Can you theoretical people stop talking about jabs in fight videos as if you actually have brains?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm here to learn, not make friends or cater to yet ANOTHER system that most certainly picks favorites anyway.
If you are here to learn then think about what people what people say when they respond don't make the mentality that they are speaking from a "group mentality" perspective. Much of what is said here are things based the experiences that person has. If you don't agree then ask them to explain why they think that way.

Keep in mind that we are communicating through typing. It may be difficult to know what tone or attitude someone writes in because we can't hear it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A jab is a quick straight with the forward hand. Either it's a quick straight with the forward hand or it isn't.

Yet people are always saying things like "crappy jab," "sorry excuse for a jab," blah blah blah.

If it's a jab, it's a jab. If it's not, it's not. The only way a jab would be "crappy" is if it's not a jab at all. In which case it would be something else. Most of the time the punches that people are calling "crappy jabs" are just jabs that for one reason or another didn't land. Does that make the jab bad?

Do you theoretical people comment just to do it?
So there's no way to throw a quick straight with the forward hand badly?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A jab is a quick straight with the forward hand. Either it's a quick straight with the forward hand or it isn't.

Yet people are always saying things like "crappy jab," "sorry excuse for a jab," blah blah blah.

If it's a jab, it's a jab. If it's not, it's not. The only way a jab would be "crappy" is if it's not a jab at all. In which case it would be something else. Most of the time the punches that people are calling "crappy jabs" are just jabs that for one reason or another didn't land. Does that make the jab bad?

I can sort of see what you’re talking about;

If you look at street fighter videos, you have quite a few people who are untrained, yet can throw jabs quite well. If you’re not careful, some untrained clown can knock you out, even with a sloppy jab.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Maybe if you were allowed to Spar you would know the difference between a good and bad jab.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
If it's a jab, it's a jab. If it's not, it's not.
I don’t know of an experienced boxer that would agree with you, but that’s sports, not combat. With that said, when altercations should last seconds and not minutes the dynamics of the jab changes, still with variations. In our style Eskrido de Alcuizar, we seriously attempt not to duel. But then again things change in a heartbeat…

Last edited:

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don’t know of an experienced boxer that would agree with you.
Yeah I mean a jab can be a feint..to Trick.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A: What your opinion about ...?
B: How long have you trained?
C: Which MA system do you train?
D: Who is your teacher?
E: Have you ever fought on the street?
F: What color underwear do you have on?
G: ...?

I'm only interested in the subject of "jab". I have no interest in the OP personal information.

Am I wrong?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A: What your opinion about ...?
B: How long have you trained?
C: Which MA system do you train?
D: Who is your teacher?
E: Have you ever fought on the street?
F: ...?

I'm only interested in the subject of "jab". I have no interest in the OP personal information.

Am I wrong?
Kind of. Because a persons training and experience relates directly to their ability to judge a technique.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I though the OP just wants to discuss "jab".

IMO, to step in the back leg and punch with the leading hand fit the definition of "jab".
And therein lies the rub. Someone with different training and experience can have a different definition.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Hi Ugh,

You asked in your title:

Can you theoretical people stop talking about jabs in fight videos as if you actually have brains?​

I do have a brain, I have a CT Scan to prove it. :cool:
I also cannot stop just because you asked me too.
I might even do it more, or start up just to see if I can bait you into making more mistakes and set you for crossing the lines of the forum.
Of course many might call that trolling, yet it actually mostly just replying in kind which has the affect of upsetting many who are only looking for conflict.

You asked within your post (* Above *) two questions:

Most of the time the punches that people are calling "crappy jabs" are just jabs that for one reason or another didn't land. Does that make the jab bad?

The answer it could be a crappy jab because it didn't land.
The idea of a jab is to hit someone.
It can also be to distance them, to set them up. To get them to make a reaction high so you can go low.

Also theoretically, all techniques are ether early, on time or late.
And for those that are early they are either way early (a Crappy jab) , Early - on time, (* Poor terms here, but I am trying to keep it simple as theoretical seems to upset you - and before you or other complain, understand I am trying to reach out and engage *) and Early Late - which would be just a miss. Which could still be a good jab, just the opponent was a half step ahead in moving or leaning.

Now just to let you , some people consider You People to be derogatory , and insulting.
You * insert race here* People can start a fight real quick.
Change the insert to a different descriptor such as religion or organization or style or art and now you have also engaged with a high emotional posts and also with a high troll count for the choice of the words.

It also could get you reported as being a troll and or a problem person.

Now back to Crappy Jabs

Some of the most crappy jabs I saw were done by the early BJJ guys who did it get a person stepping back and hands high and the would rush in for a single or double leg takedown. :D

So, depending upon the plan a Crappy Jab might even be the plan to get the reaction one is looking for. o_O

Good luck with your posting and we can hope that people don't just start replying with "Crappy Post" to you.

I do wish you the best, even though I am a theoretical person, who also spars and fights (* Not recently due to some injuries *) and I check my theories out while I am sparring.
[/QUOTE]

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

While I'm fairly sure this is not a serious post, assuming it is being asked in earnest it betrays a lack of basic knowledge via a vis striking/boxing mechanics. I would recommend a beginner's boxing class to clear this up.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

So... you have no training or experience and you freeze at the mere thought of sparring. You post that people with only theoretical knowledge are stupid and should shut up.
Have you considered taking your own advice?

OP
Ugh

Ugh

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So... you have no training or experience and you freeze at the mere thought of sparring. You post that people with only theoretical knowledge are stupid and should shut up.
Have you considered taking your own advice?
Now you're putting words in my mouth like a mentally-stunted highschooler. Where did I say I freeze up at the thought of SPARRING?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now you're putting words in my mouth like a mentally-stunted highschooler. Where did I say I freeze up at the thought of SPARRING?
You said you would freeze if you were allowed to spar. You also said nobody has ever allowed you to spar. So, ipso facto, you said you would freeze based on the thought of sparring.
Sheeesh. It's not that complicated...

Latest Discussions