vehicles.

Monfort was also charged with one count of first-degree arson for the Oct. 22 firebombings at a city maintenance yard.

Aggravated first-degree murder is punishable by one of two sentences — life in prison without parole, or the death penalty. State law mandates that an aggravated murder charge can be sought only under specific circumstances — if the premeditated slaying happened during the commission of a rape, robbery, kidnapping or other high-level crime; if a suspect killed someone after escaping from prison; or if the victim was a police officer.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hopefully he gets the death penalty, cause he wont suffer in prison... cant feel the ole poop shoot getting violated.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hope this cop killer lives a loooooooooooooong time, just as he is now.
I'm sure he will. Appeal after appeal will give him years left to live. I'm sure some group or other will come out against the death penalty for him because he's paralyzed now stating that it would be cruel and unusual punishment to kill him in that state. I say put this animal to sleep as quickly and efficiently as can be done under the law.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to say that, when I saw the original post, the thought that came to me was: Wish this had happened to that coward that shot up Ft Hood.

According to news reports today, that has partially happened.

Usually I'd be on board with the death penalty for those who murder our soldiers or police, as it seems the most severe punishment possible. But consider:

Both of these bad guys thought they'd go out in a blaze of 'glory'.... Blam! Blam! Just like the end of the Wild Bunch! Then, Valhalla or 72 virgins (important for Hasan, as he couldn't get a date in this world). But in an ending Rod Serling could have written, they don't get the quick and glorious exit....

Instead, the Seattle killer is like an insect stuck to a board with a pin.... no pleasure, completely in the control of those he hates and who hate him back, can't hurt anyone or end his hell, just laying there wetting himself in a cold sterile joyless environment day after day....

After 4 police shots, the Fort hood shooter is a permanent wheelchair resident and may have lost use of his hands, too.... No soup and no virgins for you! Hopefully not for decades....

No, I would not grant either monster an early release via hangman or state sponsored OD.... yes, tax money may be used to prolong what for them will seem an endless Hell on earth - best use of tax dollars I've seen in some time.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to say that, when I saw the original post, the thought that came to me was: Wish this had happened to that coward that shot up Ft Hood.

According to news reports today, that has partially happened.

Usually I'd be on board with the death penalty for those who murder our soldiers or police, as it seems the most severe punishment possible. But consider:

Both of these bad guys thought they'd go out in a blaze of 'glory'.... Blam! Blam! Just like the end of the Wild Bunch! Then, Valhalla or 72 virgins (important for Hasan, as he couldn't get a date in this world). But in an ending Rod Serling could have written, they don't get the quick and glorious exit....

Instead, the Seattle killer is like an insect stuck to a board with a pin.... no pleasure, completely in the control of those he hates and who hate him back, can't hurt anyone or end his hell, just laying there wetting himself in a cold sterile joyless environment day after day....

After 4 police shots, the Fort hood shooter is a permanent wheelchair resident and may have lost use of his hands, too.... No soup and no virgins for you! Hopefully not for decades....

No, I would not grant either monster an early release via hangman or state sponsored OD.... yes, tax money may be used to prolong what for them will seem an endless Hell on earth - best use of tax dollars I've seen in some time.

I retract my original statement about hoping they get the death penalty. You have put it in very clear words that I can totally agree with.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Living in the SEattle area, this is a story I've been following pretty closely. I have a couple of thoughts. First, I'm glad the guy was caught and I think that the police handled it very well. He is getting what he deserves and no more.

I am aware of and agree with the idea behind aggravated murder vs murder, and I think that our police need to be protected. A clear message needs to be sent to criminals that targeting the LEO is a bad idea.

But at the same time, I disagree with the general sentiment that the lives of our police are more valuable than the lives of anyone else. The story has received a disproportionate amount of attention, IMO. Innocent people are murdered in cold blood and receive barely a glance by the local media. But a cop is murdered in cold blood and memorials are held, radio personalities start funds, every ripple is reported. I have a problem with that.

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Knew there was a "but" coming...always seems to be one when it come to cops.

What about soldiers...what about Ft. Hood...have a problem with THAT?

There recently were a large number of memorials, fundraisers and media for some firemen killed in a fire here. Have an issue with that?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is it more serious to kill a cop or firefighter? Well, the first reason is very personal; it might have been me you killed!

But let's look at what killing a cop or firefighter or corrections officer (etc.) who is doing their job implies... That cop is the face of the public; he's the representative of public order. Killing a cop or firefighter at that point isn't just a strike at a person, it's a strike at the whole of society. Yes, it's rationalization. But it works for me.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There has been media attention and funds set up for the 11 year old girl from Mount Vernon, NH whose throat was slit and mother was killed during a home invasion.

She is not a public servant of any kind, she is a 6th grader.

