Recognizing Danger: Does Your Background Matter?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it can be argued that one of the most important aspects of self-defense is detecting potentially dangerous situations and dealing with them appropriately BEFORE they become self-defense situations.

This requires two capabilities. The first is detection; the second is appropriate action.

I found this article of interest because it deals with detection. The type of danger in this case is roadside bombs in a war zone - something many of us will never have to deal with. However, I think some of the points made are interesting and might have applicability to a discussion about detecting dangerous situations in general.

http://www.cleveland.com/world/index.ssf/2009/10/marines_best_at_spotting_roads.html

Marines best at spotting roadside bombs either grew up rural and hunted, or urban in gang turf
By The Los Angeles Times
October 28, 2009, 7:54PM

Military researchers have found that two groups of personnel were particularly good at spotting anomalies: those with hunting backgrounds, who traipsed the woods as youth in search of a deer or turkey; and those who grew up in urban circumstances where it is often important to know which gang controls which block.

Personnel who fit neither category, often young men who grew up in the suburbs and developed a fondness for video games, did not seem to have the depth perception and peripheral vision of the others.

Reaction score
I was thinking that just reading the topic. Being streetwise, sure, hands down you're going to be better with your danger senses. Especially when it comes to picking up danger from other people. I wasn't expecting the rural hunters to be just as good at IED detection though. I would expect them to be better shots lol.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hah! Proof positive that the suburbs stink.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I totally agree. Background and upbringing plays a lot into recognizing danger. You've got to be able to read people and situations really well. With my growing up all over the place, I've been in many places I didn't speak the language or know the local customs and had to recognize when the crap is going to hit the fan.

I find it interesting that someone used to hunting here in the US would be suited well for situations out there in the desert. But I guess it all comes back to the powers of observation being trained and not just situationally but universally.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Get Bully once? ...your guard or alertness goes up...

Get rob once? ...and your awareness goes up

Get a speeding ticket once? ...your vision becomes more ready spotting cops..

Get punch once? ...your defense learns to block more..

...guess one learns from there enviroment and life styles...

OOPs...didn't see that "dodo" in the ground....the learning "never stops"

....one learns quickly to look for "TOILET PAPER" as public restrooms too...learning the hard way...teaches valuable lessons..

Aloha, ....life teaches us many things...

...learning from them...sometimes hard to learn too...?

-----------------
End-less learning...
Die from drinking and driveing
Die from speeding in a car
Die from jumping into a river pool without checking for rocks or bottoms
Die from Breaking block ice with "head"....true story here..
Die from ?
...these lesson last a lifetime....

Life always gives a warning!!! and one can learn from others mistakes too...
----------

Funny how history repeats it self!!! ....it's just a dougnut?

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I gotta say it again, great article. I've read it twice now. To me it's coming off as if certain backgrounds are geared towards failure in battle, the safe backgrounds.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello, Get Bully once? ...your guard or alertness goes up...

Get rob once? ...and your awareness goes up

Get a speeding ticket once? ...your vision becomes more ready spotting cops..

Get punch once? ...your defense learns to block more..

...guess one learns from there enviroment and life styles...

OOPs...didn't see that "dodo" in the ground....the learning "never stops"

....one learns quickly to look for "TOILET PAPER" as public restrooms too...learning the hard way...teaches valuable lessons..

Aloha, ....life teaches us many things...

...learning from them...sometimes hard to learn too...?

-----------------
End-less learning...
Die from drinking and driveing
Die from speeding in a car
Die from jumping into a river pool without checking for rocks or bottoms
Die from Breaking block ice with "head"....true story here..
Die from ?
...these lesson last a lifetime....

Life always gives a warning!!! and one can learn from others mistakes too...
----------

Funny how history repeats it self!!! ....it's just a dougnut?

Gouak, who grew up in rural Pennsylvania, thinks one more group should be added as particularly dedicated to spotting bombs.
"Anybody who has lost a buddy to an IED," he said. "They never stop watching."

Reiterates pretty much everything stilllearning posted.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you mean by street smarts then yeah of course background would matter and be of immense benefit... however as I see the thread going over to Iraq/Afghanistan it's very difficult I would think until experience takes over and you recognize dangers that are specific to that area/region.

Draven

Green Belt
Reaction score
Makes sense I've lived in all three envionments at different times in my life; in cities I learned to watch body language & in the country I learned to spot small signs of passing animals. In the Burb's I was considered paranoid because I was alert and noticed small things. Actually convinced a girl that was a Sentiel for those familiar with the TV show...

*For those who aren't it focused on two people a cop with super hieghtened senses from his time Nam & a college researcher who was following him around. The LEO used his dog like hearing and sense of smell to track criminals and his eagle like eye sight to notice small details.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Makes sense I've lived in all three envionments at different times in my life; in cities I learned to watch body language & in the country I learned to spot small signs of passing animals. In the Burb's I was considered paranoid because I was alert and noticed small things.

I had the exact same experience. Born in Los Angeles in a not so nice area. Lived there until high school. Moved to North Western Montana in high school were I finished HS and a year of college spent hunting and camping in the mountians. Moved to Philly and lived in a not so nice part of town.

Then finished college in the burbs, a particularly quiet, safe part of the burbs.

No doubt background has an impact. Great article.

I think it boils down to one thing; when your consciously realize that something, someone or some situation can kill you, you pay attention. Rural kids who grow up hunting and camping learn early, that misjudging the situation can get them killed. Weather changes, getting lost, falling, incorrect gear, running into dangerous game etc will kill you. The city kids learn that the wrong area, at the wrong time with the wrong people can kill. Misinterpreting body language can kill you.

That single revelation sticks with you, and you don't forget it, so that, no matter the time or place, you are more aware, because you have learned that failure to be, can kill you.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gavin DeBecker, author of The Gift of Fear, says that his background growing up as an abused child who witnessed one parent murder the other, helped him develop the right instinct for danger. I tend to agree, experience is a hard teacher!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
IIRC, those American WWII pilots who shot skeet, or hunted birds were much more successful in aerial combat.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gavin DeBecker, author of The Gift of Fear, says that his background growing up as an abused child who witnessed one parent murder the other, helped him develop the right instinct for danger. I tend to agree, experience is a hard teacher!

No doubt that this is true, but that doesn't mean it is a good thing :)

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My "Spidey sense" isn't worth a crap as far as alerting me to danger, it kicks in about the time the punch lands...

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My "Spidey sense" isn't worth a crap as far as alerting me to danger, it kicks in about the time the punch lands...

My problem is that my reflexes are amazing - until I think about it. The first punch is no problem - I block that without thinking about it, even sucker punches. But the followup punch? Right in the kisser. I block way, way, too slow for it. I have to imagine it is me getting in the way of me.