Austin PD Shooting

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man what a situation...

Instead of retyping the whole thing, take a look at this cop's blog (a good one if I may add) for the details and videos. I will give an excerpt.

http://www.spartancops.com/austin-pd-officer-involved-shooting/

Facts of the incident:

• The shooting occurred on Monday, May 11, 2009 at 5am in the Walnut Creek Apartments at 6409 Springdale Road in East Austin.
  • The shooter was Officer Leonardo Quintana, an 8 year veteran of Austin PD. The deceased was Nathaniel Sanders II, 18 years old.
  • Three days before the shooting while officers were investigating a recent robbery in the same apartment complex, residents notified them of suspects driving a Mercedes-Benz station wagon and firing shots in the air.
  • The morning of the shooting, Officer Quintana observed the Mercedes-Benz station wagon. He contacted and detained the driver. Two backup officers arrived.
  • Officer Quintana then woke up Sanders who was asleep in the backseat. Quintana stated he observed Sanders make a movement for a weapon. Quintana warned backup officers Sanders was armed and Quintana fired his duty weapon at him, ultimately killing him.
  • Sir Lawrence Smith, 21 years old, was woken in the front passenger seat by the shooting. He lunged at Quintana who fired his duty weapon at him, non-fatally striking him.
  • Smith was treated at University Medical Center at Brackenridge and is expected to make a full recovery.
  • During the investigation a gun was recovered in the vehicle.
Immediate aftermath

And theres more..gang members threatening retaliation etc. I just dont get it. The "victims" who were driving around the hood firing shots into the air have records for drug dealing and robbery, they are armed and they reportedly had no fear of the police...going for their guns and lunging after officers. Yet the "local residents" attack the police.....

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*insert comment about race and media coverage here*

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man what a situation...

Instead of retyping the whole thing, take a look at this cop's blog (a good one if I may add) for the details and videos. I will give an excerpt.

http://www.spartancops.com/austin-pd-officer-involved-shooting/

And theres more..gang members threatening retaliation etc. I just dont get it. The "victims" who were driving around the hood firing shots into the air have records for drug dealing and robbery, they are armed and they reportedly had no fear of the police...going for their guns and lunging after officers. Yet the "local residents" attack the police.....
That's why certain neighborhoods have crime problems.........because they are full of not only CRIMINALS but criminal support networks who, even if they don't engage in criminal activity themselves, run interference for, give aid and comfort to, and generally allow themselves to operate as a criminal support network.........they sometimes call themselves 'community activists'.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's in East Austin in an lower income area with heavy minority concentrations. It's no different than the LA riot phenomenon, just on a much smaller scale.

Not sure what the answer is. When one is poor and likely without good prospect to move up economically, I imagine one's outlook can look a bit different from John Q. Suburbia.

Kalifornian

White Belt
Reaction score
All in all, good (justified) shooting from what I've read in the blog. I'd like to read Sir Lawrence Smith's statement on why he lunged at the Officer.

Latest Discussions