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know where Steve is coming from. It just "gets me" some of the times that it only seems that cops get the "you think your lives are more important than ours" shots when firemen, soldiers....not to mention media stars and famous people... don't get the same treatment.

Was Michael Jacksons life worth more than anybody elses? Is a movie star's contribution to society worth more than that of a person who's life was taken while in service to his/her community or country. What is deserving of honor and attention in our society these days? It seems like an actor who overdoses on drugs is fine for hours of media attention while an officer assassinated while parked on the roadside is getting "too much attention".

I think peoples priorities are getting ****ed up.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Knew there was a "but" coming...always seems to be one when it come to cops.

What about soldiers...what about Ft. Hood...have a problem with THAT?

There recently were a large number of memorials, fundraisers and media for some firemen killed in a fire here. Have an issue with that?
I have a problem with the idea that some people's lives are more valuable than others. I have no problem with media attention or fundraisers. What I have a problem with is the idea that the murder of a LEO is more of a loss to the community than the murder of any other upstanding citizen in the community. Is that really so hard to understand?

Once again, I am aware of and understand the difference between murder and aggravated murder. I agree with the rationale that the murder of a cop should carry the most severe punishment. Cops have targets on their backs. I get that and criminals should know that the murder of a police officer will result in dire punishment.

What I'm talking about is the rest of it. For example, Home Depot donated thousands in building materials so that an addition could be built on the house. Contractors are going to do the labor for free. Thousands of dollars in addition to this have been donated. A roundabout downtown was tied up for hours during rush hour for a memorial. Ron and Don have talked about it endlessly for days on one of the local shows.

Maybe I should make it clear that I'm not JUST talking about a cop here. I'm simply observing that we often, as a society, overtly value the lives of some good people more than the lives of other good people. I wonder at the good that could be done if these businesses and media celebrities would do the same for all of the good people who are murdered. I'm sure that their families are often in just as much need, but because their father/husband was just a convenience store clerk (like Melwani, the clerk murdered in Ballard not long ago), they don't get the support.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I live 20 minutes from Phily. People are murdered here all the time, COPS included. And because the murder rate is so high, everyone gets news coverage.

I have never seen so many cops getting killed before. It is seriously out of control here. Dont believe me google the rate for this year and last....

Anyway, I think what makes it so bad and why a cop getting murdered stands out more that ray ray pushing drugs on the corner getting clipped is... Cops have guns and a gang bigger than any on the street. Sure any coward can pull a gun on someone robbing them.... shake while holding it.... and close thier eyes and pull the trigger... But it takes an especially no fear or morals individual who is a HUGE threat to society, to pull a gun and shoot a cop, when the cop has a gun (and isnt hiding it) and is allowed to shoot back.

It speaks clearly of the recklessness of some people. They have no fear and are the worst if they can do that... who can stop someone like that?

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have a problem with the idea that some people's lives are more valuable than others. I have no problem with media attention or fundraisers. What I have a problem with is the idea that the murder of a LEO is more of a loss to the community than the murder of any other upstanding citizen in the community. Is that really so hard to understand?

Once again, I am aware of and understand the difference between murder and aggravated murder. I agree with the rationale that the murder of a cop should carry the most severe punishment. Cops have targets on their backs. I get that and criminals should know that the murder of a police officer will result in dire punishment.

What I'm talking about is the rest of it. For example, Home Depot donated thousands in building materials so that an addition could be built on the house. Contractors are going to do the labor for free. Thousands of dollars in addition to this have been donated. A roundabout downtown was tied up for hours during rush hour for a memorial. Ron and Don have talked about it endlessly for days on one of the local shows.

Maybe I should make it clear that I'm not JUST talking about a cop here. I'm simply observing that we often, as a society, overtly value the lives of some good people more than the lives of other good people. I wonder at the good that could be done if these businesses and media celebrities would do the same for all of the good people who are murdered. I'm sure that their families are often in just as much need, but because their father/husband was just a convenience store clerk (like Melwani, the clerk murdered in Ballard not long ago), they don't get the support.

I don't think you understand why there is such a reaction by the public because you have never ran to the source of the fire or the gunshots. Yes there are good people killed all of the time but for those groups of people that tackle problems the majority of society would with never happened in the first place then that is one reason why, in my humble opinion, there is more of an out pouring of assistance for those people.

On another note societies have almost always venerated its members who have been identified with doing something heroic. I am not talking about handling that loud noise complaint in the apartment building or that damage to property call involving some juveniles throwing rocks.

I am talking about the officer who dies or is injured running down a murderer, who (not SWAT) has to kick in a door on a bandit and cannot wait for back-up or something else the average "good" person has never conceived of doing. Even the hose dragger (aka firefighter :)) not simply assisting medical but pulling people out of a crumbling apartment building.

The lives of these people are no less and no more precious than anyone elses but what makes them special is the fact that so many other people are alive today because of them doing what they do.

Okay, I will get off my soap box now.

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thing is society DOES,HAS and ALWAYS WILL, place "value" on things. Kings, emperors, warlords, Knights, Priests, and on..and on.

Who would ...or should we be "honoring" more? Soldiers, Cops, Firemen or singers, actors and athletes?

If Home Depot want's to donate..thats their decision.

I've experienced some "fine citizens" ire for having to wait for a Soldiers funeral procession. Needless to say I was less than sympathetic.

If someone sees NO fundamental difference in the courage, sacrifice, and duty between a clerk killed in a hold-up and an officer getting killed in a gubattle responding to the robbery...placing their lives willingly on the line..than I don't know what to say.

If honoring a man/woman who was killed wearing the uniform of your City isn't worth a few minutes sitting in traffic then I don't know what to say either.

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
And...as cold and calculating at it may sound. I think that the "big deal" made out of officers deaths helps living officers make the decision to "face the fire" when the time comes. Much of the "big deal" is for those left behind.

While I don't want to die. If dying in the line of duty at least means I will be given a heros memoriam...that the people I died for will at least make a "big deal" out of it..than that will perhaps make it a little easier on me (and my family) as I pass.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't think you understand why there is such a reaction by the public because you have never ran to the source of the fire or the gunshots. Yes there are good people killed all of the time but for those groups of people that tackle problems the majority of society would with never happened in the first place then that is one reason why, in my humble opinion, there is more of an out pouring of assistance for those people.

On another note societies have almost always venerated its members who have been identified with doing something heroic. I am not talking about handling that loud noise complaint in the apartment building or that damage to property call involving some juveniles throwing rocks.

I am talking about the officer who dies or is injured running down a murderer, who (not SWAT) has to kick in a door on a bandit and cannot wait for back-up or something else the average "good" person has never conceived of doing. Even the hose dragger (aka firefighter :)) not simply assisting medical but pulling people out of a crumbling apartment building.

The lives of these people are no less and no more precious than anyone elses but what makes them special is the fact that so many other people are alive today because of them doing what they do.

Okay, I will get off my soap box now.
Okay. Here's the deal. I really, really don't think you took the time to understand my point. I have said nothing that disagrees with anything in your post, and yet you feel like you need to dress me down.

When you say things about how their lives are no more or less precious... but well, they are more precious, make your position very clear to me. I simply disagree.

And once again, I'm not talking about the legal penalties and how Washington State intends to prosecute for Aggravated Murder as opposed to just Murder.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
And...as cold and calculating at it may sound. I think that the "big deal" made out of officers deaths helps living officers make the decision to "face the fire" when the time comes. Much of the "big deal" is for those left behind.

While I don't want to die. If dying in the line of duty at least means I will be given a heros memoriam...that the people I died for will at least make a "big deal" out of it..than that will perhaps make it a little easier on me (and my family) as I pass.

I think it's telling that you two, hudson and archangel, are focusing on a lack of reverence, presuming the worst of me. You guys have a chip on your shoulder and appear to me to be unwilling to read anythiing that even hints at complete disagreement with your point.

What I have suggested is that there would be much good done if EVERY good person who is murdered in cold blood could receive such reverence, and the families such generous support from the community. I have never suggested that a slain officer or soldier is unimportant or not worth the time to pause and respect their funerals or place flowers at their memorial. I don't begrudge the surviving family the assistance from the community. i think that's grerat. I have simply tried to suggest that the murder of an honest gas station clerk is equally important. Both contribute to society. Both families are in need of help.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying, Steve, and in the most part, I agree. Any murder, any accidental homicide even, is a tragedy, especially for the victim's loved ones, and all the victims and their families deserve recognition and compassion.

Why do we give a cop's or firefighter's family special attention? Because the cop accepted the responsibility of running toward danger. I think in some way, it's an unwritten social contract; something like a bribe or a way to ease some sort of survivor's guilt. Kind of like how someone might suddenly donate to the March of Dimes when they're wife is pregnant, or to the local Children's Hospital when they have kids. Kind of a "maybe if I give some money, my family will be safe." I don't know.

I do know it's comforting in a way to know that, between insurance and several programs, if some ******* murders me on-the-job, my family will be taken care, my kid'll be able to go to college... Same way it means something to me to know that my colleagues will take care me & my family if I'm seriously hurt on the job. Is it fair that a cop's family gets special attention? No. But it's a fact of life that it happens.

FierySquidFace

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think it's telling that you two, hudson and archangel, are focusing on a lack of reverence, presuming the worst of me. You guys have a chip on your shoulder and appear to me to be unwilling to read anythiing that even hints at complete disagreement with your point.

couldn't agree more steve. don't worry guys. i'm not even gonna touch this one.

Latest Discussions